Movie "avatar"

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: "AVATAR" - the new James Cameron movie to come out in 2009

It was crap in 2D....

All those moments where the characters are sitting there having orgasms over the scenery I was thinking "Stupid flipping 3d movie sold out and now I have to watch this!!!"

Doubt ill go rewatch it in 3D

6/10

Oh dear, that's hilarious and really sad.

About as sad as a storyline with a mad American Army Colonel in charge of an entire military operation on an alien planet. Honestly what self respecting soldier would commit genocide on the say so of a Colonel and how did the Colonel have command of foot/armour and air units? That's just crazy :p

It was pretty good still, like I said before the best graphical movie I've seen. After The Hangover it's the best movie I've seen this year. :thumbsu:

Both Zombieland and District 9 were better than this. The story in Avatar was just too weak. You can gloss over the issues and say the pacing was still good, but IMO, you don't need 2 hours and 40 minutes to re-tell Pocahontas. I did see it in 3D on a VMAX which I'm thankful I did. That "new car smell" of 3D visual effects only last an hour though. After that you're left with bland story telling and cheesy music. :thumbsdown:

Damn person that sold the ticket didn't mention it was one of those 3d movies (I've never seen one in 3d before) and I didn't get any glasses. About 3 minutes into the movie I was thinking... "WTF is wrong with the screen?" and looked around and everyone's wearing sunnies :p

:D

Brilliant.

This was really disappointing.

Visually and technically it was brilliant.

In terms of plot and characters it was very weak. It was just one cardboard cut-out after another.
  • Hero with nothing to lose. Check.
  • Bitter know-it-all with a heart of gold. Check.
  • Crazy Army guy who doesn't get it. Check.
  • Sceptical native who eventually comes around. Check x2.
  • Tough chick. Check

The whole film was fairly predictable after about ten minutes. The attempted humour was ordinary. I enjoyed spotting all the rip offs like Pocahontas, Star Wars, The Matrix, Apocalypse Now and every other movie ever made. The highlight was a kid chucking up in front of me with about ten minutes to go.

Waste of $300 million.

About as sad as a storyline with a mad American Army Colonel in charge of an entire military operation on an alien planet. Honestly what self respecting soldier would commit genocide on the say so of a Colonel and how did the Colonel have command of foot/armour and air units? That's just crazy :p

It wasn't a military operation, the soldiers were mercenaries working for 'the company', this is explained in the first couple of minutes.

Regardless, history would suggest plenty of soldiers have been willing to attempt to commit genocide when ordered to do so.

I was pleasantly surprised by this film, as I thought it looked crap from the trailer. How wrong I was, it was a very good film. The world created was fantastic and really drew you in, story and characters were solid without being outstanding, and the effects were great. 8.5/10 from me.

really enjoyed it overall. The whole noble savage thing is so 19th century and did start to get a bit tedious. The story was one huge clique, but the movie is so well made and visually superb that you forgive it its faults.

It was like Custers last stand set in on another world? But I think most people will enjoy it though for its superb visuals. Cameron must be sniffing a few oscars for this one

That was an amazing experience. Great to sit there and be transported to another world for a few hours. I reckon my eyes will be beating off over what they saw today...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw it tonight, my friends loved it but I saw past the visually stunning 3D graphics, and at its heart it was a pretty stupid film. The story was as clichéd as they come really, there were times where I almost laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was.

I'd give it 3 stars, it was good but definitely not great. Coming from a director like James Cameron, I was pretty disappointed - the storyline was very weak, and the directing was the opposite of revolutionary. The way in which all characters acted was, as I said, extremely cliched. It felt like an old-time war movie, only set in the future. I kept expecting Schwarzenegger and Weathers to burst out with a machine gun and hunt some aliens.

So enjoyable but too flawed to really love, at least for me.

I watched it tonight. The storyline was a little pocahontas in space, reminded me of the films Dancing with Wolves" and "The New World" with a touch of "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within"; in a way this film is one of the first to finally live up to the special effects hype, somthing explored long ago with films like "The Spirits Within".

Honestly i did not mind the storyline it's be just a few things annoyed me through the film, some of them understandable like Sully being incoherent in a few scenes, in the end there are not allot of great new plots coming through Cinema these days and i found the concept of Pandora and all it's phantasmagorical plants and inhabitants a very special concept. The concept just works and the graphics are just incredible, the fact that Neytiri was totally digital amazes me.

5/5 or 9.5/10.

Very much agree with this, although I think this is one of the rare cases where it can be forgiven because of how rich and rewarding the whole experience is.

I disagree. So much effort was put into the technical side, I find it really annoying that they didn't match it with the script.

I give it a 7/10.

CG was great, the visuals were fantastic. But the plot was predictable and the characters one dimensional.

What I found odd is that Cameron spent basically zero time developing the love story. Considering that was basically the whole reason Sully sided with the natives, it was strange. I'm still not sure why the alien chick loved him so much. Cause he was a good warrior? So were the rest of them.

I just found it odd, since in Cameron's last movie he spent about 80% of it developing the romance.

I give it a 7/10.

CG was great, the visuals were fantastic. But the plot was predictable and the characters one dimensional.

What I found odd is that Cameron spent basically zero time developing the love story. Considering that was basically the whole reason Sully sided with the natives, it was strange. I'm still not sure why the alien chick loved him so much. Cause he was a good warrior? So were the rest of them.

I just found it odd, since in Cameron's last movie he spent about 80% of it developing the romance.

i thought it was because of his strong connection to Eywa (started by the flowers that gravitated to him).

Oh, and I haven't gone wow at the visuals that much since I saw BulletTime in the Matrix.

I saw this yesterday afternoon, and like many others, I thought it was visually stunning, but a bit clichéd story-wise. Still, I'd highly recommend seeing it, as there were moments where I just thought to myself "this is amazing" regarding the visuals. I had to duck out to the men's to throw up about 3/4 of the way through, because of motion sickness due to the 3D. Even today I still have a bit of an eye headache (if that makes sense).

The plot was formulaic but it didn't bother me so much because of the visuals and the execution. Not a great movie, but a heck of a lot of fun. Perfect summer popcorn fare.

Some of the dialogue was pretty cringeworthy though. That was my biggest problem with it - it really breaks the spell when you hear a truly awful one-liner.

I've heard it called Dances with Wolves in space but never having seen 'Dances with Wolves' I can't really comment.

It did remind of the Battle of Endor from 'Return of the Jedi' though. Only it was longer and more serious.

Let's face it, the storyline is going to be the thing that everyone cites when being negative towards it. That's fair enough too as the storyline is weak.

However the visuals are what made it for mine. I certainly didn't feel like I was sitting there for nigh on 3 hours. I was completely swept up in the world Cameron created and the 3-D was great fun.

I'm just glad to have James Cameron back making movies and making them in the genre he is best known for.

The plot was formulaic but it didn't bother me so much because of the visuals and the execution. Not a great movie, but a heck of a lot of fun. Perfect summer popcorn fare.

Some of the dialogue was pretty cringeworthy though. That was my biggest problem with it - it really breaks the spell when you hear a truly awful one-liner.
Unobtainium anyone?? :eek:

Don't know if there is any substance to this but my engineering brother told me that he and his engineering mates often used the phase - "hey, anything is possible if you get me some unobtainium"

I'm hoping for some sort of in-joke cause I cringed when I first heard it.

Yeah, I think unobtanium is a bit of an engineering/science weenie moniker for something with impossible attributes (like a 100% frictionless material).

Still, it sounded freaking stupid in the movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie "avatar"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back