Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart to be trading out of this draft with all the free agency compensation and father/sons + academy players blowing the first round out. Would hate to be picking night one as it stands with all this dilution going on. MackAttack does it again.
Its not smart. Its gains us nothing as All the other teams are aware of this too.

You mean you dont know if the dogs will get this deal done. If they dont they lose him for nothing.
How does this logic differ to Dogs accepting a fourth-round pick for Smith because it's more than "losing him for nothing".

Why are Geelong fans so dense about that above example?

2024 was the last completed season.
So you're trying to make a smartarse point about Smith coming off an ACL.

Makes you wonder why you'd pay him a million a year if you didn't think he was that good.

So you're trying to make a smartarse point about Smith coming off an ACL.

Makes you wonder why you'd pay him a million a year if you didn't think he was that good.
I have no idea what his remuneration will be, whether I think he is any good or not is not the point. But people at the club I support obviously think he is worthwhile having in the team.

My "smartarse" response was questioning how many CBA he had in 2024, you know the last completed season. As it was 0 I wonder do you think that may have some impact on on his trade value?

I have no idea what his remuneration will be, whether I think he is any good or not is not the point. But people at the club I support obviously think he is worthwhile having in the team.

My "smartarse" response was questioning how many CBA he had in 2024, you know the last completed season. As it was 0 I wonder do you think that may have some impact on on his trade value?
Ah yes, me, a Bulldogs fan with 15,000 posts on an AFL forum, completely unaware of the fact that one of our best players missed the 2024 season with an ACL and the impact that doing an ACL may or may not have on future fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does this logic differ to Dogs accepting a fourth-round pick for Smith because it's more than "losing him for nothing".

Dogs lose something big if trade doesnt get done assuming they cant get him to stay. Geelong lose nothing if trade doesnt get done. The onus is on the dogs to make the deal work. And no it wouldnt anywhere near as bad as a fourth rounder.

Geelong lose nothing if trade doesnt get done
This is patently untrue in terms of both your reputation in the AFL, the promises you can make future players, future trades and the nature of your club's relationship with Smith (and Cotton On) heading into the future, with the additional risk that another club might draft him anyway.

Dogs lose something big if trade doesnt get done assuming they cant get him to stay. Geelong lose nothing if trade doesnt get done. The onus is on the dogs to make the deal work. And no it wouldnt anywhere near as bad as a fourth rounder.

You’ve got it backwards

This is patently untrue in terms of both your reputation in the AFL, the promises you can make future players, future trades and the nature of your club's relationship with Smith (and Cotton On) heading into the future, with the additional risk that another club might draft him anyway.
Geelong has so much kudos in the bank as being a good team to trade with and play for that one bad deal wont impact anything reputationally. If anything, because of geelongs great reputation it will be the dogs that get blamed for a deal not getting done even if it wasnt their fault.

Geelong has so much kudos in the bank as being a good team to trade with and play for that one bad deal wont impact anything reputationally. If anything, because of geelongs great reputation it will be the dogs that get blamed for a deal not getting done even if it wasnt their fault.
There's wishful thinking and than there's this.

Other clubs and other player managers aren't blind to the value of Smith as a player, the way that you've tried to recruit him over the years, and the fact that the Dogs are very much entitled to ask for draft picks that are roughly equivalent to what he'd be getting if he was two years older and a free agent as compensation anyway.

Nobody would blame the Dogs and everyone would understand where they were coming from if the rejected pick 20 or whatever and 35, even if the Dogs miss out with improving their draft hand, everyone would be able to see it isn't the Dogs to blame here. Other player managers and other clubs might think it's strange that the Dogs are refusing to improve their draft hand but they wouldn't be blamed for it.

Keep in mind that Geelong are currently proposing to trade a lessor amount for Bailey Smith than they did for Tanner Brunh, a player who is at best of equivalent value and probably worse than the time he was traded, and Smith is getting a far better contract than Bruhn did. Both players are out of contract non-free agents.

Even after that trade the consensus was the fact that you screwed over GWS as you were able to effectively upgrade pick 18 to pick 12, for free.

Quite a....positive appraisal of Geelong's trade reputation relative to that of other clubs.

There's wishful thinking and than there's this.

Other clubs and other player managers aren't blind to the value of Smith as a player, the way that you've tried to recruit him over the years, and the fact that the Dogs are very much entitled to ask for draft picks that are roughly equivalent to what he'd be getting if he was two years older and a free agent as compensation anyway.

Nobody would blame the Dogs and everyone would understand where they were coming from if the rejected pick 20 or whatever and 35, even if the Dogs miss out with improving their draft hand, everyone would be able to see it isn't the Dogs to blame here. Other player managers and other clubs might think it's strange that the Dogs are refusing to improve their draft hand but they wouldn't be blamed for it.

Keep in mind that Geelong are currently proposing to trade a lessor amount for Bailey Smith than they did for Tanner Brunh, a player who is at best of equivalent value and probably worse than the time he was traded, and Smith is getting a far better contract than Bruhn did. Both players are out of contract non-free agents.

Even after that trade the consensus was the fact that you screwed over GWS as you were able to effectively upgrade pick 18 to pick 12, for free.
Yeah, but Smith has done an ACL, been played out position, not kicked a footy for 15 months, and the Cats actually didn’t know he existed before he nominated them yesterday, so why would they give up anything of note?

You mean you dont know if the dogs will get this deal done. If they dont they lose him for nothing.
You completely ruling out another club swooping in? I'm not so sure.

No club is ever going to offer just a r4 for Smith so it's not relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back