Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Miles

Managed to pick up a copy of the book in Dymock's Sydney which was a pleasant surprise as the website advised no copies were available. I'm enjoying the read.

One picture from the 1968 GF I like very much and didn't notice in the book is below - old campaigners battling it out indeed. It is from The Courage Book for VFL Finals 1897-1973 in case you haven't come across it.

1672490851245.png

Hi Miles

Managed to pick up a copy of the book in Dymock's Sydney which was a pleasant surprise as the website advised no copies were available. I'm enjoying the read.

One picture from the 1968 GF I like very much and didn't notice in the book is below - old campaigners battling it out indeed. It is from The Courage Book for VFL Finals 1897-1973 in case you haven't come across it.

View attachment 1580155

That's a great pic. It would have been nice to include that one. I am not sure who owns it, but perhaps it is a News Photos picture? They didn't mention it to me though. I agree that it would have been a good inclusion. The expression of determination of Nicholls' face alone makes it a beauty.

There was another photo I was close to including from the grand final of Serg out marking Blethyn in a pack, but it was a bit dark. The features of the players weren't clear enough, but it says a lot about how Serg nullified Blethyn with his marking. The Blueseum have a relatively clear version of it here.

Yeah, with Dymocks. They are selling it at most of their stores, but for some reason they haven't got around to updating their website. I contacted them about it, but wheels are in motion....slowly.

show_image.php

Last edited:
That's a great pic. It would have been nice to include that one. I am not sure who owns it, but perhaps it is a News Photos picture? They didn't mention it to me though. I agree that it would have been a good inclusion. The expression of determination of Nicholls' face alone makes it a beauty.

There was another photo I was close to including from the grand final of Serg out marking Blethyn in a pack, but it was a bit dark. The features of the players weren't clear enough, but it says a lot about how Serg nullified Blethyn with his marking. The Blueseum have a relatively clear version of it here.

Yeah, with Dymocks. They are selling it at most of their stores, but for some reason they haven't got around to updating their website. I contacted them about it, but wheels are in motion....slowly.

show_image.php

There is a caption of the bottom of the Nicholls / McKenzie photo that gives the source as Herald Sun photo.

The Courage Book for VFL Finals 1897-1973 has some good quality photos therein. Later (paperback) editions of the book dropped many if not all of these photos and I believe the quality was not as good. I've kept my old copy for the photos.

Thanks for sharing the pack mark photo - it is a cracker!

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back