Lonergan same
J Williams playing half back get lots of touches and run
Silverlock looks a find kicking has been a bit off
Melksham started well faded a bit
Laycock been our best ruck T Bell a close 2nd
Hurley in 2nd gear making it look easy
Darcy been good up forward
Colyer kicked goal of the day

Thanks for that mate. Good news. Is Hurley playing up forward or down back?

Hurley fwd has kicked at least 2
Colyer is not ready adjusting still to pace of senior football rushes a lot of his kicks

Hurley just kicked another
134. To 78. 10 mins to go

To solid wins in a row is a great start!! Lets hope they can continue this form when the real stuff starts.

Ess having a small injury list will definately help!!

Bendigo Practice Match Report vs. Casey Scorpions

The result of the game was almost meaningless given that we were playing the Melbourne reserves and had a side that contained 23 Essendon listed players. We played with 26 players to ensure that all players got some decent TOG. I think we scored 20.22 to 12 goals.
Rather than talking about the game I’ll go through each player as that is what everyone is interested in. I’ve taken stats for each player but I would probably allow an extra 5-10% total possessions for each player.
Abbreviations are (K-kick, HB – handball, M- mark , G-goal, B-behind, T- tackle – H/O –hitout to advantage, C - clangers

Jake Carlisle
3K – 7HB – 4M – 1T
Played his entire TOG as a half forward presenting up and then doubling back deep forward. Was part of the forward line rotation with Hurley, Still and Daniher (generally 2 up forward at a time). He has exceptional hands below his knees and took a great mark at his ankles running at full pace. The kid has talent and will do well at Bendigo as the season progresses. Also made good decisions.

Mark McVeigh
12K – 7HB – 2M – 2T – 2G
Was the ideal tune up for him leading into the Fremantle game next week. He started the first quarter at half back and then spent the rest of the match in the guts. He looked a class above everyone else out there as you would hope he would. Didn’t win a stack of it as his TOG was managed but won plenty of hard ball and clearances. Kicked well for goal also. He cramped up at the end in his calf but he will be fine.

Anthony Long
4K – 15HB – 1C – 3T – 3M
Played off half back in the ‘Dempsey’ role that seems in vogue. He didn’t really get into the game until the 2nd half in which he started to cut off a lot of attack patrolling the area between CHB and the Centre Square. Was reluctant to kick the ball until the last quarter which put a couple of teammates under pressure, but as he became more confident he provided a lot of drive. You can see that he reads the play very well and is very calm under pressure. Looks the goods.

Sam Lonergan
9K – 8HB – 3M – 2G
It took him a half to really get into the game but he got better as the match progressed. Kicked some nice goals on the lead when playing deep forward for short periods (Winderlich style). Worked really well with Bellchambers and McVeigh in the centre clearances in the last quarter with the 3 combining to win 4 clearances in a row. I’m not sure he did enough to replace Howlett next week though, although he could provide the extra forward option.

Jake Melksham
9K – 7HB – 4M – 1T – 1C - 1G
Spent his time on the wing and little in the centre. He has the confidence to take the game on and make the play which is encouraging. A couple of times he lacked awareness and was chased down. His skills were clean and he managed to run to the right spots when in space. I don’t think he is ready just yet but could play seniors later in the season as he gets a higher level of fitness.

Michael Hurley
12K – 1HB – 7M – 3G -2B
Played exclusively up forward as per Knights’ announcement 2 weeks ago – by forward I mean CHF. Was part of the same forward rotation and didn’t really hit his straps until the last 45 minutes of the game (5 of his 6 scoring shots were in the last quarter). His first 3 kicks were from marks on the lead and then swung around on his left foot and pumped it into the 50. His hands weren’t quite as clean as usual but he worked hard on the lead and presented well. Was a little sore at the end of the game but nothing to concern ourselves with. Didn’t appear to have any issue with his thumb (which was strapped). Will be ready to fire Round 4.

David Myers
8K – 9HB – 1C
Played exclusively in the back line. He was also the designated kick out when he was on the ground. His kicking was quite good today in field play although some of his long bomb kick outs went straight to the opposition. His work in close is excellent. There are times when he will hit a pack get the ball and feed it out with 3 opposition players around him. Defensively he was sold and he looked to be running freely. Another few weeks to gain match fitness then he will put his hand up for selection.

