Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft him then wait for the AFL to hand out a top 5 pick with FA compo when he hits free agency.

Who cares if he plays in 2025?

What did North get for Ben McKay - pick 3 wasn’t it?

Mackie is talking like the deal is a fait accompli. If you really want him, cough up his true worth you absolute tight arse.

Where in that interview gives off 'fait accompli' vibes, or does it suggest not paying a fair price?????

I find it almost unbelievable that so many people are missing the fact that Smith would nominate for the ND (not the PSD) where Geelong would use their first round pick to select him. There is almost zero risk to Smith or Geelong as no other team is going to use a first round pick on him. It'd be a huge win for Geelong as it means they get Smith for a single first round pick AND they weaken the Bulldogs draft hand as they now don't get to use the pick.

I find it almost unbelievable that so many people are missing the fact that Smith would nominate for the ND (not the PSD) where Geelong would use their first round pick to select him. There is almost zero risk to Smith or Geelong as no other team is going to use a first round pick on him. It'd be a huge win for Geelong as it means they get Smith for a single first round pick AND they weaken the Bulldogs draft hand as they now don't get to use the pick.
So, why don't Geelong just walk away from negotiations then? Either way you're using your first on Smith.

I think you're missing the added context of a panicked echo chamber full of baseless innuendo there.
The key element to this board is people pop in with the chips on their shoulders. Bitter and salty about past moves.

A lions fan was here earlier taking a pop at the Dogs (Dunkley chips). Before we had an Eagles fan (Kelly chips) and Sewer is displaying Esava chips.

So, why don't Geelong just walk away from negotiations then? Either way you're using your first on Smith.
Probably because they don't want to completely **** over another side

The key element to this board is people pop in with the chips on their shoulders. Bitter and salty about past moves.

A lions fan was here earlier taking a pop at the Dogs (Dunkley chips). Before we had an Eagles fan (Kelly chips) and Sewer is displaying Esava chips.
I'd have Esava chips too if I was a Port fan.. not because of the trade but because now I'd have to watch Esava play for my club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will absolutely not be taking a Victorian who actively doesn't want to be there. I don't think you get how poisonous that is to a playing group that already has people that would probably rather be playing in Vic. Of all the teams that would even consider it GWS is not one of them.
I think in all likelihood, he is going to Geelong via trade. But this suggestion that no one would dare pick him up in the ND is a bit of false bravado, or as pointed out, why wouldn’t Geelong just skip negotiations and send him to the draft? The first coach and admin staff to guide GWS to a premiership will be celebrated. If making someone who doesn’t want to play there play there for a year gets it done, it’s a gamble worth taking. Unless you think Smith is so unprofessional he’ll deliberately underperform and further tank his value. He’d suit up, play the best he can, see put his contract and move on.

Last edited:
Part of the job is remaining amicable, and I'd assume there's unwritten rules of things that you just don't do.

Part of their job is negotiating in good faith, and while some do this better than others, pushing the massive red button of taking him to the draft straight away sours that premise.

All it takes is one crazy list manager to set a precedent, and the whole thing falls down.

There's no conspiracy in it, it's just like our everyday lives really.

There's things that you can do in theory...but you don't, because it's probably a dumb idea and there are likely consequences that come with it.

In simple terms, it's a dick move.

I think in all likelihood, he is going to Geelong via trade. But this suggestion that no one would dare pick him up in the ND is a bit of false bravado, or as pointed out, why wouldn’t Geelong just skip negotiations and send him to the draft? The first coach and admin staff to guide GWS to a premiership will be celebrated. If making someone who doesn’t want to play there play there for a year gets it done, it’s a gamble worth taking. Unless you think Smith is do unprofessional he’ll deliberately underperform and further tank his value. He’d suit up, play the best he can, see put his contract and move on.
There are a few teams that would take a punt on him if it means it means gets them closer to a premiership.

Saints who failed to make finals after 2023 even though many of their losses were close ones.

Pies who are into Smith if they can get ahead of the cats would rather take him.

GWS who have lost a lot of experience will need to find a way to bring some experience to keep in finals chances and smith makes sense even for the year.

Sydney who would chase him if he was available in the ND because he's a proven finals player and they'd be desperate after this season.

There are a few teams that would take a punt on him if it means it means gets them closer to a premiership.

Saints who failed to make finals after 2023 even though many of their losses were close ones.

Pies who are into Smith if they can get ahead of the cats would rather take him.

GWS who have lost a lot of experience will need to find a way to bring some experience to keep in finals chances and smith makes sense even for the year.

Sydney who would chase him if he was available in the ND because he's a proven finals player and they'd be desperate after this season.
WCE and Richmond would have a throw at the stumps as well with multiple picks before Geelong's first pick

I think in all likelihood, he is going to Geelong via trade. But this suggestion that no one would dare pick him up in the ND is a bit of false bravado, or as pointed out, why wouldn’t Geelong just skip negotiations and send him to the draft? The first coach and admin staff to guide GWS to a premiership will be celebrated. If making someone who doesn’t want to play there play there for a year gets it done, it’s a gamble worth taking. Unless you think Smith is so unprofessional he’ll deliberately underperform and further tank his value. He’d suit up, play the best he can, see put his contract and move on.
I think it would be highly unlikely but not comlletely impossible that the saints, Essendon, or Pies if they land 13 would at least consider it. GWS is as likely to pick him as a full scale alien invasion starting tomorrow

No self respecting List manager is using a highly valued first in a deep draft on a guy that doesn’t want to be there.

Geeeeeez can we sticky this to the top of the thread as well?

List managers are not putting their careers on the line to draft a guy who doesn’t want to play for them. It is the emptiest of empty threats. We saw this with Luke Ball. No one went near touching him, he put a bunch of things in place to make sure no one would.

Smith is clearly already mentally checked out of the Doggies and checked in with the Cats, he’s not suddenly going to be all in on Richmond or Norf FFS lol

He will say, “do not draft me, I will not play for you.”

But Mackie already suggested today that they are near getting this done. Reckon it’s a bunch of beat up by the media.
Sheesh, this is a thread with thousands of posts covering a wide range of opinions, from both extremes to the middle (as it should be).

Only a complete narcissist would ask "...can we sticky this (my opinion) to the top of the thread..."

Reckon Baz is gonna fit in a treat with you blokes.

lol every year hutchy needs a storyline to boost trade radio traffic . He’s not going to the draft. The deal will get/ is done already. They just need to drag it out for clicks

Anyone who watched the interviews with Mackie and Sam Power would agree with this. There's no animosity between the two clubs, in fact both of them sounded like negotiations have been amicable.

Highly likely the basis of a deal has been agreed to already - from day one I've said our first and F2 maybe with some later pick swaps - but no doubt it will drag on until the final hour of trade period so Fox Footy, Trade Radio, SEN and co have something to carry on about.

It's clear that our first round for Smith will be the basis of the trade, it's what the pick swap ends up being that's to be determined. Could be our first for a second, could be two seconds for two thirds, could be one second for a third or a fourth. I hope it's the latter but won't be too upset if it's the first. Cats fans thinking we'll get Smith for a nothing pick are going to be disappointed, Dogs fans expecting two firsts and De Koning are also going to be disappointed. The idea of Smith being sent to the draft is stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back