Australian white-ball tour of Scotland and England, September 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see England apparently doing a decent professional job and Aus shitting the bed. Lucky win but we won't be so fortunate next year.

Btw Head always gets at least a start against England. We don't have anyone who does that except maybe Salt at times or Malan for like a year.

Especially if they keep selecting a fair chunk of this team.....time to cut the cord with the likes of Marsh, Smith, Starc etc....they have had their time....will never know if others are ready if they don't get a run at it.
Do sense though, that if you are current World Cup champs, players will have to be pushed before they walk in the Aussie setup. Ive been saying it for a while by guys like Smith, Warner should have been gone way before their last T20 World Cup campaign and prior campaign.

That 3rd bowling option tonight got absolutely hammered. Cam Green would have made a bit of a difference but something about the balance of that team didn't seem right at Lords. I think you have to play 1 of Inglis or Carey, and 1 of Marnus/Steve Smith. Their a bit too common for me.

Choosing the right batsman and bowlers for the 50 over format a total different kettle of fish to the T20 format. The fact that selectors tried Tim David in the 50 over format shows how clueless they are about team selection. I feel like Abbotts selection has a similar feel about it. He is hardly threatening and went for 62 off his 7 overs. He could have gone for a ton, Mick Lewis style had he bowled his full set. Englands batsman looked to target him from the outset and unsettle him, and he couldn't handle it. Unfortunately giving the limited number of domestic games going around, selectors are basing this team based on reputation or big bash form.

You think the crop coming through are good?

Who???

JFM averages like 20 in FC cricket lol and even in the format his meant to be good at only averages 20.
Your delusional and uneducated if you think that JFM is the standard of what is coming through

i don’t think, i know they are good

Harry Dixon
Kellaway
Reilly Mark
Sam. K
Callum Vidler
Sam Elliot

These are to name a few, plenty more coming through

Don’t comment if you ain’t qualified to, and using JFM as your point proves that

Is Sam Elliott more of a batsman or a bowler? His dad Matt was a test opener. I know he picked a bag this wicket with the ball but its a question I have been asking myself.

Ive only seen bits and parts of him in state and Big Bash cricket.
Bowler

Clearly a bowler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do sense though, that if you are current World Cup champs, players will have to be pushed before they walk in the Aussie setup. Ive been saying it for a while by guys like Smith, Warner should have been gone way before their last T20 World Cup campaign and prior campaign.

That 3rd bowling option tonight got absolutely hammered. Cam Green would have made a bit of a difference but something about the balance of that team didn't seem right at Lords. I think you have to play 1 of Inglis or Carey, and 1 of Marnus/Steve Smith. Their a bit too common for me.

Choosing the right batsman and bowlers for the 50 over format a total different kettle of fish to the T20 format. The fact that selectors tried Tim David in the 50 over format shows how clueless they are about team selection. I feel like Abbotts selection has a similar feel about it. He is hardly threatening and went for 62 off his 7 overs. He could have gone for a ton, Mick Lewis style had he bowled his full set. Englands batsman looked to target him from the outset and unsettle him, and he couldn't handle it. Unfortunately giving the limited number of domestic games going around, selectors are basing this team based on reputation or big bash form.
To be fair injury and illness have ravaged the team this tour

I do agree on abbot though he looks pedestrian with the ball

Thought it was strange Hardie was dropped when green dog was injured Hardies 40 odd finishing a few games ago was class I thought and he has been tidy with the ball

Your delusional and uneducated if you think that JFM is the standard of what is coming through

Harry Dixon
Kellaway
Reilly Mark
Sam. K
Callum Vidler
Sam Elliot

Don’t comment if you ain’t qualified to, and using JFM as your point proves that
You can add WA boys in Connolly and Beardman to that list, plus young Peake from Victoria, is going to surprise a few with his degree of trajection over the next few years.

To be fair injury and illness have ravaged the team this tour

I do agree on abbot though he looks pedestrian with the ball

Thought it was strange Hardie was dropped when green dog was injured Hardies 40 odd finishing a few games ago was class I thought and he has been tidy with the ball
With the decider on the line, I feel that Aussies may be tempted and have no option to play Hardie over Abbott. Its a chance for Hardie to throw his name long-term into the Aussie setup going ahead.

With the decider on the line, I feel that Aussies may be tempted and have no option to play Hardie over Abbott. Its a chance for Hardie to throw his name long-term into the Aussie setup going ahead.
Well at least Hards can bowl an outswinger at pace...instead of Abbott bowling into the pitch all the time that just sits up and says hit me

Harry Dixon
Kellaway
Reilly Mark
Sam. K
Callum Vidler
Sam Elliot

we've had gun youth for the past 20 years and majority don't cut it when they hit FC level / List A level.

Unless they have hit senior cricket I don't class them in the conversation.

Last edited:

hardie is a long term player (at least in the white ball format).

we fell into the trap of playing a wicketkeeper as a pure batsman on the back of 2 reasonable recent performances.

i personally would've played hardie or short ahead of carey (not that it would've made a difference).

last night team only had 2 changes from the world cup winning XI - warner and cummins for carey and abbott.

a bit of perspective though - it was a rain effected match for starters , white ball cricket can be hit and miss at times.

we do however, need to solidify the opening pair sooner, rather than later.

we only have 1 more odi and the 3 at home this summer before the champions trophy now.

we fell into the trap of playing a wicketkeeper as a pure batsman on the back of 2 reasonable recent performances.

i personally would've played hardie or short ahead of carey (not that it would've made a difference).

last night team only had 2 changes from the world cup winning XI - warner and cummins for carey and abbott.
With that lineup , I did get that feeling that if it was a shorter game it would favour England in that sense. Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Carey to be fair arent suited to the shorter versions and wouldnt get a look-in at the moment in those T20 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian white-ball tour of Scotland and England, September 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back