John Williams
8K – 12HB – 4M – 2C
He played HBF for the entire match and really impressed me with his work rate and ball winning ability. He attacks the contest hard and provided plenty of drive. He made a few bad errors which you would expect from a player in a new role but showed enough promise to make me think he could be work persevering with. Didn’t try to take any species just spoilt his opponent.

Michael Still
3K – 6HB - 4M – 2B
Again part of the same forward rotation. He presented well and took some solid marks leading up the ground. Should have kicked 2 but missed them. Looks to have very good hands in a contested marking situation and his second efforts at ground level today were also very good. It will be good to see him develop as the season progresses.

Jason Laycock
2K – 7HB – 1G - 1T – 6H/O
The 3 ruckman rotated with 1 in the ruck, 1 FF and the other on the bench. Laycock was the 2nd choice ruckman and started FF. The stats don’t look great but his work rate today was exceptional. He has picked up his pace and was chasing midfielders and defenders all day with great intent. His hands looked good when he was on the lead and his ruckwork got better as the match wore on. However I think Bellchambers may have the running for next week if Hille is suspended.

Darcy Daniher
7K – 3HB – 4M – 1T – 2G – 1B
Again part of the same forward rotation. He started really well but had less TOG in the 2nd half as they used Hurley more frequently. He took some solid pack marks and generally used the ball quite well. Also did some good crumbing work up forward and created some chances. I thought he was quite solid without being a standout.

Travis Colyer
4K – 4HB – 1G -1B - 2T
Kicked a sensational goal running through the midfield and get a 1-2 (similar to the YouTube footage from the TAC Cup). He started in the midfield and then spent more time down forward as a crumber. He didn’t win a lot of the ball but what he did when he had it was good. His size didn’t appear to be an issue at all and he went in hard for the ball.

Kyle Hardingham
12K – 3HB – 3M
Was rotating with Myers down back but would also find himself at FB at times. He looked quite solid in defence and provided a bit of drive from HBF. His spoiling was also quite good and he won some solid ball in close. His use of the ball was good without being fantastic. I wouldn’t have him in the seniors yet though.

Taite Silverlock
10K – 6HB – 2M – 2T – 4C
Spent time in the centre square in the first half and then time up forward in the second half. He is quick and has an excellent ability to win the ball and get 2-3 possessions in the same chain of play. His kicking today was quite ordinary at times as he was trying to do too much. He goes in hard and laid some solid tackles.

Tyson Slattery
6K – 5HB – 3M – 1T
Played in the back half and looked like he had missed a chunk of pre season. He was tired at the end which you would expect. He linked up well with Myers at times when running the ball out of defence. His disposal still needs a little bit of work but he just needs a solid month of training behind him before we see him start to hit his straps.

Jarrod Atkinson
4K – 8HB – 1B
Played off the back flank and hardly saw the ball until the last 45 minutes. Gave away a stupid 50 when he was sucked in by Newton. He tries hard but I just don’t see him in the Best 22. He runs over the ball, his disposal is a little suspect and he isn’t tight enough on his opponent. He looks the same player he was when I watched Bendigo reserves 9 months ago (and he got a senior spot 4 weeks later) so who knows.

Michael Quinn
8K – 6HB – 3M – 4T
Played half forward and he looks like a footballer now. You don’t get the sense of confusion when he has the ball as he is much more settled and aware. His use of the ball was good and his pressure was also excellent. Didn’t win a lot of the ball but he did win some contested possessions which was great to see. Had some nice goal assists.

Bachar Houli
13K – 8HB – 5M – 1B
Was playing on the wing for the entire game. I thought he was quite good today. He accumulated the ball and set up quite a bit of play from the HBF on the rebound. He made a few errors with his handball but nothing to be too concerned about. He chased well today I thought and wouldn’t be too far from pushing for a senior spot.

Nathan Lovett Murray
14K – 7HB – 5M – 2G – 1B – 1C
Played exclusively in the centre square today. He dominated the first quarter and was part of everything. He wins the hard ball so well that perhaps he could spend some time in the square this season to assist the likes of Jobe. He had plenty of running bounces forward of the centre today and should have kicked a few more goals. He looks very fit and primed to slot into the seniors Round 3.

