Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

I have some serious doubts on this. He’d surely have to have had a reasonable substantial letter or report regarding his mental health. I assume he’d have some sort of separation anxiety or something to have gone to those lengths. Also I’d have thought the AFL would have wanted something substantial or this is draft tampering. Perhaps interstate clubs didn’t want to follow up as they thought maybe he’d be too much trouble. Anyways still think if this was the case the AFL would have investigated it. Maybe they did and he had sufficient documentation.

Last edited:
I have some serious doubts on this. He’d surely have to have had a reasonable substantial letter or report regarding his mental health. I assume he’d have some sort of separation anxiety or something to have gone to those lengths. Also I’d have thought the AFL would have counted something substantial or this is draft tampering. Perhaps interstate clubs didn’t want to follow up as they tought maybe he’d be too much trouble. Anyways still think if this was the case the AFL would have investigated it. Maybe they did and he had sufficient documentation.

If it is true, then I can foresee about 20 players with the same issues next year. Not hard to get a GP to diagnose you with depression and anxiety.

If it is true, then I can foresee about 20 players with the same issues next year. Not hard to get a GP to diagnose you with depression and anxiety.

Exactly. Due to their very nature there is no test for either. You can't do a blood test and prove a person has depression. It is a very real condition of course, but it is also much more open to people making it up than most other conditions.

but I'm sure there are hundreds of examples of kids who haven't wanted to move but did so because they were drafted elsewhere, and then loved it and made their own life in their new state.
Ollie Wines is a case of this. Port was told unequivocally that he would request a trade back to Victoria at the end of his rookie contract. That was ended 4 years ago.

It’s not like he can just rock up to a random gp for a 10 minute consult and get a handwritten medical certificate and that all of a sudden means he isn’t suitable to work interstate.
Nah standard medicare mental health plan appointments are 1 hour long. And the certs are generally printed out.

The way things are heading, its only a matter of time before a player sues the AFL and/or club if he is drafted to an interstate club, against his wishes.

Everyone says this but the AFL draft system falling like the NRL's is not a guarantee. That one failed for being far more onerous, comparative drafts like the NFL and NBA ones have survived for far longer.

Plus the AFL have other levers at their disposal to keep the draft intact. For example, the AFL control funding and fixturing, they have the means to cripple virtually any club (except perhaps West Coast) both on and off field if they recruited a draft dodger. Hypothetically, had Smith challenged the draft, would a club recruit him if they knew they could look forward to 2 Tassie trips, 1 NT trip, 1 Cairns trip, and no MCG access, plus slashed distributions. If it's potentially going to cost him his career, then there's little reason to challenge the draft.

Also i believe Darcy Fogarty told clubs at his draft interviews in 2017 that he was going to return home to SA once his initial contract expired. To be honest, I believe Charlie Curnow did the same thing at his interviews (Crows and Suns were rumoured to be very keen on him)

That's not draft tampering though, that's being transparent about your intentions. It'd only be tampering if they threatened not to play if drafted.

I like how everyone reads one BigFooty (the bastion of truth) post, takes it as absolute gospel and proceeds to judge the kid as harshly as possible.

I like how defensive Dogs fans are over this. :$

This isn't only a BF rumour, it was mentioned in the Herald Sun prior to the draft. The player wasn't named, but it isn't hard to figure out now.

Do American kids pull this in the NFL, NBA? Or do they understand that if they sign up to a national competition they may have to play anywhere in the nation.

I think there has been rare cases where top draft picks have refused to go and play for the Canadian teams Vancouver and Toronto, though over there at least those teams have the right to trade them on to the destination of their choice (not the players)

I like how defensive Dogs fans are over this. :$

This isn't only a BF rumour, it was mentioned in the Herald Sun prior to the draft. The player wasn't named, but it isn't hard to figure out now.
So a BF, SEN and HS whisper rumour. Could be legit then:D

as someone who has mental health issues there is no way id nominate for the draft at all I'm sorry but this is a flog move from him
I have no idea what your situation is at all but I would ask the question if you lived in Melbourne and had a 10/18 chance of still being in Melbourne, would that change your thinking at all?

Again I don't know you or your situation so I'm not having a go at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as someone who has mental health issues there is no way id nominate for the draft at all I'm sorry but this is a flog move from him

Is your mental health issue the same as everyone else’s?

IMO if you claim a medical condition that prevents you from moving interstate that should forfeit your right to enter the draft, since its entire premise is based on participants agreeing to go wherever drafted.
There was no law preventing GC or Port taking him, he just made sure they would see it as a risk.

Given this is the first time a player has apparently presented medical certs, I don't see why all of a sudden we need to wring our hands about this becoming a regular occurence.
Personally, I wish Smith no success and I’m sure as he matures he will regret his behaviour and the reputation he’s now earned.

That's a reflection on your character, rather than a teenager you've never met. I hope you mature enough to stop being such a petty, vindictive person.

It's weird that people think this. I meet literally hundreds of Chinese people through my work and have never yet met one with that surname, unless you mean "Qin", which sounds more like tchin or even tshin, and isn't that common anyway, compared to the actually common surnames (e.g. Li, Liu, Zhang, Chen, Wang, Zhao, etc.).

Not saying he's a huge racist, more likely just a huge moron, but thinking lots of Chinese people are called Chin is like imagining all Australians ride kangaroos to work.

Good comparison. If someone jokingly asked if you, as an Australian, rode a kangaroo to work would you:

a) be offended at their racism; or
b) laugh it off?

Anyone suggesting any Chinese person would be offended by this has gone off the deep end.

Would you post something like that on social media?

I’m not excusing him of shooting Bambi, but he is still taking the piss out of another culture. We’re quickly finding out this kid may not have the greatest character.
Perfect example of the mindless, moronic finger pointing that goes on these days. Ask yourself how exactly is this racist GroggSquad and have a really long think about it.

Perfect example of the mindless, moronic finger pointing that goes on these days. Ask yourself how exactly is this racist GroggSquad and have a really long think about it.

You aren't one of those people who point out that the people judging someone else for their failure to be non-judgemental are themselves being judgemental are you? ;)

Does he also have a letter from his parents saying the dog ate his homework?

Why would you want a player who is already coming up with excuses before he’s even played a game.

Will he get a letter from the same doctor saying he’s tired and needs a rest if pre season gets too hard?

If he medically can't go interstate, does this extend to travelling interstate week to week for games, or just living there? I don't know a lot about mental health, but assuming this is legitimate, wouldn't simply flying interstate for a week cause stress?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back