Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Because I don't blindly follow Demetriou like you?

I have the capability to support more than one league and code. And just because I follow a club or league, doesn't mean I like the admin.

But anyway, what's it like being a sheep?

Stop crapping on about this admin rubbish as a cover up.

You don't like 'Aerial ping pong' as you so put it or have any interest in Carlton and you only have to go back a couple of pages to see that. You Looooove Soccer and your negativity towards Aussie rules from how boring it is to it's expansion into new markets.

I don't like the Admin much either but I'm not bagging the code as a sport like you have.

Maybe you should reflect on your post history tool and wake up to your ignorance.

Stop crapping on about this admin rubbish as a cover up.

You don't like 'Aerial ping pong' as you so put it or have any interest in Carlton and you only have to go back a couple of pages to see that. You Looooove Soccer and your negativity towards Aussie rules from how boring it is to it's expansion into new markets.

You're right, I don't really like it in it's current form, it was a lot more interesting fifteen years ago.

And I'm interested in Carlton. Just not in games where the result is preordained.

I don't like the Admin much either but I'm not bagging the code as a sport like you have.

Sure you don't.

I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts, mainly because you seem to enjoy driving this thread off topic.

Frankly if it's what is needed to get Perth a new stadium, i'm all for it. That said, 2022 is the one we realistically have a crack at, and if we don't already have a stadium by then regardless of world cups something is seriously wrong.

However, hypothetically if most of the new stadia being built are rectangular, not much help for the AFL at all.

This is a completely moot point. The new Perth stadium was always going to be built as a multipurpose, adaptable ground with roll out seats to cater for oval and rectangular stadium sports. It could be converted from a oval to a rectangle in no time at all. The seats swing out on cantilevers and don't even mark the turf.

If stadiums are built for the cup, there will be ones designed like this.

That all said, heaps of the european soccer clubs have stadiums with bloody running tracks going around the outside of the pitch. I don't think the oval thing is viewed as that big a big deal

I know I said I'd put some rough diagrams of my idea for Hobart on the threat but I'm having a hard time finding the pics so here is a rough idea for a multipurpose stadium for Adelaide.
To hold 60 000. AFL pitch is 160m / 118m (similar to ANZ stadium), a small and intimate pitch which helps with sight lines once reconfigured into a 'rectangle'. The seating for soccer will be at the extreme 13m from the side line on the wing and 18m from the goalline (soccer pitch 105m / 68m).
adelaidex-sectionWEB.jpg

adelaidesoccerplanWEB.jpg

adelaideaflplanWEB.jpg

The ground tier moves forward on rails 15m like ANZ stadium, Etihad Stadium and Stade de France. It is a little different from the hinge swinging ground tier designed for the Perth stadium. I chose this method initially to avoid making a Perth clone and I feel though this method doesn't make a neat rectangle like Perth's, many seats are actually closer to the boundries on the curve. and the centre extremes are no worse of than Perth.

The Perth plan has been designed for economic and ease of movement seeming as it will have to be reconfigured much more than an Adelaide venue. So that is another reason why I opted for the older solution which may be more expensive to reconfigue but will be used far less and leaves a superior oval for the main tenant, Australian Football.

Personally, I find it a bit disconcerting that you attempt to turn every soccer-related thread on this forum into an anti-soccer pogrom.

Seems like a relatively accurate observation to me. The vast majority of other posters I've seen here (except for 'jackmac7', that is) appear to be open-minded and intelligent in their approach to this discussion.

I would have to disagree with RH about our prospects to host a World Cup within the next decade, and about the level of support for the round-ball game in this country.

Also, as I've said before, I think there would be substantial benefit to both the AFL and the A-League from more cooperation, and partnerships between clubs. And I know there are influential people in AFL clubs who agree with me, otherwise Collingwood and Carlton would never have tried to enter the NSL like they did. Granted, I think that was the wrong strategy and wrong timing, but still...

Time to bring this thread back on topic!

The AFL bring a lot more money into this state than the World Cup could ever dream of

What's the Sydney Olympic football competition? MCG was upgraded for the commonwealth games, Docklands was built purely with private money, and the Gabba is not in Victoria.

I never said anything about Victoria. I said Australia.

Docklands was originally supposed to be a rectangular venue but at the time, support for the other codes was low, so it became "multi-purpose" - meaning it has movable stands - which cost too much to move in, so now they don't do it anymore.

I hope so, and Adelaide and Tassie too:thumbsu:

Why? These cities don't have rectangular venues of appropriate capacity, and they already have suitable oval venues - so why would the get oval venues?

AFL will benefit as a by product, but the aim is NOT to build oval venues!

AFL will benefit as a by product, but the aim is NOT to build oval venues!

Considering the main sports in Australia use oval venues, and the fact that after the world cup is completed there will be minimal use for large capacity rectangle stadiums in most cities, it'd be ridiculous not to build oval grounds.

And considering it's not difficult to make an adaptable stadium to cater for both oval and rectangular sports with the new movable seating technology, it just makes economic sense. The cantilever system as proposed for the perth stadium would make configuration changes quick and cheap. The docklands system is antiquated and requires turf to be lifted/relayed, as is my understanding anyway. Given its hard enough to grow grass in there as it is, its no wonder they abandoned it.

