ben reids just not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Because Lukey69 is smart enough to realize the guy can't kick a football?

In english one more time?

maybe you should of tried watching a reserves game last year! looks a nice field kick to me. showed it in patches on friday night too.

Ben Reid is not being judged on one match is he???

In english one more time?

maybe you should of tried watching a reserves game last year! looks a nice field kick to me. showed it in patches on friday night too.

Ben Reid is not being judged on one match is he???
I watched a lot of reserves games last year and yes he was quite good but their is a lot of difference the 2's and seniors, I just don't think he can handle the pressure at the moment but I hope he can turn that around.

I watched a lot of reserves games last year and yes he was quite good but their is a lot of difference the 2's and seniors, I just don't think he can handle the pressure at the moment but I hope he can turn that around.
All quite normal for a player trying to break into a top 4 side really.
I don't understand what everyone is panicking about.

did well on kosi... stanley took a mark over the top of reid. Reid was in front and going back. Stanley had the sit. probably couldhave brought it to ground, but that sort of stuff happens....

brown's problem is that he starts from behind his man...

so many nuff nuffs in here... thought i was in the Richmond Forum.

did well on kosi... stanley took a mark over the top of reid. Reid was in front and going back. Stanley had the sit. probably couldhave brought it to ground, but that sort of stuff happens....

brown's problem is that he starts from behind his man...

so many nuff nuffs in here... thought i was in the Richmond Forum.

Agree on all counts.

Couldnt agree more - its a ridiculous thread. Its no wonder players want to let off some steam at years end when they have to put up with moron threads like this one.

Having just panned some of the neg comments about Reid it appears kicking is an issue. Anyone noticed our capt's footskills are terrible at times. The Jolly super goal was v lucky bc Maxy's shank landed amongst 3 saint players but went to a Collingwood player. If it hadnt it would have been a turnover goal. He did it a number of times last year as well so lets think twice about pulling 1 bad kick of Reid's out. As I said earlier, the footskills in the first half of the whole team were poor on Friday night and Harry's dumb tackle and the poor manning up were as big an issue as Reids kick

A little comparison;

Games as a key defender at AFL level;

Ben Reid = NONE (1 NAB Cup match)

Nathan Brown = 33 (37 in total, I'd say 4 up forward)

And to me, Reid did the better job on Friday Night, at least restricting Kosi, as Brown was had 6 goals kicked on him by 3 different opponents in 2 1/2 quarters (Riewoldt 4, Stanley 1, Mcevoy 1).

Reid showed something the other night in his first ever senior attempt at playing as a key back, this thread is just another pathetic attempt to put our club down by the "naysayers".

Seriously, give these guys a break. Reid and Brown are still developing, Brown had a shocker and from all reports Reid actually kept his opponents quiet, which is exactly what he was supposed to do. Yes he made a silly mistake at the end but he will learn. The more AFL exposure they receive the faster they will improve. I am sick of seeing people write off young players, esp when they have hardly had any opportunities. All this expectation that they are meant to be superstars in their first game just shows how out of touch these people are with reality. For the majority of players it takes a lot of effort, determination and hard work to meet the demands of 4qtrs of AFL every week. They are not going to improve if they are not rubbing shoulders with the best at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too concerned with Reid as I think he'll continue to improve with senior AFL experience. We're in what we believe is a premiership window so obviously opportunities aren't gifted to players but I do think that Reid is a player we need to provide with as much opportunity as possible.

Reid's field kicking was damaging throughout the year in the VFL and he also showed an ability to find the ball. He showed some glimpses on Friday night and whilst he'd like to have his last kick over again it was basically just an example of inexperience. People thinking that Reid and Brown have been around long enough - especially when taking the positions they're being groomed for into account - are being extremely unreasonable.

Brown I'm a little concerned about, but he still has time on his side. I think his biggest problem at the moment is that he becomes transfixed with his direct opponent and plays almost exclusively from behind. The modern game - particularly with all the rule changes that have made life as a forward a lot easier - requires defenders to be more intuitive in reading the play whilst also being a lot more proactive as opposed to reactive.

Perfect example was when Franklin was carving us up either last year or the year before and we switched Maxwell to him. Maxwell ended up stifling Franklin's influence for the last half of the match purely by playing from the front more often than not. I'm not saying it's as simple as playing from the front, it's more a case of experience translating into knowing when to go or not. Maxwell has improved in this area, the same as Harry O'Brien and many other defenders throughout the league. Hopefully with more time and experience the likes of Reid and Nate will develop accordingly.

