Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I saw a few forgettable names like L.Williams and N.Carter creep up in another thread, and I thought we could dedicate a whole thread to mediocre, hack, flash in the pan, whatever you want, players from years gone by. It is the off season after all.

Maybe a short bio to accompany the player you name. Mediocrity is a prerequisite, no need to mention decent players.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Scott Chisholm. Traded in from Fremantle at the end of 1998. Had massive wraps on him and was expected to be a good acquisition to a side that made the prelim that year. Played about a dozen forgettable games, and was renowned for panicking and coughing the ball up in our back half. Gone within 2 seasons.

Chris Lamb.

Played 21 games between 1999 and 2004 and kicked one (spectacular, I assume) goal. Big wraps on him coming into the system but never became the player we were hoping for. Played some great footy for Sandy in their golden years. :thumbsu:
If i remember rightly his last ever game for us he was knocked unconscious and stretchered off in the goalsquare

Gary Moorcroft- Traded in after mark of the century, pretty sure he never even played a game for us

Shannon Motlop- Pick awarded to us for the passing of Troy Broadbridge, would be lucky if he played 2 games.

Cameron Hunter- Always spoke about as the son of a champ an yet was just completely and utterly spuddalicious

Wheatley was far from average, good player cut down by injuries.
Exactly.

This thread is pretty distasteful. A large percentage of players who make the AFL don't become a good or great player. It's one thing to be critical of average players that are still on our list, but it's poor form to be slagging off at players who are long gone.

Wheatley was far from average, good player cut down by injuries.

Wheaters was a great player, just a little slow. He played taller than he was, I always thought he could have been groomed to take over CHF after Ox retired.

Isaac Weetra
Jace Bode
Cameron Johnston
Danny Hughes
Ben Beams
Paul Johnson

Ezra Poyas

Ross Funke

The footy show years back ran a story about Ezra Poyas when MFc overlooked him in the draft and Richmond took him. It was believed that the recruiters wanted to pick Poyas instead of Green with our 1st pick in 1998, however Gutnik over ruled them. Diamond Joe didn't like the idea of MFC having a jewish player playing football on the day of Sabbath. If this was indeed the case, Diamond Joe helped us out in a big way.

Graeme Yeates- As a kid we were good friends with John Northys dad. This was obviously when he coached the dees, he would always get me signed jumpers, posters, football ext. For some reason as a little tacker I loved Yeates so all the stuff I got signed was by him. Can't believe I never got him to Lyon, Viney or Stynes signed stuff.......Oh well either way I have some pretty cool signed Yeates gear.

If i remember rightly his last ever game for us he was knocked unconscious and stretchered off in the goalsquare

Gary Moorcroft- Traded in after mark of the century, pretty sure he never even played a game for us

Shannon Motlop- Pick awarded to us for the passing of Troy Broadbridge, would be lucky if he played 2 games.

Cameron Hunter- Always spoke about as the son of a champ an yet was just completely and utterly spuddalicious

Moorcroft 3 games
Motlop 10 games

We've made some horrific decisions with mature aged recruits in years gone by

Craig Turley for Andy Lovell anyone ? :confused::confused::confused:

Nuh that was last round 02 after he'd done a bloody creditable job replacing Nicholson after he did his knee. Didn't look good but he came up next week.

Couldn't get a game the next year despite having been decent when given a go, and when he did finally make it back into the team he got massacred by Ian Perrie (!) to the tune of four goals in the first quarter and then got the arse.

Nuh that was last round 02 after he'd done a bloody creditable job replacing Nicholson after he did his knee. Didn't look good but he came up next week.

Couldn't get a game the next year despite having been decent when given a go, and when he did finally make it back into the team he got massacred by Ian Perrie (!) to the tune of four goals in the first quarter and then got the arse.
Wow, I thought my obscure memories of players was good. I ain't got nothing on you!

Clearly you'd remember Michael Clark's one game, one kick, one goal performance at Colonial Stadium against the Saints around about the same time?

ps. Thread is not intended to be bad taste. If anything I reckon it's good to reminisce about average players from the past - as they often fade into obscurity pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Lamb had a bloody decent 02' season. Shame he never quite kicked on though.

Luke Williams took his sweet time getting to 50 games. Almost holds some sort of record for it.

Wasn't 'average' by any stretch, but Peter Walsh definitely played beyond his abilities when he was with us. Always liked that ranga.

Anyone remember Craig Ellis who we traded in from the Bulldogs? Go injured one day and never saw him again.

Peter Vardy didn't play all that many games with us, but he killed it when he did get on the track.

Wasn't 'average' by any stretch, but Peter Walsh definitely played beyond his abilities when he was with us. Always liked that ranga.

Peter Walsh is one of my all time favourite players. :thumbsu:

I think we (indirectly) received Michael Newton when we traded him, too. Have to give quality to get quality, I suppose.

Peter Walsh is one of my all time favourite players. :thumbsu:

I think we (indirectly) received Michael Newton when we traded him, too. Have to give quality to get quality, I suppose.

Ive said it before an ill say it again, that generation of HBF's we had in the early to mid 2000s were no were near the most talented , but shit they all bled red and blue and they all got the most out of themself

Im talking Peter Walsh, Paul Wheateley, Nathan Brown ( One of my fav players) Daniel Ward

How different would history have been if James Cook hadn't done his ankle at the SCG? He'd just kicked six, Neita was in the backline and down he went. Next thing we're in a Grand Final, Cook is delisted and Neitz is on his way to being our all time greatest goalkicker.

BUT.. if Cook had stayed fit and we'd gotten at least a couple of years out of him with Neita dominant down back could we have done any better? Not hard to do better than 2001 but who knows.

Who ever named Ben Beams... I am coming at you!!!

Haha. Don't worry Benny. You played 23 more AFL games and in one more AFL grand final than most of us blokes. :thumbsu:

Ive said it before an ill say it again, that generation of HBF's we had in the early to mid 2000s were no were near the most talented , but shit they all bled red and blue and they all got the most out of themself

Im talking Peter Walsh, Paul Wheateley, Nathan Brown ( One of my fav players) Daniel Ward
Throw the best of the lot of them, Matty Whelan in there too.

Haha. Don't worry Benny. You played 23 more AFL games and in one more AFL grand final than most of us blokes. :thumbsu:

But seriously probably the worst game in a GF in recent memory ..split between Leon Davis 2010 drawn game or the entire Port side 07...

Mark Bradly anyone?

Matthew Bishop pre Port...

Damien Gaspar

Remove this Banner Ad

Average players from years gone by

Remove this Banner Ad

Back