Ben Johnson...That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very rare that a bloke hits career best form at 29, but so far this season that's exactly what he's shown.

He's almost been like a completely new recruit out there, so fingers crossed he can maintain it.

Not that rare MDC...

Did he break his leg last year? He had a massive pre season, and I thought was playing great footy than, and was set for a big year.

An ACL this year would have been cruel. It turned out a minor injury, and a minor set back, to another big pre season, and possibly his best year for the Pies, which would go a long way in giving us glory on the last day of September.

I'd say that he is very important to us, he is a big bodied midfielder in a young side, he has run and carry and a bit of pace. Remember his season in 2006? His 2010 could be better. That means great things for the Pies.

He was pretty good a few years back when he was runner up in the Copeland, not sure he's in career best form. However I think he is certainly in our best 22, which isn't something I thought would be the case after 5 rounds this year

Your comment diminishes all the good football he has played in the past

Nonsense. You could make an argument that his '06 was better (he was significantly quicker then, and probably a bit more accountable). I prefer improved ball use and decision-making to greater speed, which is why I prefer his current form.

The fact remains that from '08-'09 he was nowhere near the player he was in '06 or the player he looks like now. Thus my comment. If you're happy to ignore the most recent two years of form and just base your evaluation of a player on his best year or two, that's your prerogative.

Nonsense. You could make an argument that his '06 was better (he was significantly quicker then, and probably a bit more accountable). I prefer improved ball use and decision-making to greater speed, which is why I prefer his current form.

The fact remains that from '08-'09 he was nowhere near the player he was in '06 or the player he looks like now. Thus my comment. If you're happy to ignore the most recent two years of form and just base your evaluation of a player on his best year or two, that's your prerogative.

Sweeping statements based on 3 games this year.

You need more evidence before reaching your conclusions. Jonno is just back doing what he is capable of. He was back to that level in 2009 also but season was cruelled by injury.

It seems so long ago when the Round 1 teams were released and my immediate response was "Ugh, Johnson". He's certainly made me eat humble pie this year though, looks like a completely different player, hitting targets as well. Go Johnno, there's always a place in the side for players who deliver week after week.

Me too :eek:
I used to cringe when I'd see him with the ball, that day he went down with his knee I felt sick because even that day I against the dees I thought he was great, and boy-o-boy has he made me eat my words and feel a bit ashamed....I'm right behind you mate, sorry I doubted you even moreso because you are a born and bred magpie diehard....... :thumbsu:

He wasn't saying that Johnno was any good in 2008-2009. He was simply saying that he hasn't all of a sudden hit career best form and to say that he has when he isn't in our best 10 players anymore diminishes him.

I personally thought he was the best player at the club in 2006 and should have won the Copeland. Now I could name a good number of players who I could say have been better than him this year. In early 2007 the scribes had him as one who could potentially move into the elite category. Of course, he went backwards, not forwards and never got close to the level he was displaying. Now, he is proving to be VERY VERY important to our structure again and good on him. Lesser men would have packed it in after all of the setbacks he's had in the last couple years. I think the absence of Johnno and Heater was understated in the St Kilda game as we missed their run enormously. The fact that we can include him in that argument just proves how wrong the majority of us (me included) were about him prior to this season.

Also, his kicking generally improved in late 2005/early 2006 but this is the best it's ever been. He's always been a good finisher/kick for goal but tended to spray them occasionally. I am now very confident when he has the ball in his hands.

it's great to have johnno in this kind of form, i think his run and the way he breaks the lines is vital for us.

I think the absence of Johnno and Heater was understated in the St Kilda game as we missed their run enormously.

QFT, without their run our delivery into the forward line was a lot slower which allowed them to get 3 or 4 players back, i think both these guys are now essential for our structure.

Runs hard, never gets tackled, breaks the lines and his left foot is deadly on the run especially from 50.

WAR JOHNNO!!!!!!!

Sweeping statements based on 3 games this year.

You need more evidence before reaching your conclusions. Jonno is just back doing what he is capable of. He was back to that level in 2009 also but season was cruelled by injury.

