Barry 05 vs Goddard 10 vs Jesaulenko 70

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you know that?

Jesaulenko took his mark at the 27 minute mark of the second quarter, ie not long before half-time.

The Blues then came out and kicked 7 goals in the first 11 minutes of the third quarter, reducing a 44 point deficit to just three points.

We all know the romantic "handball at all costs" half-time speech story, but given the timing how do we know that Jezza's mark didn't inspire the side as well?

Carlton fan talking about Carlton player, ok, I get it.

You're right, Jesa's was the most inspirational, biggest, best, important, game deciding, meaningfull mark in history. Noone else will ever take a mark in a GF which surpasses it. The rest of the football world quivers with the perfection that was the Jesa mark. Amidoinitright?

Taking a mark on the wing doesn't have the same isolated impact that taking a mark in the goalsquare does, therefore, it is not as meaningfull. Goddards mark and goal directly effected the scores, the Jesa mark didn't.

Lvl 9000 baby.

Leo Barry's mark was the greatest mark of all time IMO, Goddard was very very close.

Both huge in the context of the games, Leo Barry's just that bit better..although it pains me to say it.

Carlton fan talking about Carlton player, ok, I get it.

You're right, Jesa's was the most inspirational, biggest, best, important, game deciding, meaningfull mark in history. Noone else will ever take a mark in a GF which surpasses it. The rest of the football world quivers with the perfection that was the Jesa mark. Amidoinitright?

Taking a mark on the wing doesn't have the same isolated impact that taking a mark in the goalsquare does, therefore, it is not as meaningfull. Goddards mark and goal directly effected the scores, the Jesa mark didn't.

F***wit.
Not much point going past the bolded bit if that is your attitude to what I wrote. I said I was biased initially. That doesn't detract from the point I made in response to you, which was that a bloke takes a mark like Jezza's and within about 15 minutes of that his side is within a kick after being 44 points down. And you don't think it can be considered meaningful despite that and also because it was taken on the wing?

Oh, and do you have to call me a f***wit in white font? Is that your level of maturity? :D

Not much point going past the bolded bit if that is your attitude to what I wrote. I said I was biased initially. That doesn't detract from the point I made in response to you, which was that a bloke takes a mark like Jezza's and within about 15 minutes of that his side is within a kick after being 44 points down. And you don't think it can be considered meaningful despite that and also because it was taken on the wing?

Oh, and do you have to call me a f***wit in white font? Is that your level of maturity? :D

No, I don't think it is as meaningfull as either Barry or Goddard. In both those situations, it was pretty cut and dried as to what impact both those marks had on the result, you can't say the same thing about the Jesa mark, where a multitude of other things could have been responsible for the turn around.

Interviews I've seen of Carlton players say the biggest thing for them was the hurt they felt from losing the year before, and how they didn't want to feel that again. Others have said it was the change of tactics. From the limited interviews I have seen of that GF, none I have seen say the mark was the reason for the turn around.

Either way, you're trying to attach some meaning to an even which had no tangible impact on the game. I could quite easily use your own argument to say the bloke who kicked the torp to Jesa turned the game, or the bloke who passed it to him did, or how the bloke who knocked up one of their mothers 30 years before, directly set in stone a series of events that caused the turn around.

Like I have repeatedly said, the Goddard and Barry marks directly impacted the result of the game, and as such, makes them more meaningfull.

And to answer your questions, no and possibly. I do not know if it is at the same maturity level as my current level of 9000.

Goddard's very fresh in mind so I might be biased and hence why I voted for it.

Either way, because of context:

Goddard/Barry > Goddard/Barry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jes

No, I don't think it is as meaningfull as either Barry or Goddard. In both those situations, it was pretty cut and dried as to what impact both those marks had on the result, you can't say the same thing about the Jesa mark, where a multitude of other things could have been responsible for the turn around.

Interviews I've seen of Carlton players say the biggest thing for them was the hurt they felt from losing the year before, and how they didn't want to feel that again. Others have said it was the change of tactics. From the limited interviews I have seen of that GF, none I have seen say the mark was the reason for the turn around.

