VFL Game Day Bendigo 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the final lists are in it is time to start the Bendigo 2010 thread.
Of course we all will know that Cloke has been signed and Skippy will be a playing assistant.

What now ? There has been talk about recruiting a few more strong bodied players and also a push for players who have missed out on being drafted this year but there is one thing to consider.
How do they all fit in ?
With the extra rookies this year we have a final list of 46. Add to that Cloke, Flaherty and Skipworth and we have 49. So 22 playing seniors leaves 27 players to fill 22 spots if there are no injuries.
Now there is no way we will go through the year with no injuries. There will always be up to 5 players on the sidelines which would still leave 22 to pick from.
Now there will be a 20 to 25 player Bendio squad which will be made up of players mainly under 22 who will play for their local club when not needed which provides the depth (albeit maybe not overly strong). This group will include players from Bendigo Pioneers and possibly Murray Bushrangers that where not drafted and maybe a couple of the 18 year olds from last year.

This leaves us with what will be the Melbourne squad and the question of how many will they recruit. Given the fact that if most of the Essendon squad is available these guys will have to play Metro footy on match permits (simialr to what has happened with Geelong in the past) i begin to wonder how attractive it may be.
It will almost certainly rule out picking up the likes of a Serhat Temel or any other young 18 year olds that hwere not drafted unless they want to move to Bendigo and participate in that squad.
Maybe they will attract a couple of others that are willing to go down that path but i do not see any more than maybe another 2 VFL quality players coming on board.

I have to say that maybe dumping the reserves despite it being a total shambles was a bit premature given one reason it was dumped was to be able to pay more dollars for VFL quality players. It would seem the extra two rookies and Essendons policy this year of picking proven VFL/WAFL players in the rookie draft did more to save money for Bendigo and also added 4 VFL quality players.
I guess one could argue that playing first division EDFL or EFL or whatever would be preferable to playing VFL reserves considering Bendigo ressies lost by over 100 most weeks .

The real curly one could be when an AFL listed player returning from a long time injury has to play Metro footy first up to gain fitness. It can still be done on match permits but it will be a first even though it is highly unlikely.
If Bendigo recruit another 4 or 5 players to go with what is already signed then there is a chance that some of them will certainly be playing Metro footy or Bendigo Leauge somewhere.

It is like Bendigo is a defacto stand alone side for Essendon.

Geelong and Collingwood stand alone sides must have players who step out for their local club, and saddle up for the Geelong and Collingwood VFL sides when needed.

Without knowing the full story - These two clubs seem to have no significant problems.

Didn't Geelong, Rookie one of their top up players ?

It is like Bendigo is a defacto stand alone side for Essendon.

Geelong and Collingwood stand alone sides must have players who step out for their local club and saddle up for the Geelong and Collingwood VFL sides when needed.

Without knowing the full story - These two clubs seem to have no significant problems.

Didn't Geelong, Rookie one of their top up players.

Geelong have had 3 or 4 of their VFL players play local footy around Geelong at various times. Collingwood have not as of yet but they do have a sup list of young blokes who played with East Burwood in div 1 EFL when not required.
So far with the smaller lists and the regular injury pattern it has not shown up. Now with the clubs having 2 or 3 extra rookies there will be more of it for Collingwood, Geelong and Essendon if the injury rate is low.

I was no saying it was a problem, i was simply saying i doubt we will attarct 7 or 8 quality VFL players like a few where thinking we would/may.
We also may struggle to attract any Melbourne based kids not drafted as i am sure they will much rather play VFL reserves for someone rather than Metro footy. That being said Collingwood have attracted the likes of Brad Jones from Rangers and Jamie Sheahan from the Bushrangers as sup listed players.
I would suspect the likes of Temel would simply have a crack at Coburg if they where keen to go on with it.

Geelong have had 3 or 4 of their VFL players play local footy around Geelong at various times. Collingwood have not as of yet but they do have a sup list of young blokes who played with East Burwood in div 1 EFL when not required.
So far with the smaller lists and the regular injury pattern it has not shown up. Now with the clubs having 2 or 3 extra rookies there will be more of it for Collingwood, Geelong and Essendon if the injury rate is low.

