Coach Be vewy vewy quiet we're hunting coaches.

If we can't get Clarko - who do you want as next NMFC coach?

• Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Mark "Chocco" Williams

Votes: 87 32.0%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • James Hird

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Scott Burns

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jesus

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Satan

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Gary Ayres

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Supercoach Patch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be in pretty poor taste to say yes with Noble sitting there in those circumstances...just food for thought.
You're not wrong, but at the same time I can say with pretty strong certainty the club had legitimately not made any contact with Clarkson, at least not before Noble was no longer the head coach.

Something very interesting this time around is that at least temporarily, the perception of the club has shifted.

For whatever reason we seem to be a sexier proposition than during the coach hunt in 2020.

The media is tying us to quite a few genuine options rather than trawling through the league for guys who "might" be coaching candidates.

It might all boil down to a similar outcome in terms of candidates in the mix but right now we've shifted to being treated as a proper destination for a quality senior coach.

The media is tying us to quite a few genuine options rather than trawling through the league for guys who "might" be coaching candidates.

I accept I'm probably overly cynical here, but I do worry that the media is setting us up to fail in this regard.

It's getting to the point that if we don't get Clarkson, it'll be seen as a failure for the club. Despite the fact the speculation tying him to us has been entirely media-driven.

Something very interesting this time around is that at least temporarily, the perception of the club has shifted.

For whatever reason we seem to be a sexier proposition than during the coach hunt in 2020.

It might all boil down to a similar outcome in terms of candidates in the mix but right now we've shifted to being treated as a proper destination for a quality senior coach.

We seem like a better proposition because we haven't just burnt a coach to the ground through the season for him to walk away from football an into a medical facility.

Since 2020 we have practically cleared all the decks, and are currently midst another review which will likely drive more change.

The playing list, despite sitting last is seen as under delivering and not over burdened by the need to cut a huge amount more. The blokes that are critical on the list are not the older blokes bar 2.

I am hopeful that any shift sees us able to attract more candidates rather than being seen as a tainted chalice.

I accept I'm probably overly cynical here, but I do worry that the media is setting us up to fail in this regard.

It's getting to the point that if we don't get Clarkson, it'll be seen as a failure for the club. Despite the fact the speculation tying him to us has been entirely media-driven.

It won't matter who we get IMO.

We are overwhelmingly likely to finish bottom of the ladder, which in turn probably confines us to bottom 4 next year. Which means more losses. Which will mean even if we get Clarkson, he's still going to lose a lot and the media are still going to pile in on us.

The best of the mainstream footy media is still shithouse. None of them should be trusted. Any North supporter who has watched on this year as these guttersnipes have piled in on everything from JHF liking a tweet, to playing 11 games in Tassie, to we should knife Noble and then asking if we acted to quickly, should be wary of anything the media say.

Outside of the odd clip on YT I don't do footy media anymore because whatever they have to say is biased.

It's all just clickbait - I refuse to give any of them clicks or money. They're just random articles "I reckon x would be good" with zero intelligence, analysis or effort.

We are overwhelmingly likely to finish bottom of the ladder, which in turn probably confines us to bottom 4 next year. Which means more losses. Which will mean even if we Clarkson, he's still going to lose a lot and the media are still going to pile in on us.

Odds are yes. I guess if you take the approach though that Noble underperformed with a list that was capable of at least something closer to the Collingwood game then it is fair to say that a coach that overperformed with the 2023 version of this list should be capable of pushing well out of the bottom 4.

It's all just clickbait - I refuse to give any of them clicks or money. They're just random articles "I reckon x would be good" with zero intelligence, analysis or effort.
This is the absolute correct response to the mainstream football media.

This is the absolute correct response to the mainstream football media.
Agreed.

I sometimes scan through articles on here (where they won't get my click / advertising) but 90% of the time I read 1-2 paragraphs and give up. Bad writing, poor analysis writing designed to allow fans of other clubs to play with themselves is not something I'll support. The best AFL media is in a handful of blogs and independent media which is an indictment on the industry.

Odds are yes. I guess if you take the approach though that Noble underperformed with a list that was capable of at least something closer to the Collingwood game then it is fair to say that a coach that overperformed with the 2023 version of this list should be capable of pushing well out of the bottom 4.

It is almost statistic anomalies that win the spoon and then jump out of the bottom 4 the following year. It has happened but is rare. IIRC its something like 90% that a wooden spoon side will be in the bottom 4 the following year. I did the math in the preseason.

I have not done the looking to see what back to back wooden spooners do but I am willing to bet it is not pretty.

Agreed.

I sometimes scan through articles on here (where they won't get my click / advertising) but 90% of the time I read 1-2 paragraphs and give up. Bad writing, poor analysis writing designed to allow fans of other clubs to play with themselves is not something I'll support. The best AFL media is in a handful of blogs and independent media which is an indictment on the industry.

The best North content is from Rick18 and he is about as biased for as we are.

Agreed.

Little wonder the mainstream footy media sucks when you have a **** smoker like Hutchison in charge of one of the major outlets and the print/TV media and AFL racing to the bottom to see who can get more eyes on screens.

Robbo, Niall and King are about the only ones in the mainstream media I've got any time for.

Despite what was said in yesterday's press conference it is possible, maybe even very likely that Clarkson's agent has been contacted, even if Clarksons himself has not.

He may be overseas by coincidence or by design at the current time. Who knows? His manager would be the point of initial contact regardless.

Despite what was said in yesterday's press conference it is possible, maybe even very likely that Clarkson's agent has been contacted, even if Clarksons himself has not.

He may be overseas by coincidence or by design at the current time. Who knows? His manager would be the point of initial contact regardless.
Exactly any politician could drive a truck through the gaps in those statements given about talking to Clarkson.

Having given it much thought over the last few days, I think we are in a very strong postion to attract a quality coach.
Basicly we have had three years of painful clean out, have one #1 draft pick and about to add another plus a top up PP.
The list needs futher development, but I really do think it upside from here on in. I dont see the huge number of list cloggers we had only a few years ago and I do see a lot of potential talent already on the list. I honstey think with a few select recuits we could become compediative in a short space of time.
Having gone though the hard years, coaches should be lining up for the job.
Sunrise Dawn GIF by University of Florida

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly any politician could drive a truck through the gaps in those statements given about talking to Clarkson.

Look, you're not wrong. There's always wiggle room in public statements like that.

However, Alastair Clarkson is a man of dignity. Sonja and Ben are club leaders with dignity.

If you want to start a new relationship with a prospective new coach, you don't begin from a foundation of strength by making that first approach when you still have a head coach you haven't fired yet.

It's like dating a new person when you're still married - it's a dick move.

Our club genuinely didn't do it, and if we had, Clarkson would have been right to rebuff us.

When do you think the announcement of the appointment of the senior coach will be made?

Before the end of the season?

At the very latest, needs to be before trade week which is a couple of weeks after GF.

Gonna be a long 3 months of speculation if it drags out that long!!

When do you think the announcement of the appointment of the senior coach will be made?

Before the end of the season?

At the very latest, needs to be before trade week which is a couple of weeks after GF.

Gonna be a long 3 months of speculation if it drags out that long!!
Depends on Clarkos answer

If he says yes then it’s immediate

If he says no then I’d say maybe a month to finalise interviews and process

A coach with better ideas and the right people around him could potentially make a huge difference. There is talent on that list

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Be vewy vewy quiet we're hunting coaches.

Back