Bad accents

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a fairly minor role, but Jack Thompson's (allegedly American) general in Broken Arrow has the most amazing accent I've ever heard.

I like to think that it's Jack getting one back for all the times we Aussies have had to listen to Americans butchering our accent, but the reality is probably much less fun.

also the simpsons episode when they come to australia. poor effort

The Simpsons did a pretty poor accent in that Bart vs. Australia episode, especially when the judge says "hear ye hear ye, this sussion us now in order" and the kid on the "eeft eets an emergency then".

Bart vs. Australia was a deliberate piss take on Australia and Australian stereotypes. The accents were intentionally bad.

Bart vs. Australia was a deliberate piss take on Australia and Australian stereotypes. The accents were intentionally bad.
In the Audio Commentary they say they got the accents pretty spot on :eek:

Brad Pitt in Snatch

I'm not entirely sure if it's bad as such, because I'm not sure how that accent in supposed to sound, but it's just impossible to work out what the hell he's saying.

Brad Pitt's efforts do to an Irish accent in The Devils Own was one of the worst accents ever in movies.

And yet his accent in Snatch was one of the best ever.

Iv'e met a few Tinkers over the years and he was spot on with his imitation of them.

And they are very hard to mimic.

Brad Pitt's efforts do to an Irish accent in The Devils Own was one of the worst accents ever in movies.

And yet his accent in Snatch was one of the best ever.

Iv'e met a few Tinkers over the years and he was spot on with his imitation of them.

And they are very hard to mimic.

The Irish accent is impossible to do perfectly, because there are about 5 Irish accents.

My cousins from Belfast reckon they can't understand people from Dublin, and that they all sound like leprechauns. That could just be racism though.

It's amazing how many accents small places like Ireland and especially England have. There are even variations depending if you grow up in the north side or south side of a town. Obviously it's because of how long the different cities grew independent of each other for a long long time.

In Australia the only variations I can tell are a slight pommy accent in some South Australians, Queenslanders sound a little different sometimes (more so what they say such as "bud").

Brad Pitt in Snatch

I'm not entirely sure if it's bad as such, because I'm not sure how that accent in supposed to sound, but it's just impossible to work out what the hell he's saying.

Err, that was kind of the point. He was playing a pikey and that's how they talk. He actually did a great job of it.

It's amazing how many accents small places like Ireland and especially England have. There are even variations depending if you grow up in the north side or south side of a town. Obviously it's because of how long the different cities grew independent of each other for a long long time.

In Australia the only variations I can tell are a slight pommy accent in some South Australians, Queenslanders sound a little different sometimes (more so what they say such as "bud").

Melbournians talk faster than the rest of the country imo - probably because we have such a large irish and italian background. Queenslanders talk the slowest. Adelaidians sound english. Sydney people sound a little bit pommy, butn are probably closest to the "true" Aussie accent.

It stems from the origins of Anglo-Saxon England. Basically, we were never one people and various peoples from northern Germany migrated at once, and those people had their own dialects of Olde German. The reason northerners in England sound differently from southerners is the north was where the Angles went while in the south it was the Saxons - hence places like Essex, Wessex and Sussex which just mean East Saxon, West Saxon and South Saxon. East Anglia just means East Angles. Then throw in the Norman French and living so close to the Welsh and Scottish you get some very odd accents in different parts of the country.

I'm a Londoner but a fair chunk of my family come from Durham and Sheffield. I understand the Yorkshire accent well enough, but I have to listen carefully if I want to understand a word of the Durham accent. It sounds like incomprehensible Scottish more than anything.

I had no idea what accent he was doing when first watching Life Support

[youtube]_VRl--AAOs0[/youtube]

And just when you thought it couldn't get worse, his replacement just couldn't be arsed

[youtube]YFTQi7WT5sg[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Irish accent is impossible to do perfectly, because there are about 5 Irish accents.

My cousins from Belfast reckon they can't understand people from Dublin, and that they all sound like leprechauns. That could just be racism though.

That's because alot of Northern Irish have a Scottish sound to their accents.

The hardest to understand accents are over on the west coast around Kerry,Clare,Cork, Galway areas. Has to do with the areas remoteness and the higher use of gaelic further into the newer century.

Dublin accents are not disimilar to certain English accents so not so hard to understand.

Here's a good summation of a few of the accents though

In Derry they don't talk at all, they sing.

In Ballymena they sound like Australians

In Belfast they have a very harsh accent, and follow every sentence by "so I did" or "so it is"

In many parts of the North, they sound Scottish

In Donegal, you usually can't even tell if they are speaking English or Irish, and they say "Good man" all the time.

In parts of Dublin, they sound like they are from Liverpool or Birmingham, oh hang on a second, they are.

In Finglas they speak Polish or Latvian.

In the liberties they sound like Father Ted.

In Cork, they have a very different accent and every sentence ends "like" or "it is I suppose", and every sentence contains the 'f word' at least twice.

In Limerick, nobody speaks at all because they are too scared of pissing off a crimelord and taking a bullet or a knife.

In Tralee, they don't speak in normal language, everything is a parody laced with the phrase "what a gobshite thing to [think/do/say]

In north Armagh they sound like that gobshite Paisley

In South Armagh, nobody knows how they speak because nobody who has heard it has lived long enough to tell.

In Newtownards, it is hard to guage an accent because the only thing anyone ever says is "half a cram of smack please mate"

In East Belfast, you can't hear the girls [locally known as 'Millies'] speak at because the windchime effect of their 812 pairs of unfeasibly large earrings drowns it out, and you can't hear the boys ['Spides'] because they are revving the ar*e off their 30 year old crap car

That clip of Natural Born Killers takes me back. R D Jnr was doing about 4 different accents and didn't get any of them right. ****ing priceless!

Melissa George's American accent on Alias was so bad they had to write in a line about her character being born in Australia, growing up in England and moving to America as an adult.

Emily Blunt's Australian accent in Irresistable was pretty good.

In the Audio Commentary they say they got the accents pretty spot on :eek:

I saw Dana Carvey (SNL, Wayne's World) do a guest spot on Leno once, and did a few impersonations - which are usually fantastic - but his Crocodile Hunter was an absolute backyard abortion. The usual Cockney/Kiwi clusterfolk with every second word being "CRROIIIIKOIIIEEEEYYY".

I was facepalming on the lounge while the audience reaction was such that they were watching the real Steve Irwin.

Either we're so desensitised to our accent we don't hear ourselves the way others do, or the rest of the world is Aussie tone-deaf.

That's because alot of Northern Irish have a Scottish sound to their accents.

The hardest to understand accents are over on the west coast around Kerry,Clare,Cork, Galway areas. Has to do with the areas remoteness and the higher use of gaelic further into the newer century.

Dublin accents are not disimilar to certain English accents so not so hard to understand.

Here's a good summation of a few of the accents though

haha I met a few from Limerick too, could not understand a single ****ing word they said, even when I asked them to slow the **** down.

My ancestry (grandparents generation) are mainly from Derry and Belfast, I can understand those accents fine - but the further south and west it goes, the less I can understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad accents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back