Either way, you're trying to attach some meaning to an even which had no tangible impact on the game. I could quite easily use your own argument to say the bloke who kicked the torp to Jesa turned the game, or the bloke who passed it to him did, or how the bloke who knocked up one of their mothers 30 years before, directly set in stone a series of events that caused the turn around.

Like I have repeatedly said, the Goddard and Barry marks directly impacted the result of the game, and as such, makes them more meaningfull.

And to answer your questions, no and possibly. I do not know if it is at the same maturity level as my current level of 9000.
So why didn't you address the points as you have done above in your previous post?

Why did you resort to labelling according to type, typing a completely unrelated sarcastic paragraph and then finishing with moronic abuse instead?

And you have the hide to even consider talking about maturity. :D

Goddard's, just monstrous and then calmly slotted the goal to tie the scores up for the first time since the start. Compare to Jezza's he had the added difficulty of having a player right up his clacker (Brown I think it was). Jezza had a nice free run at his. Goddard is a big man too compared to Jezza.

Although Jezza's is probably the prettiest I'd probably have it last out of the three listed.

Goddard then Barry and then Jezza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why didn't you address the points as you have done above in your previous post?

Why did you resort to labelling according to type, typing a completely unrelated sarcastic paragraph and then finishing with moronic abuse instead?

And you have the hide to even consider talking about maturity. :D

I did, you just didn't realise it. Anyways, this has now gone beyond the mark for you, so for the sake of keeping the boards emo free, by all means, drop me a PM, which I will completely ignore.

I did, you just didn't realise it. Anyways, this has now gone beyond the mark for you, so for the sake of keeping the boards emo free, by all means, drop me a PM, which I will completely ignore.
No worries.

I'll make sure it includes abuse in white font to give me a chance of relating to you on your level.

:)

Leo's shouldn't be considered. It was a good mark but technically it wouldn't have even been top 10 for this year. The only thing saving it is context.

Adam Hunter's goal was a shitload more important than the one Buddy snagged this year but it was hardly better.

Just watched the Leo Barry mark again.

Did anybody else notice that he was the one that coughed it up in the first place?
I can assure you that every Sydney fan knows that! Leo goes down the line to Jolly, Cox works him under it and takes the mark. Cox kicks bombs it in, Leo makes himself famous.

I'll say that Goddard's was the better mark and Leo's was the better moment.

I don't think Leo Barry's mark was more important. In fact, I think of it as over-hyped tbh.

If you watch the moments prior to Barry's mark, you would see that HE was the one who put it into the advantage of Cox in the first place. All he did was mark the ball he rushed out (in the defensive 50), 5 seconds before the final siren. On top of this, Sydney were ALREADY in front, so you could go into the hypothetical and claim that the ball could have went to ground and locked up anyway. There is no real outcome here. But he didn't win the GF for Sydney, it was already there.

Whereas, St Kilda WERE down for the ENTIRE match, prior to Goddard's mark. The reason why his is more important, to me, is because he followed it up with a goal that not only put St Kilda infront for the first time (and physically saving the game period), but also gave the Saints momentum and belief that they could come back no matter what. Goddard, unlike Barry, was not the catalyst of that ball. With this said, it was also in the most effective area for such a situation, and looked harder too.

Another point I'll make is that Goddard was more of an instrumental player in the 2010 GF, than Barry was in 2005.

By this reasoning, I see Goddard's mark as not only more complex, but more important in the grand scheme of things as well.

218668.jpg

218723.jpg

I don't think Leo Barry's mark was more important. In fact, I kind of think it was insignificant, and overhyped.
Dude, don't be silly, Barry's mark won a grand final. But it has no place in this thread. Not sure why the OP is comparing apples to oranges? When people talk about marks, they are talking about speccies. barries mark belongs in the "Nick Maxwell touches Reiwoldt's kick on the line" / "Daniel Chick make amazing tackle on Tugboat Richards" bucket.

btw: great snaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry 05 vs Goddard 10 vs Jesaulenko 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Back