Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Would the Bulldogs consider a Smith for Clarke swap in the unlikely event Jyhe Clarke thinks a move away from Geelong would help him.
Would Geelong take that today if Smith was their player?

Looking for a level headed answer here...
Bulldogs could ask for a player as well. Would anybody at Geelong think they will have more opportunity at Bulldogs, apparently if Beveridge signs you there is an advantage at the selection table.

I get that and i would have no problem if the bulldogs did it but past history says this happens very rarely so its not likely now.
Yes, because mainly teams want to avoid not ultimately executing the trade for the player that they convinced to come across, because it sets the relationship off on a bad start, even assuming that they get through to that club in the first place (and not drafted by a different club through the draft mechanisms).

This element is exaggerated when a player is requesting a trade to a team that is higher on the ladder. Dogs can say to Geelong with a straight face that they would redraft Smith ahead of Geelong in the PSD and use that as leverage, too, and dismiss concerns that Smith wants to leave for the purposes of the negotiation.

Bulldogs could ask for a player as well. Would anybody at Geelong think they will have more opportunity at Bulldogs, apparently if Beveridge signs you there is an advantage at the selection table.
Anyone like that is probably not worth a huge amount in a trade anyway so wouldn't shift the needle very much either way. It would be blokes like Parfitt or Bews, or VFL players like Hardie.

Yes, because mainly teams want to avoid not ultimately executing the trade for the player that they convinced to come across, because it sets the relationship off on a bad start, even assuming that they get through to that club in the first place (and not drafted by a different club through the draft mechanisms).

This element is exaggerated when a player is requesting a trade to a team that is higher on the ladder. Dogs can say to Geelong with a straight face that they would redraft Smith ahead of Geelong in the PSD and use that as leverage, too, and dismiss concerns that Smith wants to leave for the purposes of the negotiation.

You've been told hundreds of times he obviously would go to the national draft not the preseason draft. Nobody's stupid enough to waste a top 15 draft pick on a guy who doesn't want to be there.

It won't get to that and a trade will be done. But the Dogs have no way of stopping him getting to Geelong if it comes to that. Which is exactly why every out of contract player ends up moving for less than they're worth. It will happen again here too.

Anyone like that is probably not worth a huge amount in a trade anyway so wouldn't shift the needle very much either way. It would be blokes like Parfitt or Bews, or VFL players like Hardie.
Clohesy? Probably the only OOC 'gettable' player I'm interested in.

Duncan and Blicavs are ageing (the former might even retire), C Guthrie has missed almost two seasons with injury (another possibility to retire), Danger will probably be pushed forward more in his twilight years, and Atkins is a battler.

I imagine Clohesy and any other young midfielder will be sticking around in 2025, in expectation that spots will open up.

If he was uncontracted and already had both feet out the door, we wouldn't have a lot of choice.

I doubt we'd LIKE it......but we may well have to take it.

Just speaking personally as a supporter, I'd certainly prefer getting the "80c in the dollar" if it had to be that, than to get absolutely nothing.
Ah, the standard "you'll take our trash and like it or get nothing. It's better than nothing".

Without having any regard to future trades the dogs are in where opposition clubs will think they can just walk all over them. A line has to be drawn.

Geelong aren't offering "Pick 40" or "Pick 30" or even "Pick 20" so it's a moot point.

The majority of Cats fans are proposing Pick 15 + a future second. It would unquestionably be unders for a fully fit and firing Smith under contract. It might even be unders for an uncontracted out-the-door Smith coming off an ACL. But to argue it's some sort of insulting 'nothing' pick is a bit silly.
Under the circumstances i think that is a good enough deal to get this done , Cats wont make a prelim next year but may make the 8 so lets call it #32. #15 + #32 is about right for Smith coming off a knee and some other issue's in the past.

Just take it and move on

Ah, the standard "you'll take our trash and like it or get nothing. It's better than nothing".

Without having any regard to future trades the dogs are in where opposition clubs will think they can just walk all over them. A line has to be drawn.
If we were saying 'Pick 60 or GTFO" sure.

But that's not what we're saying.

You've been told hundreds of times he obviously would go to the national draft not the preseason draft. Nobody's stupid enough to waste a top 15 draft pick on a guy who doesn't want to be there.
All we have to do is convince Geelong of the fact that we may, for the purposes of getting them to pay more in a trade.

I also don't see the logic as to why a team wouldn't pick him up with a top 15 draft pick. His expected output as a player is more than an average pick 15 in the draft, even accepting that six years of his career are already taken away from that fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's one that would suit and I'd definitely ask if I was the Dogs. Mannagh would likely say no as he's getting games now and is pretty firmly entrenched in the team but I would still ask if I were you.

There's actually not many other players that I think the dogs would be that interested in tbh.

Not even kidding, it would actually hurt to lose him.

He's going to be quality, and most Cats fans would have much more confidence in him than Knevitt for instance.

If it's what it takes to get the deal done then that's life, but he's not a Dean Gore/Cooper Stephens if you get what I mean.

Geelong will paint the Dogs into a corner like they did the Pies with Henry. Their first move will be to trade a future second in an unrelated deal so their future first is not available to trade.
I think in the Henry case it was a future second to Brisbane for picks.
Incidentally didn’t Brisbane also do similar in the Dunkley trade?

Geelong will paint the Dogs into a corner like they did the Pies with Henry. Their first move will be to trade a future second in an unrelated deal so their future first is not available to trade.
Then they can get bent and potentially not get Smith. I know it is BigFooty tough talk but the dogs board did sign off on sending Dunkley to the PSD when Brisbane traded an asset they were told not to. They ended up giving up more so that will happen again.

Geelong aren't getting away with pick 20 at draft time

I think the line is a good second and pick 15

To be fair our future 2nd may be a 'good 2nd' if we miss the 8 next year.
But it is possible we try and trade say 35 into an earlier 2nd and package it with 15.
For eg with henry we traded 38 up to 25 so similar is possible here.

From menory we traded 38 55 a future 2nd and future 4th for 25 to bris (bris got a good deal there and i think they used one of our picks in the dunkley deal).
I think to be fair we would offer 15 and a future 2nd to the dogs (thats good faith) before we do what you are suggesting.
We would only then trade the future 2nd away and lock the future 1st if things were clearly at an impasse etc.

Thats all fine and im not knocking your point but if it came to it smith would go in the ND not the psd where the dogs dont have a first rounder anyway. The only threat would be if a vic club was willing to use a pick before #15 on a player that doesnt want to be there (it helps that hawthorn wont have a r1 before 15). But i doubt it gets to that stage a deal will get done.

As an academy kid id be sad to lose him but he would be gettable (wouldnt discount someone like knevitt either). Im sure the dogs would ask for mannagh as they have been keen previously but im hopeful he would want to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back