Other Australian Gridiron Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Playing Grid-iron

I play in Queensland, and everything Im saying is from my experience here.

There is always a fine line between winning games & team participation. We always try to get rookies on the field, but it can be really hard when a game is tight for the entire 60 minutes and you want your best, most effective players on the field.

Physical ability is only half the game, if the coaches don't trust you to know your assignment and carry it out you will almost never get beyond special teams. The big thing is to go to training, know your assignments and persevere. The first season with little playing time can be the hardest to get through, but if you keep coming back and getting better you will get on the field.

Of course, you may be a freaky athlete who turns up to training and starts getting the ball handed to you at RB in the first 5 minutes.

I play in Queensland, and everything Im saying is from my experience here.

There is always a fine line between winning games & team participation. We always try to get rookies on the field, but it can be really hard when a game is tight for the entire 60 minutes and you want your best, most effective players on the field.

Physical ability is only half the game, if the coaches don't trust you to know your assignment and carry it out you will almost never get beyond special teams. The big thing is to go to training, know your assignments and persevere. The first season with little playing time can be the hardest to get through, but if you keep coming back and getting better you will get on the field.

Of course, you may be a freaky athlete who turns up to training and starts getting the ball handed to you at RB in the first 5 minutes.

A question for you out of interest: what's the conditioning of the local players like? Are guys lifting much in the way of weights and worrying about diet or are people generally turning up as average Joes and doing what they can?

The majority just turn up and see what they can do, but there are always a couple that do the extra work & conditioning.

I've watched some local Queensland action and, while it was good and played on a nice grass Rugby League field, because the spectators weren't allowed beyond the rugby league side line, it was hard to see anything. I used the 12x zoom on my camera to look at some of the action some time. It was cool though because it was the Sunbowl (this one: http://www.gridironqld.asn.au/sunbowl_2008.php, not this one: http://www.sunbowl.org/) and they had a marching band and a radio station turned up.

Are you guys in NSW playing on many hockey (preferably grass) pitches? That seems to be the way to go.

I dream every time I go past a rugby pitch of having the money to convert it into a dedicated Gridiron and having all (or most) of the local league play there all the time. I am not even close to that :).

just noticed your post from a month ago.

the majority of matches in GNSW are scheduled at hockey fields on synthetic turf rather than grass. ground fees are cheap, and the risk of wash outs are reduced. the drawback is the dimensions are smaller than a standard gridiron, and the fields are usually tucked away in some out of the way location so the general public rarely stumble across matches.

unfortunately, many grass fields in Sydney are closed by councils after the smallest amount of rain, and when it happens, it can make re-scheduling a headache. i prefer to play on grass rugby fields simply because it is a proper sized field, but unfortunately, the above are issues for a minor sport which struggles financially. the waratah bowl (the GNSW championship game) is generally scheduled at a surburban NRL stadium with the last year's held at Campbelltown Stadium (Western Suburbs - Wests Tigers), and matches in other years held at Belmore (old Canterbury Bulldogs home ground), Brookvale Oval (Manly) & Leichhardt Oval (Balmain - Wests Tigers).

there's a fantastic field turf facility up on the GC where the nationals were held a last year. it'd be great if there was the same type of facility in sydney, and most importantly, was able to be hired at cost the league could afford.

Hi guys. I am thinking about/going to start playing grid iron for the first time in Melbourne and I was just wondering if anyone else plays?

Also if you have any tips or hints that would be awesome.

as raggetyman said, get down to the very first practice and make a concerted effort to get to every session. unlike many other sports, the focus is more on learning technique and the system of the team rather than conditioning. depending on your abilities and the composition of the club you join, you may start from the get-go, or you may need to do your apprenticeship on ST's. but you'll be doing yourself a favour by turning up to every session.

the type of conditioning required is more speed + strength = power, explosiveness, rather than aerobic fitness of steady state sports we're used to here. at my club, the core guys treat this quite seriously - lifiting weights (explosive exercises, not the BS bicep curls and pec flys the average joe does in the gym) & speed and agility drills (doing these in reps will also work on your anaerobic endurance enough to get by in leagues here in Oz). results speak for themselves, with 7 NSW championships, and a significant number NSW & Australian starters coming from the club.

as raggetyman said, get down to the very first practice and make a concerted effort to get to every session. unlike many other sports, the focus is more on learning technique and the system of the team rather than conditioning. depending on your abilities and the composition of the club you join, you may start from the get-go, or you may need to do your apprenticeship on ST's. but you'll be doing yourself a favour by turning up to every session.

the type of conditioning required is more speed + strength = power, explosiveness, rather than aerobic fitness of steady state sports we're used to here. at my club, the core guys treat this quite seriously - lifiting weights (explosive exercises, not the BS bicep curls and pec flys the average joe does in the gym) & speed and agility drills (doing these in reps will also work on your anaerobic endurance enough to get by in leagues here in Oz). results speak for themselves, with 7 NSW championships, and a significant number NSW & Australian starters coming from the club.

