Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Father Sons and Academy blokes aren’t accessible to the rest of the Draft. You may as well just wipe them off the Draft board.

Teams will match anything for those guys, especially now the JUH Rule has been scrapped.

Pick 15 is still the 15th best available player whether it’s at 15 or 21.

You’re not drafting Ashcroft, Kako, Lombard, Welsh, Campo brothers etc.
No point adding them into the Draft pool.
No its not. If someone BIDS on an academy player at pick 8, that means THAT team viewed said player as being the 8th best player in the draft. They don't become invisible and irrelevant. Pick 15 becoming 20th, means you're drafting what teams view as the 20th best player in the draft, no matter how much you try and spin it. Its only the 15th LIVE pick. Not the 15th best player in the draft.

Im not sure why people keep banging on about 20 and academy players pushing 15 back. Those guys are not in the open pool anyway so you still get access to the same player.

As for clohesy doesnt surprise me as hes ooc and a fringe player who could be movable for more gametime. I will be sad to lose him if it happens but thats life its fine.
Thats an absolute fallacy in thinking though. It's like you are to start the draft at 3/4 strength while others get to pick from full strength.
I'm not sure I buy the "they wouldn't exist" reasoning either. The clubs & AFL have always had a finger in the Sydney/Brisbane pie.

Who reported it?
Cats didn’t play him because he’s not 100% coming off knee surgery…nothing to do with form.
He’s easily best 22.

I swear to god if someone quotes Jon Ralph as a source I’m stabbing my eyes out with a fork.
Dude is right about .5% of the time.
Throws personal opinion into all of his statements. He’s one of the worst along with McClure.

And this is how sensationalist media run with bullshit and get people to eat it up.
You're, umm, pretty level headed when talking about Geelong trading in top players from other clubs.

...but the minute a solid Cats player is said to be gettable you lose it completely! 😄

Perhaps level headedness is the ability to remain, err, rational when it goes both ways.

Put the fork away, son.

How many fringe mids do we need?

sure, we’ll take him for the VFL squad, but we’ll still be expecting at least a first and second you’d think.
He can run through the middle but his impact is as a forward. You know your list better than me but I think you'd want small forwards? He's showing good signs but behind 4x good small forwards for us at the moment.

I'd be very happy if dogs weren't interested

He can run through the middle but his impact is as a forward. You know your list better than me but I think you'd want small forwards? He's showing good signs but behind 4x good small forwards for us at the moment.

I'd be very happy if dogs weren't interested

I’m scarred from picking up clubs sloppy seconds. Although Bramble was an amazing get, most others have been duds.

Father Sons and Academy blokes aren’t accessible to the rest of the Draft. You may as well just wipe them off the Draft board.
They are, they’re just harder to access.

There’s nothing stopping Richmond from trying to take Ashcroft at 1 and forcing GC to either spend more picks than they’d like to matching it, or let him go.

Yes, it’s unlikely to happen, but to say they’re not accessible is just flat out incorrect.

I’m scarred from picking up clubs sloppy seconds. Although Bramble was an amazing get, most others have been duds.
I hear you, but I'm reasonably confident in Clohesy. Just stuck behind Miers, Close, Stengle, and now Mannagh. Happy to keep him because I think we may see him get a run in the middle with us.

I expect if Clohesy is part of the deal, he'll be steak knives on top of whatever deal is accepted. Has no value because he's a rookie with only 3 games. Dogs are going hard at SDK so maybe forcing cats to pay more is the ploy in targeting him just to get them to back off.

They are, they’re just harder to access.

There’s nothing stopping Richmond from trying to take Ashcroft at 1 and forcing GC to either spend more picks than they’d like to matching it, or let him go.

Yes, it’s unlikely to happen, but to say they’re not accessible is just flat out incorrect.

A side has first refusal with an absolute upper limit of the points value of number 1 minus any discounts the league has made available. I'd say that sound pretty bloody inaccessible. Look at JUH, imagine a clubs says, "Listen, we will offer our first and second for two years", it exceeds the value of pick 1, but they can't pick him. How can you say that a player like that is accessible?

I expect if Clohesy is part of the deal, he'll be steak knives on top of whatever deal is accepted. Has no value because he's a rookie with only 3 games. Dogs are going hard at SDK so maybe forcing cats to pay more is the ploy in targeting him just to get them to back off.

