Scandal Ben Cousins at it again - Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

The resources to deal with Mental illness is a bit of a joke it seems.

Lets see what next week's episode entails, because this guy clearly ain't all there and is out roaming around again. We've seen this movie too many times.

The resources to deal with Mental illness is a bit of a joke it seems.

Lets see what next week's episode entails, because this guy clearly ain't all there and is out roaming around again. We've seen this movie too many times.
He's not all there cause he chooses to takes drugs. Don't insult people who are genuinely battling mental illness by putting them in the same basket.

He's not all there cause he chooses to takes drugs. Don't insult people who are genuinely battling mental illness by putting them in the same basket.

What a bizarre post. Point out to me where I "insulted people who are genuinely battling mental illness" please.

I've worked in the health system and seen it first hand, the handling of mental illness is a subpar as the resources just aren't there enough. It's not a sexy issue for the government sadly.

What a bizarre post. Point out to me where I "insulted people who are genuinely battling mental illness" please.

I've worked in the health system and seen it first hand, the handling of mental illness is a subpar as the resources just aren't there enough. It's not a sexy issue for the government sadly.

It's available for those who want help and have the funds and resources to do so - ben chooses not to - big difference

It's available for those who want help and have the funds and resources to do so - ben chooses not to - big difference

I realise that. People with mental illness often aren't in the right mind to "want" help. Whether the people admit themselves or not, my point is the resources aren't there, whether it be room for them or otherwise. I've been around a few and it leaves a lot to be desired. With no beds available in a psych ward they can be put in other non-psych wards that are ill equipped to deal with it..and dangerous stuff happens or they simply let them go....I'll just say that and leave it there.

Not that I don't agree that Ben's problems are his own fault btw. They are of course. I just think with a flawed system and ben being ben the outcome is very predictable.

I realise that. People with mental illness often aren't in the right mind to "want" help. Whether the people admit themselves or not, my point is the resources aren't there, whether it be room for them or otherwise. I've been around a few and it leaves a lot to be desired. With no beds available in a psych ward they can be put in other non-psych wards that are ill equipped to deal with it..and dangerous stuff happens or they simply let them go....I'll just say that and leave it there.

Not that I don't agree that Ben's problems are his own fault btw. They are of course. I just think with a flawed system and ben being ben the outcome is very predictable.
Point is, he doesn't have a mental illness. He's a drug addict, nothing more nothing less.

He ''chooses'' to take drugs lol. He takes drugs because of past drug use habits and its affect on his brain. This is not a cop out or excuse. There is no excuse, you have to pay to play. It was his choice to start yes, buts its no longer a choice to him anymore, its instinctual.
The resulting compulsive behaviors that override the ability to control impulses despite the glaringly obvious negative consequences are similar to hallmarks of other mental illnesses. Example; So someone is injecting shit into a gaping gangrenous hole in their arm (obviously not good right?) yet they keep wanting to do it, at the same time they know they shouldn't, and you reckon the idiots head is clear as day? You don't ever get ''cured'' of drug (hard drugs) addiction. You just end up developing ways to abstain from it. The best cure is not to fall in love with this drug. Its with you to the day you die, it definitely fades a bit though but it will always be in the back of his mind, regardless of kids, loved ones, consequences etc.

He ''chooses'' to take drugs lol. He takes drugs because of past drug use habits and its affect on his brain. This is not a cop out or excuse. There is no excuse, you have to pay to play. It was his choice to start yes, buts its no longer a choice to him anymore, its instinctual.
The resulting compulsive behaviors that override the ability to control impulses despite the glaringly obvious negative consequences are similar to hallmarks of other mental illnesses. Example; So someone is injecting shit into a gaping gangrenous hole in their arm (obviously not good right?) yet they keep wanting to do it, at the same time they know they shouldn't, and you reckon the idiots head is clear as day? You don't ever get ''cured'' of drug (hard drugs) addiction. You just end up developing ways to abstain from it. The best cure is not to fall in love with this drug. Its with you to the day you die, it definitely fades a bit though but it will always be in the back of his mind, regardless of kids, loved ones, consequences etc.
I don't care if it's 'instinctual' for him or not. Drugs are a choice. Becoming addicted is not excuse to keep going. You stop. It's that easy. I'd know, it used to be me!!

