Ballarat Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All | Afl | Basketball | Other

Melton South dumps coach
Friday, 28 July 2006

MELTON South has dumped coach Julian Shanks with only five games remaining in the Ballarat Football League season.
Club president Devon Sproule confirmed last night that Shanks had been sacked and would not see out his first year at the helm.

Shanks, who earlier this month said he wanted to stay at Melton South for another two or three years, declined to comment last night.

The Panthers have appointed reserves coach Travis Chapman to the senior post for the rest of the season and for next year.

Mr Sproule said a "mutual" decision was made to part company with Shanks because the "marriage' was under strain.

"It's just like a marriage that didn't work," he said.

"A mutual agreement has been made with both parties and both have left with a mutual respect."

Shanks' season with Melton South had been anything but a honeymoon.

The Panthers, who played in the elimination final last year, have managed only two wins.

In a The Courier interview earlier this month Shanks said he had found the going tough as the replacement to Melton South's favourite son Matthew Sproule - the president's son.

"It has been tough, but what I say to people is don't judge me over 10 games, judge me over a couple of years," he said.

The past Melton premiership captain and Williamstown star of the 1990s admitted he had felt like an outsider coming into the club.

But he was confident that the side's on-field improvement in the second half of the season - including a win against Sebastopol and a draw with Melton - was proof he could take it further.

"I want to plant my feet here for two or three years ... because we're working our backsides off to get the club going in the right direction" Shanks said.

Mr Sproule said the team's poor on-field return was not the main reason for yesterday's decision.

"There's probably a number of things. I don't want to go any further into that," he said.

"He didn't get as much out of it just as we didn't get as much out of it.

"We left on good terms and that's the way we want to keep it. He's welcome back any time."

Mr Sproule said the appointment of Chapman was a popular decision.

Kings Army said:
What are the chances of Souths other fav son to return from Darley to coach next year?? Scoble would be a massive chance!

You are a lot better over in this thread QUEENS so maybe you should stay here

Warren said:
You are a lot better over in this thread QUEENS so maybe you should stay here

Hi everyone - I would like to introduce Warren to everyone.

Warren is a 40 year old window licker that supports Kangaroo Flat - his team was one 4 games out of the last 60 and he is spruiking that they will play finals next year - check the last few pages of the Bendigo thread - the other Kangaroo flat supporters also cannot stand this f uckwit.

Warren is into chicks with d icks and watching his mother shower in the mornings. Please make him feel welcome.

Kings Army said:
Hi everyone - I would like to introduce Warren to everyone.

Warren is a 40 year old window licker that supports Kangaroo Flat - his team was one 4 games out of the last 60 and he is spruiking that they will play finals next year - check the last few pages of the Bendigo thread - the other Kangaroo flat supporters also cannot stand this f uckwit.

Warren is into chicks with d icks and watching his mother shower in the mornings. Please make him feel welcome.

And when they read the last couple of pages they will see that this ****** had not creative side as he has continually written the same shi#. You're a very boring person, find something new. Also, DIE!

Kings Army said:
What are the chances of Souths other fav son to return from Darley to coach next year?? Scoble would be a massive chance!

Ballarat Courier article said:
The Panthers have appointed reserves coach Travis Chapman to the senior post for the rest of the season and for next year.

Might not be a massive chance until 2008?

luke2177 said:
Could someone tell me the best way to get to the ground in Ballarat where North City play in the Bendigo Football League if I'm coming from Creswick?

And what's the name of the ground?

The oval is called the Northern Oval (Where the VFL side play) Just keep driving from Creswick into Ballarat and it will take u straight there. Do not turn, go straight through rnd about and 1 set of stop lights. Onthe left is john Valves 350m on right is the oval

Cheers! :thumbsu:

hwdqbhdhd

Warren said:
And when they read the last couple of pages they will see that this ****** had not creative side as he has continually written the same shi#. You're a very boring person, find something new. Also, DIE!

Warren - please slow down when you type. Your 40 years old and you make no sense at all. Maybe try typing with your elbows and not your forehead. "had not creative side " time for your pills wassa!;)

Kings Army said:

lots of talk surrounding Scoble and where he will be in 2007, what do you know Kings Army?

Disappointing to hear Shanks has left Melton South.

His coaching record is unquestioned:

East Keilor relegated 2006 (Coach 2002-03)
Keilor Park second last 2006 (Coach 2005)
Melton South second last 2006.

Obviously nothing to do with him, will be interested to see where he gets a gig next year.:thumbsdown:

simplesimon said:
lots of talk surrounding Scoble and where he will be in 2007, what do you know Kings Army?

I know he is hot property as he has recieved very goog reviews from Darley and his stint in the interleague under 18s has been very impressive. It not a matter of when he will get a role but who can afford him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footyman said:
Can someone tell me how Luke Allen has been playing for Sunbury?