Tom Bellchambers
4K – 5HB – 5M – 13H/O – 2B
He really impressed me today with his ruckwork and work around the ground. He looks a terrific athlete. His work in the centre square with Lonergan, McVeigh and NLM was outstanding. He also took some terrific contested marks up forward and should’ve had 2 goals. I would have him before Laycock if we were looking for a pure ruckman to replace Hille next week. He is going to be a very good player.

Stuart Crameri
5K – 7HB – 3M – 1G
He is a solidly built player and played a bit of everywhere today. His left foot disposal is good but his handballing is an issue. Too many times he would miss targets or put teammates under pressure. Has good tackling pressure and impacts contests. Will be solid for Bendigo again this season.

Christian Bock
2K – 5HB – 2G – 1B 1M – 1T 3H/O
Part of the 3 ruckman combination. He actually looked very sharp up forward and got into good positions deep to score his two goals. His work around the ground also improved dramatically from what we saw in the NAB Cup. He competed well in the ruck without being too effective. He is improving with each game which is what you want from a rookie listed ruckman.

Marcus Marigliani
6K – 10HB – 2M – 5T – 1G
Was in everything in the first quarter when given time in the centre square. He hits the contest hard and throws his body into everything. He didn’t get as much opportunity in the middle after quarter time and also had a hit to the nose which bled for a while. He is a wholehearted player he gives you everything in the Luke Ball mould (without being anywhere near as good). Solid right foot disposal.

Sorry mate, I've got no idea. Does he play full back? If so he may have been #22.

We played with 26 players (8 interchange) and the only non Essendon listed players were Skipworth, Cloke and #22.

He was named to play on Essendon's website and was listed as #16. Doesn't sound like he ended up playing though.

#22 I think is Flaherty (last year's best and fairest winner).

Thanks again.

Reveiw of Bendigo v Casey

From BomberBlitz.

The Moustache plumbed new depths of footy nerddom today by making the long solo trek out to Cranny from East Melbourne to watch a Bendigo practice match. Must say I quite enjoyed being able to watch the game in such a relaxed environment and it was good to get up close to the huddle at the quarter and three quarter time breaks.
It was difficult to get a real feel for who was playing well as we seemed to have about a dozen blokes on the bench and the rotations were pretty constant.
Some observations:
- Thought NLM was BOG playing mostly midfield from what I could tell.
- Hurley copped a knock to the shoulder in the 2nd qtr and looked to be in some discomfort but stayed on the ground. Had it strapped in the second half but it didn't seem to hinder him greatly. Didn't seem to get out of 1st gear for most of the game but still looked a class above. Would have had about 5-6 shots on goal and I think finished the game with 3 majors.
- McVeigh was McVeigh. Played well but nothing out of the ordinary. Probably will get the recall next week. I was standing next to the senior coaching staff and at one stage McVeigh was bowled over. Knights was laughing: "He's done his fuse again. Look at him puff his chest out!"
- Knights and Prescott were particularly impressed with Long in the third quarter. Prescott remarked, "he's cutting them up every time it goes down there" to which Knights responded "he's a very good player" (I started feeling like a stalker at this point so I moved up to the other end of the ground).
- Myers impressed me today. It was the best game I've seen from him in a long time. Seems to have freed up a bit in terms of his movement and made some beautiful passes.
- Laycock positioned himself well in a few marking contests up forward but couldn't make the grab. Looked fit but didn't really make an impact.
- Thought Houli turned it over once or twice but played OK. Always runs hard.
- Hardingham worries me a bit with his kicking. Seems to tumble them a bit.

Ok here's my review of todays game. Was a good day to watch footy actually.

Bendigo this year will obviously have a dramatic improvement with the players on the park. Nice to see another game today with no injuries.
Lots of positives today but still handball errors did show up which is pretty much how Casey scored..most goals from turnovers.

Bendigo pretty much dominated most of the game but did have quite a big lapse in the 3rd Qtr wich Shannon Grant at the next address let them know strongly. Skipworth at 3qtr time really let the players have it...quite a strong leader. Mcveigh also yelled out.."hey everyone is taking silly pot shots at goal and not thinking..get with it guys"

Best players for me:
McVeigh: was tough in the clinches but I dont think wasted a possesion all game...could have done with that last night. Will easily come back..kicked 2 goals I think as well.

