Past Vale Ronald Dale Barassi

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of them were against Collingwood too ? :)

Absolute Icon. He was one of those figures you figured would be around forever

Six.

I’d love it if the AFL renamed the Premiership cup after him - imagine the melts of The Filth having to display “The Ronald Barassi” cup in their foyer if they ever won one

The first number I had on my Blues jumper (with the plastic emblem) was 31 back in the mid 60s and I would religiously watch his football show (afternoons? Saturday mornings?). Mum had a massive crush on RDB so got me a Carlton jumper, sewed on the numbers, and got me supporting the Blues despite my father and brother being Pies fans.
RIP RDB. And thank you.
Saturday mornings. That's what got me supporting Carlton eventually. I've recited this story many times in the past, but I would watch the Saturday morning footy show and Barassi would be on it. And I got a case of hero worship happening. And when my grandmother (Collingwood) and my grandfather (Essendon) decided it was time for me to choose a team, they were apparently the only two choices in their eyes. But they lost it a bit when I informed them I barracked for Ron Barassi.

Nope they said, you have to barrack for a team... say "C'arn <relevant team>". And I stuck to my guns. Then Brass Arse left the blues and I was devastated. But by then, I'd started supporting the Blues and despite another concerted effort, I once again stuck to my guns. My 150th jumper has 50 on the back... because that was how old I was in that year. If I live long enough and the world doesn't fall apart in the mean time, I will be 100 when the club turns 200.

I would just like to thank my football hero, Ronald Dale Barassi Jr, for being in charge of the team at the time because we went through some great times over the years. I've seen some absolutely legends pull on the jumper and run out for the club. One of the absolute best was Ron "Brass Arse" Barassi.

Vale Ron and condolences to his friends and family.

Last edited:
When I was a green 4yo the only footballer I had heard of was RDB. Naturally I had leaning to the then powerful red and blue team he played for. When Barras moved to Carlton, it not only turned the footy world upside down (it wasn't the done thing in those days) it also turned my allegiences around. Almost 60 years later I thank Ron for being the light that led me to my beloved Blues. Years of watching big Nick and Percy and Jezza and Dom and Doormat and Keogh Lofts, Walls, Kouta and all the champoins they like to send up is down to that fateful decision.

He basically invented modern football, eschewing the 'mark and prop' game and turning it into the 'run and recieve' game.

Vale Ron. Absolute Legend among Legends.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was Carlton's coach when I first started following the Blues in 69.
I went to the 75 Grand Final when North won their first flag, he was coach of the Roos.
I was here in Sydney in 93 when he took up the offer to coach the Swans.
The only connection to RDB I missed was his time at Melbourne, because it was too early for me.
His contribution to 4 clubs, and the game in general, is immeasurable. His legacy will live on.
A very sad day.

Rest in Peace legend.

Took us from the doldrums to premiership glory. Master coach, fierce motivator.

Huge impact at 4 clubs.

Deepest sympathies to family, friends, associates and those Melbourne and Carlton faithful older than I am who lived Ron's contributions to our club.

Ron's contributions for the game even after my birth into my early adulthood were significant. I'll always remember with fondness how he changed the game forever in the northern states.

How fitting last night was with a come from behind victory.

Farewell legend. Forever appreciated. Never forgotten.

Saddened by the death of Ron. He was an AFL legend. Our great coach for premierships in '68 & the famous '70 flag, against Collingwood. Behind by 44pts at half-time & using
"play-on & handball", we overran the Magpies to win before a record crowd of 121000. Although a Melbourne person, always had a soft spot for the Mighty Blues. In a different era, was a hard but successful coach. I've met him several times in his retirement and will treasure several selfies with him. Was a perfect gentleman. A great Australian. Commiseration to his family. May he rest in peace.

Barass was quiet simply the most influential person in the history of the game for the last 60 years, from the inspirational player at Melbourne to the creative, revolutionary coach from the Blues to eventually the Swans.
He created the concept of player mobility, by bucking the traditional 'one club' career, to taking your skills elsewhere, I wonder comparatively how much he was paid to go to Carlton in '65 in today's currency? $1M a year? He virtually opened the doors for the likes of Wade, Davis, Rantell, etc that later took North Melbourne to it's first two Premierships, where he was the coach!?!
He also changed the game on the field, the "hand ball at all costs " brought us what is still the biggest comeback victory in a GF, 53 years later!!
He bought into the corporation growth future of footy, we are still benefitting from that today.
I see such parallel's between 1965 and today, the resurrection of what was once the dominant team in the competition who had fallen into disarray, to an era that brought 7 premierships, to today where that same team has matured to the point whereby we are on the cusp of a similar successful era.
Ted Whitten was all bravado, Barass thought about his legacy, and created one which will keep impacting for generations to come, every change to the game really brings it back to RDB's vision, a quick, fast paced game with dare rewarded with the ultimate prize. He owned ten premierships in his lifetime.
And how fitting that in his last day, two of his teams played a complete blinder in the best game (so far) of the 2023 AFL season!!

RIP Ronald Dale

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Vale Ronald Dale Barassi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back