Been playing really well its good to see as well because he is a very talented forward and with matt baird being injured this year he has slotted into full forward nicely, had a massive game against melton kicking 7 goals in terrible weather

Kings Army said:
I know he is hot property as he has recieved very goog reviews from Darley and his stint in the interleague under 18s has been very impressive. It not a matter of when he will get a role but who can afford him!

Leave Scoble alone. Darley needs him!!!

Porter and Waight dominated for Vic Country in the Australian Championships and will be all australian.

A few SANFL clubs are after porter. Waight would have to be picked up by a VFL club or even rookied.

Sunbury vs Redan in the match of the round & the wheels have fallen off at Melton. Two coaches heads in two weeks?

Vineyard said:
Leave Scoble alone. Darley needs him!!!

Porter and Waight dominated for Vic Country in the Australian Championships and will be all australian.

A few SANFL clubs are after porter. Waight would have to be picked up by a VFL club or even rookied.

Sunbury vs Redan in the match of the round & the wheels have fallen off at Melton. Two coaches heads in two weeks?

Darley would want to make a move soon. The indians are circling - could 1 power steal another powers assitance coach? May make things interesting at the Christmas dinner table!

Flag odds:

Redan - $2.75
East Point - $4.50
Sunbury - $6
Darley - $8
Melton - $8 (only beacuse they will finish 3rd)
Ballarat - $25

It would appear that Darley have some thinking to do? Is Power staying on?
Sounds like Porter & Waight did themselves, their clubs and the league proud.
Any word on Blomely & Jordan? how did they go?
Sunbury @ $6 interesting KA, can Serge crank them up enough to get the job done in 2006?
Any word on Ron Thomas' future? Rumour is the Melton boys dont want him anymore?

simplesimon said:
Sunbury @ $6 interesting KA, can Serge crank them up enough to get the job done in 2006?
Any word on Ron Thomas' future? Rumour is the Melton boys dont want him anymore?

Sunbury will nearly be equal 2nd favourties with a good win this week. The sleeping giants are waking up.

Big worry on East Point is that if Jordan is shut down where do the goals come from?

My tip is another Redan V Sunbury Grand Final. Would that be 4 in 5 years?

well done to Ryan Waight. made all australian and from all reports killedit. Porter also a stand out for Vic country.

notice matt walsh ex redan full fwd kicked 7 and got BOG for queensland in the play of for 3rd and 4th in div 2. the dry conditions of QLD would suit him better than the wet ones in ballarat where he still stared for Redan.

word is however matt walsh to wondoga raiders in the O&M next yr.

simplesimon said:

Both Powers will be finished up next season, though i think Serge deserves another year.
Keenan Reynolds will coach Darley as Matt just cant get them to the next level. Always elimated 1st week of the finals. Rumor has it Shane Robertson will coach Sunbury next season. Not much of a coach in my opinion, just coaches sides with a lot of $$$$ that makes him look like a good coach. This info was given to me by players from Castlemaine and Hepburn where he has coached.
East/Point/Redan G/F with Redan to win. Jordan is there one and only forward and their backs are not attacking enough. East Point have forked out massive $$$ to try and win a flag, and i think they will fail, as sides have worked out how to beat Jordan.
Ron Thomas will be gone within 2 weeks. He has resigned twice and the club is just waiting for the 3rd one. Simon Payne will coach for the remainder of the year and give them back the spark, which might see them challenge Redan/East for a G/F position.

learmonth said:
Both Powers will be finished up next season, though i think Serge deserves another year.
Keenan Reynolds will coach Darley as Matt just cant get them to the next level. Always elimated 1st week of the finals. Rumor has it Shane Robertson will coach Sunbury next season. Not much of a coach in my opinion, just coaches sides with a lot of $$$$ that makes him look like a good coach. This info was given to me by players from Castlemaine and Hepburn where he has coached.
East/Point/Redan G/F with Redan to win. Jordan is there one and only forward and their backs are not attacking enough. East Point have forked out massive $$$ to try and win a flag, and i think they will fail, as sides have worked out how to beat Jordan.
Ron Thomas will be gone within 2 weeks. He has resigned twice and the club is just waiting for the 3rd one. Simon Payne will coach for the remainder of the year and give them back the spark, which might see them challenge Redan/East for a G/F position.
I've been told by a few Hepburn blokes that Robertson is a very good coach, and don't forget that Hepburn have had sides capable of winning flags before Robertson arrived, but haven't always been able to do it. I think he picks his jobs pretty carefully so he would probably like what Sunbury had to offer if you are right. Seems to have the knack of being able to attract high quality players to follow him which would be a big factor for clubs when appointing a coach. Money alone won't always get gun players, have been hearing for years that Sebas have plenty of money but still struggle to attract the right players.
Time will tell on East Point, reckon they can find enough goals without Jordan dominating but agree their back line might be suspect.

learmonth said:

Serge will get another 2 years at Sunbury.

Kings Army said:
Serge will get another 2 years at Sunbury.

I will have to agree with u kings army he will get another just because he is a great coache and if sunbury take it out this year like they could he might even stay on longer depend if the fire still burning for him. he will leave on his term he wont get pushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back