Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind this. Presumably we're getting him on less coin per year than we would for a two year signing. He's actually quite useful in that high-effort forward role that we've managed to kill a dozen other midfielders in. And if we end up with significant midfield injuries in a match he can always pinch hit in there.

Maybe 1 year too many, but is likely relatively cheap...he's pretty good bang for buck imo. I've been a fan since we signed him.

Yes, he's an ugly player...a bit like that awkward pitcher in Moneyball;
but like Billy Bean's recruits in Moneyball, Keays 'get's on base'.

He has brain farts, but his effort can never be questioned. If anything, he tries too hard.

He runs, spreads, tackles, kicks GOALS (54 goals 46 behinds since joining us), and hunts the ball. AND he can play a defensive shut down role. I love him! He is an infinitely better option than other smalls like McHenry, Sholl, Hamill, Murphy, Sloane and Parnell. Keays does quite a few things very well. The others do bugger all 'very well'.

I expect him to be surpassed by others in the coming 2-3 years, but we have waaaay bigger issues on our list than Ben Keays.

I see Reid has been singing contracts while drunk again.

Nothing like giving an extra year or two to a guy that LITERALLY NO-ONE is going to try and recruit.

Reading this post, you haven't had a drink I hope?

"Hasn't missed a game since rd 2 2020"

I wonder why that is nicks. You continually select spuds like murphy so that means absolutely nothing

Of all the problems in our side, Keays is one of the least right now. His speed and fitness not to mention a good goal sense is proving to be an asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His workrate is incredible as his drive to improve and be the best player he can be. I’d have him at WCE in a flash.

I know Port gets praised on here for how they trade in players from other clubs, but you are building a fairly decent list yourself - Keays, Rankine, Dawson, Hinge, Keane (aware he is not a trade per se, but ex Collingwood). Reid is good at his job. Now time to turn a couple of midfield targets into reality and add to the list further!

"Hasn't missed a game since rd 2 2020"

I wonder why that is nicks. You continually select spuds like murphy so that means absolutely nothing.

Waiting for some happy clapper galah to tell me he's never deserved to be dropped.

So I found out last night, apparently I'm one of those galahs you speak of, so I'll bite.....
Going by your posts, I highly doubt you've ever been happy or clapped. You also don't know much about football....

There are plenty worse on our list. He sets standards on the training track and never stops running in games. Suffers the occasional brain fart but which of our players don't.

His brain fart count is getting lower as he gos and hes obviously put a lot or work into his deficiencies over the off season. I think I even saw him put one on the right foot this week.

The guy has self awareness. I like that.

So I found out last night, apparently I'm one of those galahs you speak of, so I'll bite.....
Going by your posts, I highly doubt you've ever been happy or clapped. You also don't know much about football....
Sup jordan keays. Long time no see.

His brain fart count is getting lower as he gos and hes obviously put a lot or work into his deficiencies over the off season. I think I even saw him put one on the right foot this week.

The guy has self awareness. I like that.

I have been known to bump into him at the airport with my kids. My eldest yelled out Ben Keays and he gave him the thumbs up and he replied G'day mate.
My son loved it. This is what endears kids to their heroes.
He loves how he runs all day. He said if Rory Laird did that he would be shocked.

Never heard of her, sorry
I was actually very happy before the 2017 gf. You weren't a crows supporter then though aye? Only jumped on board when benny arrived and tells others they know nothing about footy when they criticise a nothing above average footballer.

We've been dogshit since 2017 mate. There's hasnt been much to be happy about.

Last edited:
I was actually very happy before the 2017 gf. You weren't a crows supporter then though aye? Only jumped on board when benny arrived and tells others they know nothing about footy when they criticise a nothing above average footballer.

Mate....I went to every home game from 1991 to 2003 then I moved to Darwin. I still travel down once a year for a home game.

Yup. Nothing above average 🤷

Screenshot_20240415_202656_AFL.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back