Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Our politicians will never do it. It was virtually political suicide to do the nuclear waste dump.
Problem is we will likely waste 3+ years (if Dutton gets in) and put the energy transition in an even worse position than it already is. Things will get worse (investment will stall) and then Dutton could keep blaming renewables (which will work with voters) and he'll probably pivot towards more gas generation instead.

If I was PM I would buy a <200m2 house that's unassuming but very well designed (some do exist). That way you can still have a nice house, but you don't look that different from everyone else, which the public likes.

Pretty dumb timing from Albo.

Last edited:
If I was PM I would buy a <200m2 house that's unassuming but very well designed (some do exist). That way you can still have a nice house, but you don't look that different from everyone else, which the public likes.

Pretty dumb timing from Albo.

I actually don't see the issue with it and the whole thing just reeks of faux outrage.

Who really cares about the house he bought, buying a house is hardly a dereliction of his duty as PM. It would be no different if it was Dutton. it's a nothing burger. Some of the politicians own up to 7 investment properties, it's irrelevant.

The irony of it all is that most of the faux outrage about this is coming from right wing boomers (who got the all the financial advantages that came with the times). The same boomers who previously were claiming that the housing affordability crisis was only an issue because millennials and zoomers were wasting their money buying takeaway coffees and having avo on toast.

I actually don't see the issue with it and the whole thing just reeks of faux outrage.

Who really cares about the house he bought, buying a house is hardly a dereliction of his duty as PM.

The irony of it all is that most of the faux outrage is coming from right wing boomers (who got the all the financial advantages that came with the times). The same boomers who previously were pretending that the housing affordability crisis was only an issue because millennials and zoomers were wasting their money buying takeaway coffees and having avo on toast.
Yeah on face value there isn't a problem, but it just doesn't look good at a time when housing is becoming unachievable for a larger portion of the population.

My point was more that you can still have a really nice house that wouldn't create a headline and your image would probably be better off in general especially as a Labor politician.

Who really cares about the house he bought, buying a house is hardly a dereliction of his duty as PM. It would be no different if it was Dutton. it's a nothing burger. Some of the politicians own up to 7 investment properties, it's irrelevant.

The irony of it all is that most of the faux outrage about this is coming from right wing boomers (who got the all the financial advantages that came with the times). The same boomers who previously were claiming that the housing affordability crisis was only an issue because millennials and zoomers were wasting their money buying takeaway coffees and having avo on toast.
This is anything but irrelevant when you have a parliament full of landlords deciding laws about negative gearing, capital gains etc and who will all be personally worse off if house prices fall.

This is anything but irrelevant when you have a parliament full of landlords deciding laws about negative gearing, capital gains etc and who will all be personally worse off if house prices fall.

Isn't it a house that he's going to be moving into with his partner?

I'm pretty sure he sold off his investment property last year so I'm not sure how buying a property for his principal place of residence would influence his judgement of those issues.

I'm pretty sure that Dutton at one stage had a massive multi million dollar property empire (he might have since sold them) and his wife owns and operates multiple child care centres. I don't think that affects his ability to make decisions in relation to housing and childcare.

Ultimately If politicians are ruling on self interest rather than the good of the country then they shouldn't be there.

What garbage.

I recall the ALP in opposition referring to Turnbull as Mr Harbourside Mansion?

As much as Turnbull was a knob, his wealth was self made.

Didn’t honest Bill Shorten as opposition leader promise to go after the ‘top end of town’ - which was hilarious as he himself married into one of the biggest silver spoon families in the country?

Rudd’s partner was (is) a multi multi millionaire.

I have no issues with Airbus buying the property - but it’s hypocritical for the ALP and their nuffies to whinge when they had no issues dishing out the verbals to their opponents over the same topic.

Isn't it a house that he's going to be moving into with his partner?

I'm pretty sure he sold off his investment property last year so I'm not sure how buying a property for his principal place of residence would influence his judgement of those issues.

I'm pretty sure that Dutton at one stage had a massive multi million dollar property empire (he might have since sold them) and his wife owns and operates multiple child care centres. I don't think that affects his ability to make decisions in relation to housing and childcare.

Ultimately If politicians are ruling on self interest rather than the good of the country then they shouldn't be there.
Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The rate of investment property ownership for federal MPs is nearly 3x the national average and their portfolios are built on allowances not available to the general public. It just contributes to a situation where they are out of touch of the problems most people are facing.

And no-one makes a decision completely free of personal bias. We're all human.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL

Labor invested in TAFE to the tune of a $1 Billion, latest figures show that only 13% of those that enrolled actually completed their course since January last year.

The joke is that the absolutely incompetent useless Andrew Giles is now the minister in charge after his monumental stuffing up of the Immigration portfolio.

Can this Albanese led incompetent useless ALP Government get anything right?

1729417042695.png
Minister for Skills and Training of Australia, Andrew Giles. Picture: Martin Ollman

Revealed: How many people are graduating with a free TAFE course?​

It’s been lauded as a very successful government policy but now the number of people completing courses through the fee free TAFE scheme can be revealed.

EXCLUSIVE
Just 13 per cent of people who enrolled in the government’s fee-free TAFE courses have graduated with a qualification since January last year despite some of the most popular courses taking just six to 12 months to complete.

The trend, hidden in Minister Andrew Giles’s Question Time documents, indicates that students could be leaving the courses before completing them despite the federal and state governments investing $1.5bn into the program.

Between January 2023 and March 2024, just 13 per cent of enrolments resulted in completed qualifications, according to documents released under the Freedom of Information Act.

In the first six months of the scheme, there were 214,000 enrolments with a completion rate of 28 per cent.
Two of the most popular courses, early childhood and individual support, both take between six and 12 months to complete.

Certificate IV in training and assessment and certificate IV in cybersecurity were also among the top five most popular courses, with both taking between six to 12 months to complete.

The federal government is investing $907m of the overall funding with the states and territories footing the rest.

The Coalition has used the figures to undermine the government’s claims the program has been a roaring success based on enrolments alone.
They are calling on the government to publicly release the number of students who have cancelled their fee-free TAFE courses.

Mr Giles’s own document conceded “there is a relatively low number of completions”.
Opposition deputy leader Sussan Ley said the scheme has failed to make “any meaningful impact in alleviating” the skills shortage.

“We can now reveal what Labor has been hiding for months, Fee Free TAFE is not delivering the scale of skilled graduates we need to deal with the skills crisis,” she said.

“Every time the Prime Minister talks about Fee-Free TAFE he should be asked how many graduates has it delivered, and when will Australia know how many drop outs there have been.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back