Exactly. When Johnno was on the park last year, he was playing good footy. The copeland votes reflect that.

I had other players in front of him and was very surprised that he was still on the list (along with corrie and cook). But he has been great this year. We missed him a lot when he went off injured against the Demons.

Well done, Johnno!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I on the Collingwood board?

Lots of love for Johnno.:eek:

Although it was definitely deserved.

I get the feeling, and it's may well be just a feeling, that Luke Ball has a lot to do with the burgeoning form of some, Wellers, Johnno and Beams specifically, and the slightly strange early performances of others, Pendles particularly.
With Ball in the middle it is giving the former 3 more help in and around the packs and the latter Pendles, and Sidebottom, even more time and space outside to work their magic.

The midfield dynamic has changed and for the better, regardless of Ball individual stats, and we are a better side for it.

He has worked hard in getting his body the best it can be and is now reaping the rewards. Years ago he was a bit of a whipping boy but now he is a walk up start in our 22 and a vital clog in the team. His run & kicking efficiency against Essendon was fantastic! Keep it up Johnno
And who would of thought he's Dutch!

Absolutely loving Johnno playing like this at the moment. Was playing great footy last year until injured as well but that was forgotton very quickly.

I've been a big defender of Johnno so stoked to see some other people on this board giving him some well deserved kudos :thumbsu:

The midfield dynamic has changed and for the better, regardless of Ball individual stats, and we are a better side for it.

Bingo. Our midfield is looking a hell of a lot better this year, and I think Balls work has a lot to do with it. He's not having a massive impact alone, but the flow on effect of freeing Pendlebury and Beams up has been huge.

Although not one of my favourite players, i am happy for Ben and i hope his run of form continues. I think only Ben Johnson at the very top of his game has a place in our side, as his kicking skills and decision making is not acceptable when he has been off his game like he has been on many occasions over the last season or two.

His game against Essendon was proof that he adds a certain element to the side in his ability to run and take on the game off half back without taking a backward step and pinpointing passes. He plays the style of game that if he has an off day he can continually turn the ball over and his mistakes become costly and clearly evident to any pies supporter watching. Ben Johnson playing at the very top end of his game as he seems to be doing this season can be valuable but anything short of his very best and i think we have other options available waiting in the wings for a call up.

I think he's the best crap player in the AFL. Or at least one of the most important.

We have plenty of run in the team right now, but for some reason he provides something a bit different. I think it's because he is always direct and always kicks. Where some of our other players will dish off or go sideways or kick to the boundary. Johnson can run and you know he is going to kick and kick to a relatively dangerous area.

I'm really suprised at those claiming he is in career best form. He might be close to the best, but what he has produced this year is nothing new. I think alot of people have short memories because in just 2006 he produced his best ever season, averaging over 23 possessions and almost 3 tackles a game. I'm only complaining because I think its dis-respectful to him to actually claim we've never seen Ben Johnson produce this kind of quality performances before. He hasn't played almost 200 games for no reason.

For the last 3-4 years, he would be one of our safest running shots at goal, whenever he gets it, I don't doubt he'll drill it through.

I'm really suprised at those claiming he is in career best form. He might be close to the best, but what he has produced this year is nothing new. I think alot of people have short memories because in just 2006 he produced his best ever season, averaging over 23 possessions and almost 3 tackles a game. I'm only complaining because I think its dis-respectful to him to actually claim we've never seen Ben Johnson produce this kind of quality performances before. He hasn't played almost 200 games for no reason.

For the last 3-4 years, he would be one of our safest running shots at goal, whenever he gets it, I don't doubt he'll drill it through.
189 games and counting....

How is it that people fail to comprehend the difference between "career best form" and "he was rubbish every year before this one".

Johnno deserved the vast majority of those games (say 97%), as he was a very effective small back before turning into a running mid.

But this year, he's actually averaging very close to a career-high in disposals (especially when you consider the injury) and using it better than ever. Thus career-best form. Capiche?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Johnson...That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back