memberforever

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC
Besides Harris and Grant our back line isnot tough enough, especially the smaller framed bodies such as Murphy, Hargrave, Gilbee, Power, McMahon and even Smith. Against the Eagles, the back line just got pushed aside by the West Coast midfield, even Matera pushed past Smith and kicked a couple. We need to build muscle and tackle harder. Has McMahon ever laid a tackle?

memberforever said:
Besides Harris and Grant our back line isnot tough enough, especially the smaller framed bodies such as Murphy, Hargrave, Gilbee, Power, McMahon and even Smith. Against the Eagles, the back line just got pushed aside by the West Coast midfield, even Matera pushed past Smith and kicked a couple. We need to build muscle and tackle harder. Has McMahon ever laid a tackle?

McMahon had three tackles credited to him against the Eagles.

Suggest that we need to include Morgan next week to add a bit of size but its a shame that neither Koops or Robbins appear to be in the senior team calculations at the moment.

memberforever said:
Has McMahon ever laid a tackle?

Whilst I agree we need a tougher backline, I don't agree with last comment. McMahon has improved this year and has laid number of good tackles.

All these people that say he should be moved from the backline, please give a valid alternative(because I don't see one) with their reasoning.

ErnieSigley said:
All these people that say he should be moved from the backline, please give a valid alternative(because I don't see one) with their reasoning.

Shane Birss would be a good option for a role on a HBF allowing McMahon to play on a wing.

ErnieSigley said:
:)Ok one.
However if people are bagging McMahon's disposal then they will scream at Birss's.

Well I'm not bagging his disposal although it does crumble a bit when under pressure. I really think the McMahom experiment has more or less worked but it might just be timely to move him onto a wing. I'm definitely not saying he should be dropped.
As for Birss I think he is suited to a role in defence because he did so well there late last season as a creative HBF. His kicking is not as good as McMahon's in the open but I think it might be a bit better under pressure.

do the dogs like that bit of greunt we had with southern and kreter in the side. maybe we should push boyd or a mitch hahn on do the hbf to add that bit of grunt we need

as for mcmahon i fell he is more of a wing/midfield then he is a backman

I agree with Birss there as he does have the pace (Cross or Boyd don't) and he is exactly the hard nut the defence needs. There are too many "pretty" disposes of the ball in the back half, sometimes saftey is the best policy.

Dry Rot said:
Who do we have back there who inspires fear?

Harris perhaps, but we really need some Archer/Scott brothers types.

hargrave rawlings are not tough men and there our 2nd and 3rd talls in defence
morris has a bit strength but i carnt see many more

To harden our back line,
Consider this:

B: Hargreaves, Harris, Morris (according to hype)

HB:Hahn, Rawlings, Gilbee

Minson to take centre bounces, then drop back as a spare
man in defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back line not tough enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back