It also pays to remember that defence is a collective effort. You look at the individuals who filled key positions for Hawthorn in 2008 and St. Kilda in 2009 and you wouldn't think they were anything to phone home about. As a unit however they were/are incredibly good. Defence isn't decided entirely by personnel, but instead a structure that runs the entire length of the field with forwards and midfielders doing their bit defensively. We've got a good mix of defenders in place and I'm pretty confident that when the real stuff begins and our defence starts clicking the likes of Presti, Brown and/or Reid will be getting better assistance from the rest of our squad.

If you wanted a neutral view on them try offering either Reid or Brown up for trade. IMO we would have first rounders thrown at us left right and centre and get back what we paid or better. Young KPP's who have showed potential are worth their weight in gold.

No guarantee they will fulfil this potential but both are keepers for mine and if they can become serviceable over next 1-2 years i'll be thrilled and hope they can become topline in 3-4 years as they enter their mid-20's.

Remember we got these guys (and Dawes) as part of our succession planning knowing Wakelin, Presti, Rocca were all about to go, the unexpected depature of Clement made the situation worse. If not them then better come up with another plan quick or we be (gulp) Carlton.

I would stick up for both Brown and Reid saying both are fine and just need more games and with more games will come confidence.

They are both their physically, have the skills. Just a few more games into their legs at AFL level against AFL level competition and they will make it as AFL footballers no problem.

I have seen them both produce so I'm pretty confident in them both.

Just because he can't kick doesn't mean his rubbish :p

Goodness me I cannot believe you just said that!

I suggest you pop back in and delete it LOL

Ben REID was actually okay against the Saints. Nothing to write home about and a couple of his disposals were diabolical, especially the attempted pass to Pendleberry that missed him by metres and went out of bounds. But that is always going to be the deal with Reid.

More worrying was that 3 of the 4 most impressive young players on the ground were Saints. McEvoy, Stanley and Armitage all showed their class much to my envy.

Most worrying for us was the form of Nathan Brown. The number of actual good games he has played at AFL level is very low. He was reasonable in his first few games against J Brown and Pavlich but has gone backwards alarmingly since that time. He shows absolutely nothing in most of his games. Being an exceptionally low possession player is fine if you are doing a 'Presti' on your opponent. But he is struggling with being even a totally negative player. And that is not to make a comment on what are mostly meaningless matches such as those of the NAB cup, but on all the games he has played thus far.

2011 will be make or break for Reid and Brown, not 2010. This year remains a development year. I'm very confident with Reid as his athletisicm makes him the ideal modern defender. Brown has definitely gone backwards a bit but he just needs to string some games together after injury cruelled his 2009.

I was a fan of drafting Leigh Brown from day one and more and more I am seeing Collingwood fans slowly sold on the idea of Leroy being around a little while longer while the young exciting kids stay on a development path.

I agree with those saying there has been a major over reaction to last Fri night

I was happy with Reid and believe he will be a very good player for us this year.

His last kick has been over analysed because of the subsequent passage of play. It was the result of a bad decision in a pressured situation. It can be forgiven.

Concentrating on his kicking I think so many miss whats to see because of that stuttering run up a few years ago (a one off and hasnt been repeated) and Friday nights kick. He has a really sound technique and beautiful form to his kick. I think it will become a stand out feature of his game and cause a lot of damage in the future

Hopefully the myth that he cant kick will die a natural death over time

I remember a night match against St Kilda Ages ago, there was a young kid there, that was built fairly solidly for his age. His task was try to hold a gun of the competition in Tony Lockett. We had an undersized Crosisca that would be mauled by him in height alone, so this kid was our only hope. He got absolutely smashed badly by Lockett, I think he kicked close to ten goals that night.... Well it felt like it anyway! We traded him out, and from that moment on we all watched as he learnt the craft for another side, and became an all Australian Full Back. Any clues as to who I am talking about?........

Mal Michael.

Kicked nine. The only thing worse than watching that matchup was watching Lockyer dominated by Paul Kelly in his third senior match. Oh, and Lockett's 1,300th goal... but I have a soft spot for the Swans, and Kelly and Lockett in particular, so really it wasn't that hard for me to watch at all...

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if I'm thinking of the same match.... I'm thinking of Round 10, 1999, which was a day match against Sydney? Michael got towelled up there too, though. :D

Reid's kicking was pretty good the other night apart from his attempted pass to Pendles in the opening quarter and in the last minute where it was more a case of the wrong decision rather than the kick itself.

Hit some very nice flat bullets to teammates, particularly Heater.

Definitely needs to work on his body-on-body in the marking contest/spoil but that will come with more games and experience at the top level.

We need to keep the faith and persist with Reidy and Browny in the defensive 50 because Presti (the champ that he is) won't be around forever.

I have complete trust in Mick's ability to bring out the best in these two young future bookends for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

ben reids just not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back