Roast Ballas and Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
These two must get dropped. We cannot go deep into the finals with these two so woefully out of form. I said during preseason, average at least 2 goals a game or get the **** out of our forward line. Drop them down to WAFL and give them a challenge.

First one of them to kick 4 goals+ in three consecutive games get back into the squad.

I'm so pissed off because everyone of us has said this for the past 5 weeks.

Ballas is 28. Should be hitting his potential. But instead it's the same old story. Croizer's turn to shine, and Ballas to the magoos. Mayne is lost, does the job as defensive forward but hardly damages opposition the other way.

Mayne has several issues. One that goes a bit unnoticed is his poor field kicking. Very often they are high, loopy kicks. Even short passes to a small forward. Just don't see how his output is making a better team.
Ballas is lost. Its like watching U/12's a bit with him. He is so enthusiastic but just seems to be 5m behind the ball and chasing. He's a small forward that should be creating.
I would love to see one change in this area.

wouldnt count on these guys getting dropped they are untouchable and it really pisses me off that ross has his favorites

It looks like a lot of the squad has lost their way, maybe the close attention Fyfe keeps getting has slowed the whole teams out put. There's something not quite right,wonder got anything to do with Sylvia , who knows but hope it's fixed quickly.

I say this very reluctantly - Balla should be sent back to the WAFL to get his confidence back. Not permanently - just a week or two - so he can kick a handful of goals and get the taste of blood back in his mouth.

As RTB said at the post match presser: We have dropped off significantly from first 6 rounds where we were a top 4 team for offence...

We can talk about our injured backmen but our defence is still top 4.

It is the front half that needs changing up. Something is not quite clicking.

It might he Pav losing abit of pace, it might be Mayne failing to have an impact, or it might be Balla's lack of poise on the ball. Either way, I don't consider dropping Pav an option at this stage which means RTB needs to have a good look at Balla and Mayne.

A game against Carlton is a good match to try new personnel up forward.

As RTB said at the post match presser: We have dropped off significantly from first 6 rounds where we were a top 4 team for offence...

Our forward line in the last month has been a shambles. Hardly any one on ones, it's mainly a long bomb in to Pavs direction only to have the smaller forwards/resting ruckman crashing the pack. From there our small forwards aren't doing enough to get the crumb and kick the goals. Walters is an exception as he's been playing ok.

It's frustrating to watch and I can imagine it would be frustrating for the tall targets too.

Quality of the inside 50 is shit too. Our midfield don't really run in clusters like others teams do. They get a metre or two space and hack a ball forward as long as they can. Very little system moving forward. Only Stephen Hill looks up when moving the ball inside 50. Doesn't help when the forwards rarely win one on ones.

Ballaz numbers are identical to last yr except for goals. He seems to get on the end of a few extra ones last year but you wouldn't drop him.

Mayne, you might drop but you'd have to have some form of plan as to why, eg go tall and bring in Griff or go small and bring in Crozier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayne is Fremantles Shane Watson, constantly picked on his so called "potential", but never delivers.

At least Watson has flexibility on his side. Mayne can only play in one position, and plays it badly.

I think Ross Lyon has broken Ballantyne's spirit.

Ballantyne came into the club as a brilliant goalkicking forward. Lyon has spent 3 years beating that out of him. Now all he knows how to do is chase and tackle.

Ballantyne came into the club as a brilliant goalkicking forward. Lyon has spent 3 years beating that out of him. Now all he knows how to do is chase and tackle.
Ballantyne had his best ever season last year.

At this stage you'd be asking Suma to pack his bags and just getting Pav to run the show. Waters, Pav, Ballas, and Mayne. Surely you can squeeze something outta that?

Mayne and Ballas have always being WAFL level players. Only the latter deserves a spot when he kick goals.

Ross has caused them to become lazy, as he refuses to drop them.

Watch a decent player like Crozier leave as he wonders why he cant get games instead of these two.

