Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooks has the strength and mobility to compete against big forwards like Giannis and Lebron
Strength? No, he doesn't.

And I think he should've made the squad.
I'd rather any one of Dyson Daniels, Duop Reath, Will Magnay or even Josh Green with his length and strength over Cooks defending either LeBron or Giannis.
Genuinely ridiculous call.

Strength? No, he doesn't.

And I think he should've made the squad.

Genuinely ridiculous call.
Exactly ... Cooks ain't NBA but he is the closest thing we had to being able to compete with big wings ... now there is zero zilch nobody (except Jingles ... actually he might be 69 and strong but he is called Slo Joe for a reason... we got nobody)

If.Goorjian had thought to have some prep matches against New Zealand with the squad that didn't make playoffs - (everyone except Dyson Green Giddey and Exum) he might have figured some of this out instead of choosing Magnay and Kay based on performances against a China Team that is getting smashed by NBA summer league teams ... they lost to the Sacramento Kings SL by 50 FFS ( and he used this series to pick the team????)

Now we go into a match next week against USA with a bunch of slow vets and NBA bench players ... Thybulle is the only player that finished the NBA season as a starter ...

(don't even mention Giddey ... his confidence is shot ... he doesn't shoot or play defence ... and his rebound stats are only high because when his man beats him off the dribble he goes straight to the cup for the rebound rather than defend - how is that going to work with nearly zero shot blocking)

Maybe include the full quote champ ...
he isn't in their class but name one person on our selected team that can ...

So who is going to defend Lebron and Giannis and keep them off the boards in the team we selected ??

Both Bogut and Brad Newley said on ‘The Gold Standard Podcast’ that they would have had Cooks in their 12-man squad irrespective of whether Thybulle was selected.

But without Thybulle, you would have thought the Boomers would have put more value in someone like Cooks with his athleticism, versatility and defence.

Need some more accuracy to your claims…

Xavier Cooks former Sydney Kings teammates would have selected him in the team…

Having seen boguts Twitter feed. Yes. Yes I know better than him.
His comments on so many things are all over the place including his thoughts on the Boomers squad. Im really not sure what version of Cooks people are watching because its a different one to the Cooks I saw at the last World Champs apparently..Plus apprently I watched a different version of Josh Giddey at the last World Champs too as he made a pretty terrific debut in terms of international ball as far as Im concerned and he sure as hell played better defence than Cooks did. .

Last edited:
Exactly ... Cooks ain't NBA but he is the closest thing we had to being able to compete with big wings ... now there is zero zilch nobody (except Jingles ... actually he might be 69 and strong but he is called Slo Joe for a reason... we got nobody)

If.Goorjian had thought to have some prep matches against New Zealand with the squad that didn't make playoffs - (everyone except Dyson Green Giddey and Exum) he might have figured some of this out instead of choosing Magnay and Kay based on performances against a China Team that is getting smashed by NBA summer league teams ... they lost to the Sacramento Kings SL by 50 FFS ( and he used this series to pick the team????)

Now we go into a match next week against USA with a bunch of slow vets and NBA bench players ... Thybulle is the only player that finished the NBA season as a starter ...

(don't even mention Giddey ... his confidence is shot ... he doesn't shoot or play defence ... and his rebound stats are only high because when his man beats him off the dribble he goes straight to the cup for the rebound rather than defend - how is that going to work with nearly zero shot blocking)
In all fairness your comments on Giddey are some of the most ridiculous Ive read on any sports forum. Ever. Last World Champs he led Australia in both scoring and assists and it wasn't close while he was also really good defensively.

They are called centres, or otherwise known as a No 5, it's what Reath and Landale do all year long

Cooks is 6foot8 forward that defends other forwards in the block just fine

But you know better than Bogut and Newley
Yep. I know better than Bogut. Most basketball journos didnt have Cooks in the team either. Cooks is horrendous at defending strong bigs. Stop saying otherwise.

Yep. I know better than Bogut. Most basketball journos didnt have Cooks in the team either. Cooks is horrendous at defending strong bigs. Stop saying otherwise.
He doesn't need to defend strong bigs ... that is what Landale and Reath (and Magnay) are for ... Cooks was forced to play against bigs because Goorjian only took one centre to the World Cup

I agree with you this was an epic fail because he Cooks ain't a 5

... this time he has taken three but no one that can defend strong wings (forwards) ... (I used Giannis and Lebron as examples everyone knew) ...

Basically, last World Cup, he should have taken Magnay (instead of White or Cooks) ... and this Olympics he should have left Magnay out and taken Cooks (or White).

Goorjian has selected the team to fix the mistakes of last World Cup rather than the team that will beat the opponents we have in the next 5 games ...

and he has based that Thybulle isn't needed and the old guys can still go at the level ... on their performances against a China Team that has been belted by every NBA summer league team they have played this week

Cooks is a twig. He can’t defend Giannis types. He also can’t shoot at all. So he clogs up and offense unless he has the ball in his hands initiating and we have a dozen better players at initiating. Just give up on Cooks. If he was good enough he’d be long gone from the NBL

Cooks is a twig. He can’t defend Giannis types. He also can’t shoot at all. So he clogs up and offense unless he has the ball in his hands initiating and we have a dozen better players at initiating. Just give up on Cooks. If he was good enough he’d be long gone from the NBL
Joe Ingles defends the 4 position at international level better than Cooks FFS. So many of the Euro bigs are super strong but not overly athletic bigs who can shoot the 3. Just look at Spain, Germany or Lithuania. Cooks at international level is a 3 who can't shoot from deep.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the odds on how long it will take Goorjian to realise what a huge mistake he has made when he looks at the USA team and realises he has no one to defend the likes of Tatum amd Co and realise gee I wish I had someone like Matisse Thybulle to play against NBA standard wings of legitimate size?

I mean who on this team is guarding these guys? Dyson Daniels? Danté Exum or Josh Green? You have to be kidding right? These guys guard opposing guards not small forwards.

Our small forwards are who exactly? Jingles and McVeigh? They aren’t guarding anyone.

This was a massive massive error of judgement. To think that yeah we need Delly’s toughness instead of elite NBA standard wing Defence. We have many guys who can play the point guard role if needed. Even if you didn’t want to play Matisse that much because you don’t trust his shooting, so what, it’s still better to have someone with that skill set on your bench that you can throw into the game to disrupt things if they get a run on or something.

Not that I had us seriously competing for a medal, but our best chance to get out of the group and maybe win a crossover game was to have the best defence we could. And Goorj is going to realise very quickly what a massive brain fade he has made.

I predict he will realise sometime early tomorrow morning at around 2.30am, but it will be too late and we have basically stuffed our chances before the Olympics even started by that selection decision.

Joe Ingles defends the 4 position at international level better than Cooks FFS. So many of the Euro bigs are super strong but not overly athletic bigs who can shoot the 3. Just look at Spain, Germany or Lithuania. Cooks at international level is a 3 who can't shoot from deep.
Ingles is going to defend.Giannis?
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Spain's Starting 3,4,5 are all over 6'10 and about 10 years younger than Slo Joe

Last edited:
Ingles is going to defend.Giannis?
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Spain's Starting 3,4,5 are all over 6'10 and about 10 years younger than Slo Joe
Pretty sure you missed my point genius. I was commenting how utterly woeful Cooks is at defending the low post and saying even Joe Ingles defends that position better than him. Which by the way he does by absolute miles as at least Joe has strength. Serious question. Have you ever actually watched Cooks at international level because overwhelming evidence would suggest you havent.

Last edited:

Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back