I agree with that. Clohesy really only has the value of a late late pick at best but might be a throw in with the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure why people keep banging on about 20 and academy players pushing 15 back. Those guys are not in the open pool anyway so you still get access to the same player.

As for clohesy doesnt surprise me as hes ooc and a fringe player who could be movable for more gametime. I will be sad to lose him if it happens but thats life its fine.
But you're still only getting the 20th best player. You have to assume that that 20th best player despite being the 15th best available player will be as good as any other 20th best available player in a year that there's zero academy and father son-prospects.

Its like how in 2012 because Jaeger O'Meara was taken out of the draft pool, while the likes of O'Rouke, Plowman and Toumpas were "bad" picks 2, 3 and 4, in some ways it's less so because O'Meara would have been the true pick 1 in the draft that year, pushing Whitfield and those three back a pick in a live draft.

Where did you hear we are going hard for SDK?

Majorison on our board

Trying to manifest the tallest team in AFL history?

Saw firsthand how woeful it was against a relatively nimble team in the finals.
Just imagine a best 22 comprised of De Koning (204cm), Ugle-Hagan (197cm), Naughton (196cm), Darcy (208cm), Croft (201cm), Jones (199cm), English (208cm), and that's not including O'Donnell or Lobb who both saw regular footy this season.

Trying to manifest the tallest team in AFL history?

Saw firsthand how woeful it was against a relatively nimble team in the finals.
Just imagine a best 22 comprised of De Koning (204cm), Ugle-Hagan (197cm), Naughton (196cm), Darcy (208cm), Croft (201cm), Jones (199cm), English (208cm), and that's not including O'Donnell or Lobb who both saw regular footy this season.
Yeah, because they'd all play at once 🤪

Jones is pretty much done. Croft won't be playing for some time

Never go full nuff

So Bevo will have to explain to Sam that he'll spend some time in the reserves because there are already too many talls to pick from?
DeKoning would have replaced Jones in his natural position. Not the ruck where Chris Scott is determined to play him out of position.

The dogs talls aren't lumbering anyway.

Plenty of smalls in the team and seems like they're a good chance of taking Clohesy off Geelong too

DeKoning would have replaced Jones in his natural position. Not the ruck where Chris Scott is determined to play him out of position.

The dogs talls aren't lumbering anyway.

Plenty of smalls in the team and seems like they're a good chance of taking Clohesy off Geelong too

Scott played De Koning in the ruck because we lost Conway, Edwards and Stanley to injury throughout various stages of the season.

It just so happens he actually looked the part as a ruckman. He has always pinched hit in the reserves but rarely played out long minutes in ruck so it was surprising to see him improve in the position as the weeks went on. Turns out, Geelong will sign him up on a long term contract (have it on good authority) and we may have just found another player capable of replacing Blicavs.

Meanwhile, your midfield looked fairly one paced this year. Shame, as a player like Bailey Smith would have given you that point of difference needed.

Meanwhile, your midfield looked fairly one paced this year. Shame, as a player like Bailey Smith would have given you that point of difference needed.

Our midfield was extremely one paced in 2022 & 2023 with Bailey playing. Funny enough, this year was the best it looked in years with Richards moving in there. Don’t get me wrong Smith is a good player, but Richards is faster, stronger, and the best kick i50 comp wide, compared to Smith’s 2% kicking efficiency i50 (real stat).

I’m not keen on SDK because of our talls, but I don’t think Smith would’ve given the improvements we need next year, which is that high half forward role.

Scott played De Koning in the ruck because we lost Conway, Edwards and Stanley to injury throughout various stages of the season.

It just so happens he actually looked the part as a ruckman. He has always pinched hit in the reserves but rarely played out long minutes in ruck so it was surprising to see him improve in the position as the weeks went on. Turns out, Geelong will sign him up on a long term contract (have it on good authority) and we may have just found another player capable of replacing Blicavs.

Even with Smith your midfield is still shizen hausen. But at least Geelong is looking into Martin 😅

Your "good authority " seems to have let you down then, because DeKoning is happy to entertain leaving. Might not be until next year but there's a fair chance he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back