Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Real concern that the game has gone past him now he’s 70.
His coaching style hasn't changed to match the changing strengths and weaknesses of the team. How the hell he kept playing Cooks against the Euro bigs last World champs was staggering. Playing Kay at centre for extended periods was also staggering considering we had Reath on the bench for long periods. We need a game plan based on pushing the ball quickly up the floor. Not the backward screen half court offence we've used when Patty Mills was in his prime.

The fact that we only lost by 6 despite some of the coaching decisions is positive I guess.

I hope the team dont believe in that final scoreline and go in as they are since they needa work hard on the backcourt issues to be ready considering they have a hard group.

If this wasnt a practice match we woulda got done by 40+ easily I reckon. We were down by like 20 for most of the game and the USA team gave us everything at the rim late since they werent gonna put their bodies on the line for a praccy match which made the scoreline seem close.

Last edited:
I hope the team dont believe that since they needa work hard on the backcourt issues to be ready considering they have a hard group.

If this wasnt a practice match we woulda got done by 40+ easily I reckon. We were down by like 20 for most of the game and the USA team gave us everything at the rim late since they werent gonna put their bodies on the line for a praccy match which made the scoreline seem close.
I agree but for me there was still some good signs. If this makes sense in the games against China there were only bad signs

Last edited:

I agree but for me there was still some good signs.

For sure.. Id say 75% good basketball... I just dont trust Goorj with fixing the 25%.

I can already picture whats gonna happen if nothing is fixed. Opponents stack the paint, Giddey will just pass the ball around a ton and then Mills will chuck a hail mary shot rinse and repeat. Landale will still clean the boards for tip ins but we'll lose.

I'm holding my tongue on Goorj. He's been a great servant of Australian basketball and coached the team to a bronze medal.

Yes, his personnel decisions have been questionable.

Yes, his line-ups can leave something to be desired at times. As can his coaching.

Yes, he has his favourites.

But we're stuck with it for this Olympics, and this will be his last (if BA has any sense).

The next World Championships we should go in with a new coach and a bunch of youth. This is Ingles, Mills, Kays last hurrah. You can question their selection, but they've been great servants to the country.

At least once this is done, we should see the change so many want to see. And I'd hope the new coach will see more value in Thybulle and Reath.

I'm holding my tongue on Goorj. He's been a great servant of Australian basketball and coached the team to a bronze medal.

Yes, his line-ups can leave something to be desired at times. As can his coaching.

But we're stuck with it for this Olympics, and this will be his last (if BA has any sense).

The next World Championships we should go in with a new coach and a bunch of youth. This is Ingles, Mills, Kays last hurrah. You can question their selection, but they've been great servants to the country.

At least once this is done, we should see the change so many want to see. And I'd hope the new coach will see more value in Thybulle and Reath.

I really would like to see Trevor Gleeson take the team for a stint. He built a great culture at the Wildcats and has since gained additional experience with his NBA stints.

Not my boy Delly though. That man refuses to say die.

On a serious note, hopefully our next coach can mend the relationship with Thybulle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay. We played pretty well tbh, Mills was back in full flight which was good to see. They were missing Bogdanovic.

Reath might as well go and play for South Sudan, Goorjian clearly has something against the guy.

Just finished watching the game just now. Mills and Goorj are clearly lurking on bigfooty reading our comments :p

Right at the start of the game they were running screens to have Mills open and he was knocking down everything so its good to see he still has it. The game was close all the way until the last 6 minutes where we just absolutely dominated them.

Our defence and scoring at the rim is elite which is meta play in FIBA basketball but the outside shooting today was the cherry on top which made us look so good. I trust Goorj now and am excited for us to surprise in the group of death.

Last edited:
Probably best to have a bucket handy before you look at the box score if you didnt watch the game. I simply don't get it.
While whatever we are doing is working, it still makes zero sense.

Furphy another 18pts, 8rebs, 2stls. 4 3PM.

Also a fair bit of noise that the Cavs are looking to bring Travers across this year. Impressed a fair bit in his only summer league appearance so far, 10pts (4-5), 7rebs, 3asts, 2stls, +16 in 20 minutes.

I understand why Reath and Thybulle arent in Goorj's team after watching this game. They are great players but dont fit as well in the gameplan and team that hes trying to run.
Reath is great on the break though. He can also hit 3's as a player trailing on the break. He's way better than Kay and Landale in that area.

Reath is great on the break though. He can also hit 3's as a player trailing on the break. He's way better than Kay and Landale in that area.

I agree. Reath is offensively better than Kay and Landale but I think Goorj prefers a more defensive duo on court that just clogs the paint which is why he is sticking with Kay/Landale as starters and Magnay as bench.

Then all the offense is run through the backcourt and Landale cutting. We'll see come Olympics if hes made the right choice or not but as coach hes entitled to back himself in and we as fans can disagree.

As a casual fan Im slightly optimistic now after todays game compared to yesterday but I totally get that Reath and Thybulle would be unhappy as NBA players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back