Social Science Australian dialects

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally if you're going to talk about Australian dialects, someone who vaguely knows what they're talking about will come in and say that there are three of them: broad (Paul Hogan), standard (Hugh Jackman) and cultivated (Geoffrey Rush). In addition, they'll say that broad and cultivated accents are dwindling in number, as both are associated with social groups that most people look down on, for different reasons. Therefore, the vast (and growing) number of Australian have a 'standard' accent.

But I'm not so interested in that stuff, precisely because most Australians have a standard accent. I'm interested in what differences exist from region to region, state to state. Because even though they haven't really been widely researched, sometimes you can just tell what state someone is from after listening to them talk.

A lot of this has to do with the words we use (I'm just going down to the deli but I might have to park on the verge), but though that is interesting it's also fairly well attested to. What's more interesting and less known is the difference in pronunciation for the same words - a common phenomenon in Britain and the United States, but not well studied here.

Some of these signals have been spotted by researchers, for example:

Salary/celery merger

This is more commonly argued to be a feature among our friends over the ditch, but Victorians are commonly said to merge salary and celery as well. Interestingly, it has been suggested that the direction of the merger has changed over the generations. An older gentleman might say that they're going up to the Elps for the winter, but a teenager might say she saw a halicopter. We have plenty of Victorians here, so is it true? Does it depend on whether they're in the city or the regions?

L-vocalisation

Most common among South Australians, and also a fair chunk of Western Australians, this sound is basically about turning words like 'milk' into 'miwk'. It also affects word like 'pool', which can sound for similar to 'pull'.

Trap/bath split

Probably the most well known of the lot, South Australians are the most likely to go the opposite way for 'chance, dance and advance,' though it seems like different states fall on different lines depending on the word. I definitely go the South Australian way on 'graph', but not really on anything else.

Oo

Queenslanders (and New South Welshmen to some extent) are known for this one: pool, fool, school? Make that pewl, fewl and skewl.

Diphthongs

Never fear, the beer is near. A Western Australian would have three more syllables in this sentence than most t'othersiders would, because words like 'fear' are pronounced with jaw movement (fee-ah), whereas over east they keep their jaw in place.

Though these have all been argued to exist, there isn't much research to back it up. So, even though we aren't researchers per se, we are a large cross-section of Australian societies across different states. Can you attest to these, or any other notable differences? Tasmanians are said to 'just know' a Tasmanian accent when they hear it, but no-one has been able to pinpoint what it is. Others have claimed that, when on the phone, someone will be able to spot that they're from another state just from one or two words. Can this be the case?

I still get asked how long I've lived in Australia.
Same. I'm always asked where abouts from New Zealand am I from.

I also wonder why so many Vics have trouble pronouncing Parmi & Kindy.

I was listening to a program on the ABC wireless a couple of months ago which addressed some of the ‘posh’ sounding South Australian pronunciations.

The presenters were saying that elocution was a compulsory part of schooling there. Hence, even the most bogan amongst them had a degree of poshness.

They did not say when it ended, but it is ingrained in speech patterns now.

I have lived in Melbourne for almost 30 years, but still have WA variations in some of my words.

I get told I have a really ocker accent. Generally rarely and by absolute ****ing idiots and probably just because I say g'day.

Girls absolutely in Melbourne say 'Malbun,' 'halicopter,' etc. Feels like 'elps' is a thing for old people in general, not just Victorians. Same for skewl, pewl. I like it.

I work with a lot of people from other countries ie born over there and have come here as adults. I actually have been mocked for my Aussie accent. True story.

Melbournians definitely switch e's and a's depending on what is said in front of it. For eg. a lot of Victorian commentators pronounce Brandon Ellis as Brandon Alice. Melbourne is pronounced as Malburn. The Adelaide Crows is often pronounced as The Edelaide Crows. Garry Lyon, Nat Edwards, Richo & Cal Twomey are probably the worst offenders.

Melbournians definitely switch e's and a's depending on what is said in front of it. For eg. a lot of Victorian commentators pronounce Brandon Ellis as Brandon Alice. Melbourne is pronounced as Malburn. The Adelaide Crows is often pronounced as The Edelaide Crows. Garry Lyon, Nat Edwards, Richo & Cal Twomey are probably the worst offenders.
Andrew Demetriou. Al. Hayes, 2 votes. Al Hodge, 3 votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too subtle for me to notice differences in accents when comparing the big 5 capital cities, they all sound the same to me, grasping at straws to think there is a difference
As the population ages it should die out but its still there. I can have a good guess at where people are from if they over 40.

Country Victorians finish sentences with but

Ask for a fritz sandwich in Sydney and you get a blank stare. Yet in SA theyll ask if you want sauce.

Too subtle for me to notice differences in accents when comparing the big 5 capital cities, they all sound the same to me, grasping at straws to think there is a difference

I have been able to pick which city people are from based on the things mentioned in the OP, much to the surprise of those people.

My accent changes depending on where I am and who I’m talking to , but it’s closest to a Cultivated Aussie accent . Like many West Aussies, I tend towards the supposedly SA variants ie Dahnce , Chahance , Advahntage etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Social Science Australian dialects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back