Myers: This was the best I have seen Myers in decision making and skill. Looked like a leader on the field and was quite suprised how good he looked. I was right on the bench as the players were coming off and Myers mentioned to the Doctor..."hey the back and hammy's feel alot better..touchwood Doc but I think we have turned a corner" They both smiled. Take out of that what you want.

Hurley: Fairly quiet in first half but did some nice things. Second half though he came out of his shell and pretty much dominated his opponent. Was exciting to watch and the forward line looked so dangerous when he stepped up. Just 2 rounds to go!!!

Laycock: I really liked Laycock's game today...is reducing his brain fades and is actually playing tough and winning the ball. Kicked a nice goal and I would say will come in next week if Hille is suspended.

John Williams: Was very good of Half-Back. Great leap to spoil his opponent and also ran off well. Would have had over 20 touches i would say. He is improving.

Lovett Murray: Was pretty much everywhere today...had plenty of the ball. Could come straight back in after round 2.

Other players who were good: Houli, Marigliani(great in clearances), Silverlock, Bock (is getting bigger and better), Lonergan and Melksham

The final score was:
141-78 I think, we won. :thumbsu:

Photos:http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55180&st=105

Re: Reveiw of Bendigo v Casey

I posted this in the Bendigo thread but will put it here too.

Bendigo Practice Match Report vs. Casey Scorpions

The result of the game was almost meaningless given that we were playing the Melbourne reserves and had a side that contained 23 Essendon listed players. We played with 26 players to ensure that all players got some decent TOG. I think we scored 20.22 to 12 goals.
Rather than talking about the game I’ll go through each player as that is what everyone is interested in. I’ve taken stats for each player but I would probably allow an extra 5-10% total possessions for each player.
Abbreviations are (K-kick, HB – handball, M- mark , G-goal, B-behind, T- tackle – H/O –hitout to advantage, C - clangers

Jake Carlisle
3K – 7HB – 4M – 1T
Played his entire TOG as a half forward presenting up and then doubling back deep forward. Was part of the forward line rotation with Hurley, Still and Daniher (generally 2 up forward at a time). He has exceptional hands below his knees and took a great mark at his ankles running at full pace. The kid has talent and will do well at Bendigo as the season progresses. Also made good decisions.

Mark McVeigh
12K – 7HB – 2M – 2T – 2G
Was the ideal tune up for him leading into the Fremantle game next week. He started the first quarter at half back and then spent the rest of the match in the guts. He looked a class above everyone else out there as you would hope he would. Didn’t win a stack of it as his TOG was managed but won plenty of hard ball and clearances. Kicked well for goal also. He cramped up at the end in his calf but he will be fine.

Anthony Long
4K – 15HB – 1C – 3T – 3M
Played off half back in the ‘Dempsey’ role that seems in vogue. He didn’t really get into the game until the 2nd half in which he started to cut off a lot of attack patrolling the area between CHB and the Centre Square. Was reluctant to kick the ball until the last quarter which put a couple of teammates under pressure, but as he became more confident he provided a lot of drive. You can see that he reads the play very well and is very calm under pressure. Looks the goods.

Sam Lonergan
9K – 8HB – 3M – 2G
It took him a half to really get into the game but he got better as the match progressed. Kicked some nice goals on the lead when playing deep forward for short periods (Winderlich style). Worked really well with Bellchambers and McVeigh in the centre clearances in the last quarter with the 3 combining to win 4 clearances in a row. I’m not sure he did enough to replace Howlett next week though, although he could provide the extra forward option.

Jake Melksham
9K – 7HB – 4M – 1T – 1C - 1G
Spent his time on the wing and little in the centre. He has the confidence to take the game on and make the play which is encouraging. A couple of times he lacked awareness and was chased down. His skills were clean and he managed to run to the right spots when in space. I don’t think he is ready just yet but could play seniors later in the season as he gets a higher level of fitness.