No one should want billion dollar white elephants that are useless after the world cup has been and gone

Considering the main sports in Australia use oval venues, and the fact that after the world cup is completed there will be minimal use for large capacity rectangle stadiums in most cities, it'd be ridiculous not to build oval grounds.

And considering it's not difficult to make an adaptable stadium to cater for both oval and rectangular sports with the new movable seating technology, it just makes economic sense. The cantilever system as proposed for the perth stadium would make configuration changes quick and cheap. The docklands system is antiquated and requires turf to be lifted/relayed, as is my understanding anyway. Given its hard enough to grow grass in there as it is, its no wonder they abandoned it.

No one should want billion dollar white elephants that are useless after the world cup has been and gone

For a start, Vic/SA/WA is not "this country". There are five major sports in Australia, two of them use oval venues and three of them use rectangular ones.

I know what you mean about white elephants, and I agree with you. But a 60k multipurpose stadium in Perth, and 25k rectangular stadiums in Adelaide and Hobart will not be white elephants.

Perth had the new multipurpose stadium all but approved, but shelved due to a change of government. I'm only assuming the plan had approval from all major sporting bodies. The multipurpose venue makes sense.

On the Gold Coast, there is a 27k rectangular stadium (which cannot be upgraded), there is a 55k rectangular stadium an hour down the highway, yet there is a crappy oval stadium which will have a new tenant in 2011/2012. Clearly in this case a new oval stadium makes sense.

In Adelaide, a stadium like Perth's would be nice but SANFL will only agree to using a new venue if they have full control - so it's not going to happen. 45k rectangular, downsized after the event.

In Tasmania, there are already three major oval venues (16k, 17k and 22k), and no rectangular, so a rectangular venue fills a gap there (and Tassie will definitely have an A-League team of some description by then!) Alternatively York Park could be converted to have movable stands - proper working ones, like Homebush - I don't know if the cost would be worth it though.

You must also remember that FIFA looks favourably upon bids which provide a "legacy to football" - as mentioned in this article - "FIFA also keen for all host cities to leave a "legacy to football" once the tournament is over." This does not mean a bunch of oval stadiums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth had the new multipurpose stadium all but approved, but shelved due to a change of government. I'm only assuming the plan had approval from all major sporting bodies. The multipurpose venue makes sense.

The major stumbling block was/is control of the stadium .
Currently Subiaco is the most profitable AFL stadium .
A new stadium (under the proposed arrangement) would see it plunge in profitability as higher crowds would be required to return the same money .
The current government is determined not to spend $1 billion for a new stadium .Considering $300 million of the cost is for multi purpose I can see a $700 million stadium being built on a football oval and $71 million on MES as proposed .$300 million for how many WC games doesn't make economic sense .

A new stadium (under the proposed arrangement) would see it plunge in profitability as higher crowds would be required to return the same money .
The current government is determined not to spend $1 billion for a new stadium .Considering $300 million of the cost is for multi purpose I can see a $700 million stadium being built on a football oval and $71 million on MES as proposed .$300 million for how many WC games doesn't make economic sense .

Actually the stadium itself is estimated around $800 million and and extra $200 / $300 million goes into surrounding infrastructure.
Where did you get the figure of $300 million for reconfigeable aspect?
I've never read anything that shows the a break down of the cost.

As for profitability, the WAFC agreed to support the Multipurpose Stadium (and they really did get behind it in the end) when the previous government proposed they underwrite them if the initial financial structure proved weak and that under their figures the WAFC would be $3 million healthier at the new venue and not have to worry about maintainence costs.

For a start, Vic/SA/WA is not "this country". There are five major sports in Australia, two of them use oval venues and three of them use rectangular ones.

On the Gold Coast, there is a 27k rectangular stadium (which cannot be upgraded), there is a 55k rectangular stadium an hour down the highway, yet there is a crappy oval stadium which will have a new tenant in 2011/2012. Clearly in this case a new oval stadium makes sense.

The Carrara redevelopment is about to start, leaving gold coast stadium at about 27,000 intime for the start of the season. It is designed in a way so it can be upgrade to 50,000 plus (for comm games bid)

You use the term major oval very loosely.

Using that definition, there are already major rectangular stadiums in Adelaide and Perth for example. Hindmarsh and M.E.

Yeah I know, it's not glamorous, but it is about the same capacity as Bellerive Oval (which is why I included it) and it has hosted VFL/AFL matches and state league finals.

In the league of Tasmanian stadiums, it is major - when compared to venues in more populous states, it isn't.

The Carrara redevelopment is about to start, leaving gold coast stadium at about 27,000 intime for the start of the season. It is designed in a way so it can be upgrade to 50,000 plus (for comm games bid)

I didn't realise it was starting so soon! I guess it won't be crappy after the current redevelopment - haven't paid much attention to be honest - but it ticks the boxes of a potential 45k+ venue on the Gold Coast.

What is the field size like? I'm just wondering how viewing will be for the WC ... big like MCG/York Park or small like SCG/Adelaide Oval?

Don't people always say that Subiaco is bursting at the seams with all the WCE & Fremantle members who can't get a seat? :p

Don't forget the potential of Wallabies and Socceroos matches - maybe only 1 a year each but they would be sure sellouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back