Ben Johnson...That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it that people fail to comprehend the difference between "career best form" and "he was rubbish every year before this one".

Johnno deserved the vast majority of those games (say 97%), as he was a very effective small back before turning into a running mid.

But this year, he's actually averaging very close to a career-high in disposals (especially when you consider the injury) and using it better than ever. Thus career-best form. Capiche?

I have to agree with Pielebo mdc that 2006 was his best year.

You've obviously under-estimated his value throughout his career, because I don't think there is much new that we're seeing from Ben Johnson. I've always seen his worth to the team. He might be getting alot more of the footy now, but the run and carry, hard football ect. we're seeing this year, I've seen him do consistently for the last 5 or so years, obviously, as you also said, around 97% of the time, because he has had his form slumps.

Everyones making it out as if he is in career best form, 'never seen him this good' ect. But he has been doing this since 2006 and please don't kid yourself mdc, he hasn't been a small back since he was a teenager. He has been a HBFer/midfielder most of the last decade.

You've obviously under-estimated his value throughout his career, because I don't think there is much new that we're seeing from Ben Johnson.

...or maybe you're under-estimating his current form.

We won't agree, and that's fine, but to say it's "disrespectful" to Johnno to suggest he is in career-best form is malarchy.

Bottom line, Johnson has been exceptional so far and I hope he keeps it up. I think his just reward would a Premiership medal this year if he does. :D

I think previously i always got onto him about his disposal, he was kinda the team whipping boy when we couldnt kick. however at the moment he is proving to everyone that not only has he always been able to get the ball, run and carry it but his disposal has either improved or i love him just that much more...

Getting the best out of himself and contributing well.

My age old issue with Jonno, (same for Leon, Tarks and Cheesy) is that they are downhill skiers, all look damned wonderful when we are on a roll. However, in the crunch games, the big games, the tight games, the games where we need experienced heads to put their bodies on the line and stand up for the team, they are the first to go MIA.

Let's just see how it pans out towards the pointy end of this year and hope we can revise recent history.

How is it that people fail to comprehend the difference between "career best form" and "he was rubbish every year before this one".

Johnno deserved the vast majority of those games (say 97%), as he was a very effective small back before turning into a running mid.

But this year, he's actually averaging very close to a career-high in disposals (especially when you consider the injury) and using it better than ever. Thus career-best form. Capiche?
Agree this is Benny circa 2006 (which was his best year), he was rather solid in 2007 until he damn near killed Daniel Bell with the shirt front and he lost all form on return in 08.

Great to see Benny back in really good form

I
think I'm having de ja vu?

Or did he play really well again?

Onya BJ.:thumbsu:

Feel free to "blend' this thread with the current one as it may run for some time.:D:D

Getting the best out of himself and contributing well.

My age old issue with Jonno, (same for Leon, Tarks and Cheesy) is that they are downhill skiers, all look damned wonderful when we are on a roll. However, in the crunch games, the big games, the tight games, the games where we need experienced heads to put their bodies on the line and stand up for the team, they are the first to go MIA.

Why not just watch our final against Adelaide last year, MYTH BUSTED!!!

Very thankful i found this thread becuase i was going to make one on Johnno.

Loving his work and as many have said, he is playing close to that bar he set in 2006. His kicking though is definitely in career best form. Hitting targets a treat.

Something fishies going on.
Johnno just played the same game for three weeks straight???

Someone must be photoshopping the oppo jumpers in some old reruns?

Almost makes it look like he has value to the side.:D:D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Go Johnno.:thumbsu:

Oh and BTW.........

****en Alan Toovey........GOAL!!!!!

Go Possum!!!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put my hand up to say I was very wrong about Ben Johnson.

Have bagged the shit out of him over the years (and for a while, justifiably so) but I'd almost argue he is our most important player for one reason or another.

Good job. Been brilliant this year.

People have loved bagging him - his form after he got suspended for hitting Bell was very poor - but they forget he was one of our best players in 2003 and runner up in the Copeland the next year (or year after).

Shows you what a difference attitude makes, and that players can improve on their weaknesses over time.

If we make a prelim or grand final this year i can just imagine johnson being the sort of player to break the lines and kick one of those long raking goals to break the shackles. for some reason it keeps running through my mind every time i see him this year.

This is what I mean when I say the luck is with us this year - Johnno/Jonno (?) in killer form, even after his did his leggy.:thumbsu:

I think that little leg injury just re-aligned his foot.:D

Oh and by the way did I mention Toovey kicked a goal.....:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Agreed, Johnson is on fire and continuing to fly under the radar, especially after injuring his knee.

My proposal:

• We schedule each player to have one of their patellas dislocated every 7 rounds.
  • Out-of-form players are to either have both patellas dislocated and/or a patella dislocated every 3 rounds until they have reached career best form.
  • During finals, we conduct "Patella Dislocative Performance Enhancements" weekly, just to ensure top finals form.

I think that little leg injury just re-aligned his foot.:D

Oh and by the way did I mention Toovey kicked a goal.....:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

You may have. When's Tooves Appreciation Week coming up?

Agreed, Johnson is on fire and continuing to fly under the radar, especially after injuring his knee.

My proposal:

• We schedule each player to have one of their patellas dislocated every 7 rounds.
  • Out-of-form players are to either have both patellas dislocated and/or a patella dislocated every 3 rounds until they have reached career best form.
  • During finals, we conduct "Patella Dislocative Performance Enhancements" weekly, just to ensure top finals form.

Strategic knee-capping.:thumbsu: I've seen it work before.

Don't know if this has been said already but... I think BJ is on of the best kicks for goal on the run in the club (maybe even the AFL) probs on par with Didak.

When he shot that kick from the boundary on the run and it was touched on the line this week was starting to get excited. Just love his unco kick, def shud be the deso handball round the back (when a player isn't confident of the shot) ala Ryan Lonie.

You may have. When's Tooves Appreciation Week coming up?

Strategic knee-capping.:thumbsu: I've seen it work before.
If Possum kicks another goal out of defence next week I'm going to post that up for sure.

I feel another sig-change coming on.

And 1eon, agree re: BJ on the run. He looked so confident and relaxed after that goal on Saturday.:thumbsu:

Look for the soon to be posted "Awesome Possum" product range :D which is already available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Johnson...That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back