Any tips/resources on the exercise/weights regime used? I've always thought that the running backs/wide receivers/line backers on the field would have a good exercise program - even for the average guy wanting good strength and fitness.

Re: Flag Football in Melbourne

I'd be keen and might be able to get one more

Let me know how you go

I'm interested depending on location. It's been fifteen years since I played so would have to guard the hammies pretty closely!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually officiated the month long series during January back in the day at StK beach. In the final, the organiser gave each member of the finalist teams a guernsey of both teams Supabah teams (to keep also)... same player (T Davis of Denver and Favre? of GB) IIRC and Chargers Punter Darren Bennett came along to do the honoury toss of the coin in the first year and then NRL's Storm, Glenn Lazarus, doing the coin honours.

I also recall 'burning a school friendship' as a good friend I knew back @ high school had a team in flag football (unknowing at the time) so at HT, you change ends.. it's a two half game only. But since they didn't understand the 'defer or take opening possession' rule, they thought the last play of the first half continues to the first play of the second half. The opposition of the day, decided to take possession of the ball as it was their choice.. my high school mates team decided that they'll go to the other end of the field to get ready (defensively)... I was thinking, hmmm, big play nickle package set up.. ok.. so on the snap on the 20, (at the other end of playing field) the offensive go the blow of the whistle... start.. they moved the ball 40 yards in one play as my high school friend's team looked curiously, flat-footed WTF was going on??? so it was 1st and goal to the other team before they knew it. Needless to say, the friend I had @ high school was infuriated with me!! :eek: ...I told him the rules... he just sucked it in..(knew he stuffed up) ..didn't get a good-bye from him either let alone the handshake. He blew it. Interestingly I somewhat was talking to him before the game to reminice about 'good ol' High school memories'.. Shot down in flames now. :(

So, my advice, understand the RULES. it's Non-contact. EJECTIONS can & WILL happen. Mixed teams comps along with Girls/ Mens comps were the way back then. I think even these games were televised on Foxsports. :eek: Ex-Raider (second string) LBer .. can't recall name, was the promo guy at the time.

I actually officiated the month long series during January back in the day at StK beach. In the final, the organiser gave each member of the finalist teams a guernsey of both teams Supabah teams (to keep also)... same player (T Davis of Denver and Favre? of GB) IIRC and Chargers Punter Darren Bennett came along to do the honoury toss of the coin in the first year and then NRL's Storm, Glenn Lazarus, doing the coin honours.

Tcol, and his brothers/friends/cousins/whoever had a team in this... they would've won it as well if they had given me a call. There was some video taken by now Mrs. Tcol, I think, which I've watched. Looked like a lot of fun...

If he reads, he might know the name of the guy...

As for the thread itself, I could be tempted... dependent on dates/times etc...

EDIT: MHT is correct, I had been told the guys name, but he jogged my memory...

I think you're referring to Dwayne Armstrong. I've actually got no idea if he ever got on the field for the Raiders but I clearly remember seeing him play some reserves games for Essendon around 1997.

Bump

Okay so...

I'm moving to Canberra in January and I reckon i'm going to look at joining our of their local teams. (Tuggeranong Tornadoes hopefully).

I'm 6ft, 90kgs, reasonably quick (not WR/HB quick, but fast enough) and have what i'd consider to be pretty good awareness.

What positions do you guys reckon I should be trying to slot into? Keep in mind i've never played gridiron, but am a reasonably quick learner and i'm confident that after a nice pre-season of training, learning the plays and assignments etc, I could be a handy player.

With my body shape etc, I was thinking perhaps CB, Safety/FS, or possibly even TE?

Bump

Okay so...

I'm moving to Canberra in January and I reckon i'm going to look at joining one of their local teams. (Tuggeranong Tornadoes hopefully).

I'm 6ft, 90kgs, reasonably quick (not WR/HB quick, but fast enough) and have what i'd consider to be pretty good awareness.

What positions do you guys reckon I should be trying to slot into? Keep in mind i've never played gridiron, but am a reasonably quick learner and i'm confident that after a nice pre-season of training, learning the plays and assignments etc, I could be a handy player.

With my body shape etc, I was thinking perhaps CB, Safety/FS, or possibly even TE?

All depends if you're more the HUNTER or the COLLECTOR.. HUNTER gives you the licence to HIT with a MIGHTY STING but if you're a COLLECTOR type, you'd want to be Brave and be able to dodge BULLETS in Traffic.. take the catch and GooseStep into the EndZone !!

Keep us all updated with your progress Chadwiko. :thumbsu:

On the homepage...

http://www.gridironaustralia.org.au/

It says there is....

Australia consists of six States (New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania) and two Territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory) and American Football is played in each of them.

Football has been played in Australia since 1983 and is commonly referred to as "gridiron" to distinguish it from the other football codes played here. There is no uniform American football season in Australia. The various State and Territory bodies all play at different times of the year. For example, the competition in South Australia runs from September to March, whilst the competition in New South Wales runs from September to December.

There are currently 73 teams playing football in Australia.

Tho on the links page it doesnt have a link for the Tassie gridiron league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Australian Gridiron Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back