Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks only have 1 more top 25 pick from those drafts and that's counting Cooper Stephens. It sure looks like the commitment to the draft hasn't been that different from the two clubs.
It is a little selective using the top 25. Generally that will be consistent across most clubs as it encompasses the 1st round. The difference being the pointy end of the 1st round where it's 1 top 10 pick v 4 top 10 picks.

But ultimately you play the cards you're dealt. The Cats have been very strong on field, so haven't had access to the top ten. Yet they have still found a way to bring in Clark via Bowes and have found some good players at the back end of the top 25 in Holmes and Conway and added Henry via trade. I don't think the Cats will bottom out, but it will be interesting to see what the next couple of years looks like for them.

As for Hawthorn, we didn't rip the band off early enough. We held onto Clarko for too long and the game style was horrible the last two years of his tenure. And we should have moved into rebuild a few years earlier. But I think we're on the right path now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Smith's workrate is outstanding and that's what the game is becoming - a player who can cover a lot of ground, at pace. And repeat. That's Smith's forte.

I'd prefer to keep him but I think he's 99% out of the door already. Cats frontrunners based on what I've heard.

think this is the last post to do with this thread before all the dumbasses took over. you have to wonder how much of the knee affected his pace and turn of direction.

starting to think he isnt really that high of a priotiy at the dogs with darcy and bont renewals coming.

It is a little selective using the top 25. Generally that will be consistent across most clubs as it encompasses the 1st round. The difference being the pointy end of the 1st round where it's 1 top 10 pick v 4 top 10 picks.

But ultimately you play the cards you're dealt. The Cats have been very strong on field, so haven't had access to the top ten. Yet they have still found a way to bring in Clark via Bowes and have found some good players at the back end of the top 25 in Holmes and Conway and added Henry via trade. I don't think the Cats will bottom out, but it will be interesting to see what the next couple of years looks like for them.

As for Hawthorn, we didn't rip the band off early enough. We held onto Clarko for too long and the game style was horrible the last two years of his tenure. And we should have moved into rebuild a few years earlier. But I think we're on the right path now.

Finally, someone who isn’t just going, “HURRR DURR GEELONG OLD”

We were picking up draftees and guys who were 1st rounders while also competing.
We have not traded out our future and we never overpay for anyone. (Own all our picks and have a clear pay structure)

It’s a totally different situation to say a Richmond who gave up multiple picks (when they were trending downwards) and giving 6+ year contracts to guys who aren’t that level, and I love me some Taranto. We just don’t do that for any single player.

Anyway, Smithy would be getting a clear role and is in the age bracket we actually need (24-28 years old)
We don’t need heaps more 19 year olds, have plenty of them.

think this is the last post to do with this thread before all the dumbasses took over. you have to wonder how much of the knee affected his pace and turn of direction.

starting to think he isnt really that high of a priotiy at the dogs with darcy and bont renewals coming.
Not that I stalk his insta or anything but....

... ok I do, but anyway, he's been training the whole time he's been in Greece. Obviously there's a selection bias to him showing "good" training videos but he was doing change in direction drills which would have tested the knee a bit but he was fine.

He's definitely fit and the knee is showing good signs.

thats what i am curious about as midfield is hawthorn biggest strength and wouldn't have thought smith be that high on the list as someone like a josh battle. whereas you'd think both pies and cats have greater need in that area going forward.

obviously not ruling out both smith and battle end up at hawthron

thats what i am curious about as midfield is hawthorn biggest strength and wouldn't have thought smith be that high on the list as someone like a josh battle. whereas you'd think both pies and cats have greater need in that area going forward.

obviously not ruling out both smith and battle end up at hawthron

No idea where either player ends up.

Smith is a talent with X factor any club would want him in there midfield.

Hawks would be back in their system and Smiths known desire for self improvement to fix his DE.

Finally, someone who isn’t just going, “HURRR DURR GEELONG OLD”

We were picking up draftees and guys who were 1st rounders while also competing.
We have not traded out our future and we never overpay for anyone. (Own all our picks and have a clear pay structure)

It’s a totally different situation to say a Richmond who gave up multiple picks (when they were trending downwards) and giving 6+ year contracts to guys who aren’t that level, and I love me some Taranto. We just don’t do that for any single player.

Anyway, Smithy would be getting a clear role and is in the age bracket we actually need (24-28 years old)
We don’t need heaps more 19 year olds, have plenty of them.

Yep, there's definitely a void in the 24-28yo bracket for Geelong and Smith will help fill that void. The interesting question will be what Smith is looking at when deciding a home. He'll probably have more responsibility in a Geelong midfield which may be the attraction. Whereas (with my Hawthorn goggles on) he may have more team success with Hawthorn

Richmond followed on and made the same mistake as Hawthorn by over investing in topping up meaning access to quality draftees wasn't there. Not to mention the rotten luck with Gibcus.

With regards to Smith not being a key need for the Hawks, I think speed out of the contest is something we're missing as well as a goal kicking mid. So that's the allure of Smith if he gets back to his best.

Our forward line stocks look a lot healthier with Dear surprising us all and Chol doing what he needs to in contesting and applying pressure (which was completely unexpected). It's probably just the key position defender that we're missing. But they don't grow on trees unfortunately. I think we'd all love a Mac Andrew type who fits a need and age profile. But that's a pipe dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back