Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

While it doesn't explain poor shooting I do think there is a mindset in Australia where it's all about team first. It makes us competitive against star filled teams internationally because everyone is built team first but it's probably why we don't develop stars. The US system is all about dictating to the best player which is why often they have so many stars in my opinion as the selfishness and self confidence is encouraged but why the best role players are often international.

I do think there’s an element of that, but that doesn’t explain why we get players into elite pathways and coaching as teens, as every single one of our boomers / fringe boomers / nba players were, and still don’t develop scorers.

I can create space , cross over and step back and create off the dribble and I’ve never had any coaching (just lack size and athleticism).

It’s unfathomable to me that players in elite systems can’t.

What are they just running laps 50hrs a week and touching a basketball on the way out the gym?

I do have a suspicion from the outside that we done our identity as a “team” culture and our coaches buy into that so much they ignore skill development.

I can’t see any other reason our players could have access to years of professional coaching before they even get to college and can’t learn to execute scoring skills.

Last edited:
Why is Australia unable to produce a shot creator?? All our guys seem the same, great D, good team guys, some can hit an outside shot but we don’t seem to produce shot creating scorers…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Traditionally Aussie teams are about heart, guts, determination and punching above its weight. It was about gaining acknowledgement from foreign countries “those guys are tough! I could see number 21 playing in the nba”. Then Aussie media fawn see Americans love us!!!

I can see that culture, teamwork and mate ship are strong. And it’s nice and all. But as others have said you need a go to scorer when the chips are down. Mills is and was it. Where are the others? Are we too unselfish?

I knew Delly be on the plane. But I didn’t think it would be at the expense of Thybulle. What a joke
Behind Giddey and Landale, Matisse Thybulle would have been my next choice as a lock. This team is not good enough to out score the teams we will be playing at the Olympics just to get out of our group. Our only chance was to defend hard. He is the best defender in the squad by a country mile.

I really think Goorg must be going senile like Biden. This is the worst selection decision I can remember. It’s not like he should have been a fringe decision. And to see Delly in the team instead is mind boggling. I mean I love what Delly has been able to do in his career but to pick him and not pick Matisse Thybulle is just astounding. I’m still in shock. Who is going to guard the top line wing players we are going to come up against? Thybulle is a legitimate NBA all defensive team level player. No one else on the team is on that level.

I do think there’s an element of that, but that doesn’t explain why we get players into elite pathways and coaching as teens, as every single one of our boomers / fringe boomers / nba players were, and still don’t develop scorers.

I can create space , cross over and step back and create off the dribble and I’ve never had any coaching (just lack size and athleticism).

It’s unfathomable to me that players in elite systems can’t.

What are they just running laps 50hrs a week and touching a basketball on the way out the gym?

I do have a suspicion from the outside that we done our identity as a “team” culture and our coaches buy into that so much they ignore skill development.

I can’t see any other reason our players could have access to years of professional coaching before they even get to college and can’t learn to execute scoring skills.
I think it's more the type of players we've produced. Simmons*, Exum, Giddey, Daniels are all big and/or athletic guards who would've had no reason to work on a functional jump shot playing against fellow Victorian juniors. Then what do you know, once they make it to the NBA, they get exposed and don't reach the level we hoped.

Green moved to the US when he was 13 or so and can actually shoot more than wide open threes. Probably has a better, smoother handle too.

You have to wonder if we lost an entire generation of potential super duper stars to a system where we don't treat anyone over 6'5 as needing to develop an outside game.

*I know he spent some time at US high schools, but developed here.

Tbf, Delly was coming off a serious neck and concussion injuries. Agreed he was poor and probably shouldn’t have been there as he wasn’t fit but that’s not the case now.

On another topic, it’s crazy that the Opals have their prep without their head coach, that’s fair from ideal.

Also far from ideal is that there are 7 players still active in the WNBA atm, most/all of whom will be in Paris.
But they've been forced to run things this way for a few years now so they're used to it. The assistant coaches know the drill.

Mentally preparing myself for the traditional roll out of all the same old names again when the Opals 12 is announced shortly.

And re. Delly, yeah I think he's clearly a better player today than he was then, so I'm not outraged that he's in the team.

Think we’re still gonna be debating this well after Paris.
Genuinely none of it makes sense. Reports he put together a “relatively impressive camp”, looked pretty good Tuesday, then sat out Thursday in what everyone assumed was a rest… To get cut.

Also far from ideal is that there are 7 players still active in the WNBA atm, most/all of whom will be in Paris.
But they've been forced to run things this way for a few years now so they're used to it. The assistant coaches know the drill.

Mentally preparing myself for the traditional roll out of all the same old names again when the Opals 12 is announced shortly.

And re. Delly, yeah I think he's clearly a better player today than he was then, so I'm not outraged that he's in the team.

Agreed that they will roll with the same players again. I’d have Atwell in but no way it happens and I’d be leaving George home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah exactly. It's time for a new coach and new ideas. Goorjan has hs favourites and that shouldnt be part of his job description.

Goorjian is done after this tournament anyways.. think that might be official??
Trevor Gleeson was on SEN yesterday.. he’s a good option.. he at least would have had the right squad on the plane… (Matisse was in his squad)…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly the last 3 cuts - Thybulle, Cooks & Goulding - all bring things to the table that the Boomers could use.
In isolation I'm not unhappy with any of them being in the final 12.

The selectors went a different direction ... a direction I'm a little sceptical of, but the fringe guys who did make it - Daniels, Delly, Ingles, Kay, McVeigh, Magnay - also do bring their own things to the table as well.
It was interesting and somewhat surprising (but in a good way) to read that Ingles' spot was far from certain until these China friendlies.
I'm not sure both him & Delly should be there at the same time, but I'm not sure about a lot with this squad tbh.

The Boomers look great when they're getting stops and running transition out of them. Guys like Thybulle & Cooks are a big part of that, so I hope we haven't left a bunch of cheap points in Australia by leaving them both out.
And I hope our half-court offence is significantly improved by the 12 we have, because we're going to lean on it more heavily now.

Last edited:
Opals Team:
  • Jade Melbourne
  • Sami Whitcomb
  • Kristy Wallace
  • Isobel Borlase
  • Tess Madgen
  • Steph Talbot
  • Bec Allen
  • Alanna Smith
  • Cayla George
  • Ezi Magbegor
  • Lauren Jackson
  • Marianna Tolo

Gangurrus 3x3 Team:
  • Anneli Maley
  • Alex Wilson
  • Lauren Mansfield
  • Marena Whittle

Opals clinging on for dear life to the past, but thankfully Melbourne & Borlase have made themselves impossible to omit.
Major overhaul coming after Paris.
We still have enough quality here to do some damage though.

No Doncic at the olympics. By the look of it, he can go back to spending the rest of the off-season with Zion. campaigner looked like he’d put on 5kg since the end of the season

Opals Team:
  • Jade Melbourne
  • Sami Whitcomb
  • Kristy Wallace
  • Isobel Borlase
  • Tess Madgen
  • Steph Talbot
  • Bec Allen
  • Alanna Smith
  • Cayla George
  • Ezi Magbegor
  • Lauren Jackson
  • Marianna Tolo

Gangurrus 3x3 Team:
  • Anneli Maley
  • Alex Wilson
  • Lauren Mansfield
  • Marena Whittle

Opals clinging on for dear life to the past, but thankfully Melbourne & Borlase have made themselves impossible to omit.
Major overhaul coming after Paris.
We still have enough quality here to do some damage though.

Do we have any decent young talls?

Is this the knock on effect of AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back