Michael Hurley
12K – 1HB – 7M – 3G -2B
Played exclusively up forward as per Knights’ announcement 2 weeks ago – by forward I mean CHF. Was part of the same forward rotation and didn’t really hit his straps until the last 45 minutes of the game (5 of his 6 scoring shots were in the last quarter). His first 3 kicks were from marks on the lead and then swung around on his left foot and pumped it into the 50. His hands weren’t quite as clean as usual but he worked hard on the lead and presented well. Was a little sore at the end of the game but nothing to concern ourselves with. Didn’t appear to have any issue with his thumb (which was strapped). Will be ready to fire Round 4.

David Myers
8K – 9HB – 1C
Played exclusively in the back line. He was also the designated kick out when he was on the ground. His kicking was quite good today in field play although some of his long bomb kick outs went straight to the opposition. His work in close is excellent. There are times when he will hit a pack get the ball and feed it out with 3 opposition players around him. Defensively he was sold and he looked to be running freely. Another few weeks to gain match fitness then he will put his hand up for selection.

John Williams
8K – 12HB – 4M – 2C
He played HBF for the entire match and really impressed me with his work rate and ball winning ability. He attacks the contest hard and provided plenty of drive. He made a few bad errors which you would expect from a player in a new role but showed enough promise to make me think he could be work persevering with. Didn’t try to take any species just spoilt his opponent.

Michael Still
3K – 6HB - 4M – 2B
Again part of the same forward rotation. He presented well and took some solid marks leading up the ground. Should have kicked 2 but missed them. Looks to have very good hands in a contested marking situation and his second efforts at ground level today were also very good. It will be good to see him develop as the season progresses.

Jason Laycock
2K – 7HB – 1G - 1T – 6H/O
The 3 ruckman rotated with 1 in the ruck, 1 FF and the other on the bench. Laycock was the 2nd choice ruckman and started FF. The stats don’t look great but his work rate today was exceptional. He has picked up his pace and was chasing midfielders and defenders all day with great intent. His hands looked good when he was on the lead and his ruckwork got better as the match wore on. However I think Bellchambers may have the running for next week if Hille is suspended.

Darcy Daniher
7K – 3HB – 4M – 1T – 2G – 1B
Again part of the same forward rotation. He started really well but had less TOG in the 2nd half as they used Hurley more frequently. He took some solid pack marks and generally used the ball quite well. Also did some good crumbing work up forward and created some chances. I thought he was quite solid without being a standout.

Travis Colyer
4K – 4HB – 1G -1B - 2T
Kicked a sensational goal running through the midfield and get a 1-2 (similar to the YouTube footage from the TAC Cup). He started in the midfield and then spent more time down forward as a crumber. He didn’t win a lot of the ball but what he did when he had it was good. His size didn’t appear to be an issue at all and he went in hard for the ball.

Kyle Hardingham
12K – 3HB – 3M
Was rotating with Myers down back but would also find himself at FB at times. He looked quite solid in defence and provided a bit of drive from HBF. His spoiling was also quite good and he won some solid ball in close. His use of the ball was good without being fantastic. I wouldn’t have him in the seniors yet though.

Taite Silverlock
10K – 6HB – 2M – 2T – 4C
Spent time in the centre square in the first half and then time up forward in the second half. He is quick and has an excellent ability to win the ball and get 2-3 possessions in the same chain of play. His kicking today was quite ordinary at times as he was trying to do too much. He goes in hard and laid some solid tackles.

Tyson Slattery
6K – 5HB – 3M – 1T
Played in the back half and looked like he had missed a chunk of pre season. He was tired at the end which you would expect. He linked up well with Myers at times when running the ball out of defence. His disposal still needs a little bit of work but he just needs a solid month of training behind him before we see him start to hit his straps.

Jarrod Atkinson
4K – 8HB – 1B
Played off the back flank and hardly saw the ball until the last 45 minutes. Gave away a stupid 50 when he was sucked in by Newton. He tries hard but I just don’t see him in the Best 22. He runs over the ball, his disposal is a little suspect and he isn’t tight enough on his opponent. He looks the same player he was when I watched Bendigo reserves 9 months ago (and he got a senior spot 4 weeks later) so who knows.

Michael Quinn
8K – 6HB – 3M – 4T
Played half forward and he looks like a footballer now. You don’t get the sense of confusion when he has the ball as he is much more settled and aware. His use of the ball was good and his pressure was also excellent. Didn’t win a lot of the ball but he did win some contested possessions which was great to see. Had some nice goal assists.

