Movie "avatar"

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: "AVATAR" - the new James Cameron movie to come out in 2009

So whats the deal, are we gonna be given 3D glasses like at Disneyland. Saw the preview on the bigscreen tonight, looked even more fake than on the computer.

not sure what to make of trailer, it just comes across as one of those overblown cgi movies with flashy visuals and little substance atm. Have to give it a chance being a cameron film, but gee i hate cgi with a passion.

The old method of using puppets and costumes look far better and realistic than any cgi could achieve imo. If only they'd ditch the computers and go back to the manual work of constructing elaborate puppets with ultra realistic movement and emotions.
The aliens in the 'alien' films looked amazing and that was over twenty years ago, I can only image how realistic they could make them now.

The old method of using puppets and costumes look far better and realistic than any cgi could achieve imo. If only they'd ditch the computers and go back to the manual work of constructing elaborate puppets with ultra realistic movement and emotions.
The aliens in the 'alien' films looked amazing and that was over twenty years ago, I can only image how realistic they could make them now.

Agree, for now at least. Just look at 'Where the Wild Things are', The costumes or puppetry in that film look absolutely amazing. If it was done in CGI it would just be just another trainwreck kids film like Garfield.

A newer better trailer came out about a week ago. For those that missed it. Looks pretty amazing.

Ben Cousins is an odd choice for the lead role, but it may just work.

[YOUTUBE]cRdxXPV9GNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Fair call on Ben Cousins. Sammy does look pretty similar.

Great that an Aussie is the lead role in this though.

Mates and I are planning to see this at IMAX on Wednesday December 16 (day before general release).

Spoke with a girl at IMAX and she said that the IMAX version will not be cut-down, it is the same length as what is being released to regular cinemas.

Wasn't overly keen on seeing this, but have seen the trailer on the big screen a couple of times and think it will be epic now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Epic as in Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Well reviews starting to come out of the press screenings and all looking extremely positive so far..

Well reviews starting to come out of the press screenings and all looking extremely positive so far..

And reveiwers have grown to hate hi budget science fiction so it's looking good. Im going to go on the 19th.

Am I the only one around here who could car less about seeing this?

Got heaps of free tickets so probably will end up catching it on the big screen, but all the motion capture and CGI stuff to me is a big turn off.

Hopefully Cameron does this interesting concept justice.

Jim Schembri is a ****, he deliberately goes against the grain to try and stand out from the crowd. Most negative film reviewer in Aus.

He is spot on from what I can see.

This is what I feared...

A compulsive envelope-pusher, Cameron invented a pioneering camera system and ground-breaking visual processing techniques for the film, but perhaps he should have spent a little less time obsessing over the technology and a tad more developing the story beyond the compendium of cliches it regrettably is.

Time will tell if Schembri is being a pretentious knob, or if the story does lack depth compared to the effects.

I suspect it will be a little from column A and a little from column B... sound like another Cameron film we all know?

Roger Ebert's given it four stars, and he's generally pretty skeptical when it comes to 3D and Big Special Effects movies.

Will probably give it a look - anyone know if they're doing an IMAX release here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie "avatar"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back