I don't care if it's 'instinctual' for him or not. Drugs are a choice. Becoming addicted is not excuse to keep going. You stop. It's that easy. I'd know, it used to be me!!
Oh, and that you don't get 'cured' from hard drug is garbage. I was a heroin addict for over 10 years. I chose to 'cure' myself. I just stopped being a drug addict. It IS that simple.

Last edited:
Oh, and that you don't get 'cured' from hard drug is garbage. I was a heroic addict for over 10 years. I chose to 'cure' myself. I just stopped being a drug addict. It IS that simple.
I applaud you for being that strong, however lets not forget that there are different levels of strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not all pretend we know what's going on in his head and deal with facts.
- Since AFL his post career life is down the drain.
- He has made some pretty poor choices.
- He cannot stay away from trouble.

He needs to go to Rehab or mental institution to help clear his head and hopefully come back better.

What? That all piss is weak??

Lots of stories where people who are on strong meds for a sustained period of time, for injuries or illness end up addicted

That's not piss weak in my eyes, more a victim of circumstance.

But I digress, Cuz is a junkie pure and simple.

Oh, and that you don't get 'cured' from hard drug is garbage. I was a heroin addict for over 10 years. I chose to 'cure' myself. I just stopped being a drug addict. It IS that simple.
Yes, drug addicts are by nature weak as piss. Everyone goes through shit in their life, it's how you CHOOSE to handle it that defines you.

Yeah, we get it, you're a big hero with an iron will. Pity being so strong has left you without a compassionate bone in your body. You probably think people are admiring you when you make your tough statements, but trust me when I say that behind your back people will be commenting on your smug, superior and self-aggrandising attitude. People won't show their vulnerabilities around somebody who gets on their high horse and talks about how they beat this and that with their pure will power. Your experience has nothing to do with other people. Making generalisations based on yourself just means you can't understand what others are going through. Everybody has a different story, and judging them on your tired assumptions doesn't help. I really hope you aren't involved in drug support groups.

Last edited:
He might have a mental illness.
Point is, he doesn't have a mental illness. He's a drug addict, nothing more nothing less.
Geez, you make a lot of know-it-all statements. How do you know that? He might have a mental illness which is exacerbated by drugs. Or the mental illness might even be what tempts him to use drugs. Ben is really messed up, but we can't claim to know everything about him and what's causing him to be so messed up. Just saying "he's a druggie" is barely scratching the surface and manifestly inadequate as an explanation.

Last edited:
He might have a mental illness.

Geez, you make a lot of know-it-all statements. How do you know that? He might have a mental illness which is exacerbated by drugs. Or the mental illness might even be what tempts him to use drugs. Ben is really messed up, but we can't claim to know everything about him and what's causing him to be so messed up. Just saying "he's a druggie" is barely scratching the surface and manifestly inadequate as an explanation.
Cry me a river! IF He's been using dope since he was 15. Time to man up.

Last edited:
Yeah, we get it, you're a big hero with an iron will. Pity being so strong has left you without a compassionate bone in your body. You probably think people are admiring you when you make your tough statements, but trust me when I say that behind your back people will be commenting on your smug, superior and self-aggrandising attitude. People won't show their vulnerabilities around somebody who gets on their high horse and talks about how they beat this and that with their pure will power. Your experience has nothing to do with other people. Making generalisations based on yourself just means you can't understand what others are going through. Everybody has a different story, and judging them on your tired assumptions doesn't help. I really hope you aren't involved in drug support groups.
I would never be involved in druggo self help groups!! There are plenty more worthy people in this world who need help, than a bunch of self centred, weak willed, junkies. And what people say behind my back is none of my business and none of my concern.

I'm surprised how healthy Ben looked from those photos of him handing himself in. His physical appearance doesn't fit the typical 'meth' addict look. I'm also surprised that there was not any more fuss around the mother of his children being charged in court with a used syringe. I thought she was a clean living naturopath. Considering she admitted using drugs with the syringe, I'm guessing it was either ice, heroin or cocaine? If so those kids need to be taken away from both her and Ben ASAP.

I read his book a while ago and I think (without knowing much at all) that Ben tends to have a couple of months clean, where he is doing well, finding purpose in life, and then he feels like he needs to 'reward' himself with ice for how well he has done, which results in a 5/6 day bender, which results in drug induced psychosis, which results in one of these weird episodes that we've been hearing about. I find it all really sad. I grew up watching the guy, he was so exciting to watch. I so hope he can get well, and above all I feel for his family. Ice is evil and he just clearly completely in its grip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Ben Cousins at it again - Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back