Bachar Houli
13K – 8HB – 5M – 1B
Was playing on the wing for the entire game. I thought he was quite good today. He accumulated the ball and set up quite a bit of play from the HBF on the rebound. He made a few errors with his handball but nothing to be too concerned about. He chased well today I thought and wouldn’t be too far from pushing for a senior spot.

Nathan Lovett Murray
14K – 7HB – 5M – 2G – 1B – 1C
Played exclusively in the centre square today. He dominated the first quarter and was part of everything. He wins the hard ball so well that perhaps he could spend some time in the square this season to assist the likes of Jobe. He had plenty of running bounces forward of the centre today and should have kicked a few more goals. He looks very fit and primed to slot into the seniors Round 3.

Tom Bellchambers
4K – 5HB – 5M – 13H/O – 2B
He really impressed me today with his ruckwork and work around the ground. He looks a terrific athlete. His work in the centre square with Lonergan, McVeigh and NLM was outstanding. He also took some terrific contested marks up forward and should’ve had 2 goals. I would have him before Laycock if we were looking for a pure ruckman to replace Hille next week. He is going to be a very good player.

Stuart Crameri
5K – 7HB – 3M – 1G
He is a solidly built player and played a bit of everywhere today. His left foot disposal is good but his handballing is an issue. Too many times he would miss targets or put teammates under pressure. Has good tackling pressure and impacts contests. Will be solid for Bendigo again this season.

Christian Bock
2K – 5HB – 2G – 1B 1M – 1T 3H/O
Part of the 3 ruckman combination. He actually looked very sharp up forward and got into good positions deep to score his two goals. His work around the ground also improved dramatically from what we saw in the NAB Cup. He competed well in the ruck without being too effective. He is improving with each game which is what you want from a rookie listed ruckman.

Marcus Marigliani
6K – 10HB – 2M – 5T – 1G
Was in everything in the first quarter when given time in the centre square. He hits the contest hard and throws his body into everything. He didn’t get as much opportunity in the middle after quarter time and also had a hit to the nose which bled for a while. He is a wholehearted player he gives you everything in the Luke Ball mould (without being anywhere near as good). Solid right foot disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I randomly put $100 on bendigo to win the VFL at 86-1.
Any ideas how they will go this year?

I was going to ask this exact question - it seems like there is a fair bit of improvement to be had at Bendigo this year. With no current injuries, there is some talented blokes running around in the Magoos!

Re: Reveiw of Bendigo v Casey

Did anyone here go today? Interested to see how the Melbourne listed players went, I think Watts played a half?

Haha I just pulled all of those stats from the preverbial :D

Watts did play and as was mentioned he was #60. He played a little more than half of the TOG throughout each quarter. Look he didn't stand out much but then then quality of ball going into the forward 50 was rubbish most of the day.

He doesn't look to have bulked up much and his skills weren't too flash but when you have missed as much footy as he has you would expect as much. He did look happy though which is a good sign for you guys.

I was going to ask this exact question - it seems like there is a fair bit of improvement to be had at Bendigo this year. With no current injuries, there is some talented blokes running around in the Magoos!

The only thing is that we haven't really seen many of the Bendigo listed players apart from Cloke, Skipworth etc. With the limits placed on the number of Essendon players I'm not sure how they will match up.

i wish the coaching staff would wake up and play myers in midfield. we may need to start a petition...

I agree with you. I'm seriously confused about what is happening with Myers. They talk about him as a midfield in the media (Knights has mentioned this a few times), but then play him exclusively in the back line.

His long left foot could be an asset for us in the backline but I just think his ability to win the hard ball is something that we are screaming out for.

I agree with you. I'm seriously confused about what is happening with Myers. They talk about him as a midfield in the media (Knights has mentioned this a few times), but then play him exclusively in the back line.

His long left foot could be an asset for us in the backline but I just think his ability to win the hard ball is something that we are screaming out for.
Make that three.

I think his kicking is solid while overrated, and his clearance work is outstanding and somewhat underrated. To me, he's a clearance midfielder; play him there, Knights.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Game Day Bendigo 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back