The fact that this has stopped me for. Just lurking and made me actually post should tell you how strongly I feel about it. Mayne I have time for the name gives it away but Ballentyne should be GONE should have been gone 2 weeks ago he has brought nothing to the table but slipping over. I'm willing to see what grey/crozier/Duffy/anyone has over more of the most out of form/Injured forward we have had since we traded for Chris tarrant he is playing worse than Colin Sylvia was. He had credits. They are spent. gone. Go to peel remember when you were good enough to get a sandover there....I like mzungu in the team

Ballantyne was never a 'brilliant goalkicking forward'. He is a battling, passionate little bugger that just cannot string together consistency. Was at the first ever AFL game he played (v Collingwood at MCG) and man he was and still is a frustrating player to watch.

Tabs for Mayne, Crozier for Hayden sounds good to me.
This.
I keep backing Ballantyne to get back into his pesky goal-kicking self but has shown nothing this season. I can't remember the last time he's picked the ball up off the deck around half forward, zip around, swing onto his right boot and kick a goal to fire up the team as he's always done before. He needs to find form but he's had enough chances at AFL level and deserves to be dropped for a player such as Crozier who actually deserves game time.

Well, I criticised Mayne earlier this year and then he popped up and kicked 4 goals in that game that Pav was subbed out with concussion. I also got shot down by others saying he is a tackling machine and provides much needed forward pressure. Sure, that's all well and good but ultimately you have to kick goals as a forward and he and Ballas are not doing that this season [with the exception of couple of games].
Bring in Duffy. Yes I know his form in the WAFL is up and down and he can stink it up, but he's a natural footballer with a good instinct for goal. I'd rather him being given next 6-7 weeks to show what he can do. Playing in the firsts might be very motivational for him.
Croz should be the other one given extended time in the forward line.

Quality of the inside 50 is shit too. Our midfield don't really run in clusters like others teams do. They get a metre or two space and hack a ball forward as long as they can. Very little system moving forward. Only Stephen Hill looks up when moving the ball inside 50. Doesn't help when the forwards rarely win one on ones.

I think the midfield is half the problem. We don't seem to be able to win clean ball through the middle, we got no quick and skillful transition play either with a chain of uncontested possessions. Everything we do is frantic and scrappy and hacked under pressure. It's more than just the inside 50s, they are included in it but I think it's a wider problem.

Also as a result we're not getting many goals from our mids pushing up. Early in the season they were kicking a third/half of our goals.

Well, I criticised Mayne earlier this year and then he popped up and kicked 4 goals in that game that Pav was subbed out with concussion. I also got shot down by others saying he is a tackling machine and provides much needed forward pressure. Sure, that's all well and good but ultimately you have to kick goals as a forward and he and Ballas are not doing that this season [with the exception of couple of games].
Bring in Duffy. Yes I know his form in the WAFL is up and down and he can stink it up, but he's a natural footballer with a good instinct for goal. I'd rather him being given next 6-7 weeks to show what he can do. Playing in the firsts might be very motivational for him.
Croz should be the other one given extended time in the forward line.

Duffy is injured I think.

Besides, if he was included (which I wouldn't mind if he's truly earned it), I suspect he'd not be that much more effective.

Our problem is not just fwds, the way we are going in is not slick and anywhere near clean enough. Our scoring capacity as team is a mess. Our mids aren't getting dangerous enough, we don't bring it in to maximum advantage and we aren't using the space that we occasionally create in the fwd half well.

If we had a very special player like Buddy who can win a game off his own boot to throw up there, then yeah, that might help a lot, but I don't think shuffling an out of form Balla and Mayne out of the team will solve much (though finding a place for Croz is something I would like to see I must admit).

Also, FWIW, Clarke as a fwd is in poorer form than Mayne and Balla combined, and that's saying something.

EDIT: Didn't realise Admiral Byng's post above, but yeah, what he said.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back