I was no saying it was a problem, i was simply saying i doubt we will attarct 7 or 8 quality VFL players like a few where thinking we would/may.
We also may struggle to attract any Melbourne based kids not drafted as i am sure they will much rather play VFL reserves for someone rather than Metro footy. That being said Collingwood have attracted the likes of Brad Jones from Rangers and Jamie Sheahan from the Bushrangers as sup listed players.
I would suspect the likes of Temel would simply have a crack at Coburg if they where keen to go on with it.

I agree with your sentiments.

Geelong does have the knack of picking up youngish players from the Western Districts and Ballarat areas which helps them no end.

Bendigo could sneak into the eight in 2010 if the TALLS stand up - as you think they would have a competitive midfield and flankers.

Ugh. Bendigo. It just makes me vomit a little every time I hear that name. Hopefully Robson is targeting an exit out of that dustpan of a town as much as an exit out of Etihad.

I feel for guys like Hardingham if they don't get much game time this season that they'll be playing in a league vastly inferior to the WAFL. Same with any SANFL players.

Pretty sure Collingwood have some sort of arrangement with Old Trinity since that's where the Walsh family of CEO Geoff Walsh are playing ...

Only seen one or two Collingwood linked players down there though.

Surely young Pioneers guns Shane Page and Kallan Geary (who were unlucky not to get drafted) will be straight onto the Bendigo list for 2010.

Having Cloke, Skipworth and even Marigliani(yes he is an Ess rookie) makes the depth of Bendigo look better already. Less injuries will also help.

Or not...

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/general/geary-joins-sandy/1741865.aspx

The local kids don't want to stay there and it's hard to get experienced guys to go there.

Its hardly a surprise that Geary chose to go to Sandy. Most kids from the country second option if not drafted would be to go to Melbourne to study. That paired with the fact that his brother is already at the club would not help Bendigo talk him into staying.

I spoke to a someone close to Bendigo this year who previously been at another VFL club and they said that the squad training at Bendigo was very young and light this season. He said that the remaining spots in the BB side would most likely be filled by the Melbourne based players.

Some sort of intra club match at Windy Hill on Friday arvo - I believe. May see some of the potential list?

Anyone watch this game? apparently Hille, Laycock and Myers all played. it would be good to hear how they went if anyone can shed some light on the game. cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know which of the 2009 Bendigo list are staying??

I know of Bowe and Weekley that have moved on.
neither of them big losses considering BB have no reserves. I know Flaherty is staying, we've signed Jason Cloke, Skippy's playing, and Serhat Tehmel. We also signed that Pioneer that didn't get drafted (not Geary, the other one)

Bendigo 15.15 (105) to Richmond 2.11 (23).

Some positive signs there.
Bendigo need a winning culture and this has given them a taste of it. They haven't seen a win on the board for a while so hopefully this will get them pumped up and we can possibly see some wins this season :D

Here is quick look at the Bendigo Bombers list for 2010. With 21 spots available on the list, 18 have been filled. The three remaining spots will be filled within the next fortnight. Some old faces have returned whilst some exciting talent has been recruited and we welcome them to the Club. Below the names of the 18 players listed so far. (in no particular order)

1. Hayden Skipworth (27) - returning to Bendigo from Essendon. Quality midfielder, whose experience and leadership will be welcomed by the young 2010 Bendigo Bombers.

2. Jason Cloke (27) - returning to Bendigo from Williamstown. Flexible player who can fulfill roles both defensively and offensively.

3. James Flaherty (23 - c) - James continues in his third year as captain and fourth year with the club. His leadership continues to strengthen and he will be looking to build on 2009 which earned him 2009 VFL team of the year selection at Full Back.

4. Trent Shinners (21) - recruited from Frankston Dolphins. Quality defender adding strength to the Bendigo back line.

5. Paul Scanlon (32) - 2009 Bendigo Bombers senior Best & Fairest returns for another VFL season. Able to fulfill a variety of roles.

6. Sam Wood (19) - recruited from Spotswood. A young quality midfielder who has impressed everyone early at training and intra club matches.

7. Shane Page (18) - recruited from the Bendigo Pioneers (Kyneton Football Club), Shane made an impression in his two games with the Bendigo Bombers as 23rd player in 2009. Another quality midfielder who reads the play well and has excellent disposal.

8. Blair Holmes (20) - Commencing his third year with the Bendigo Bombers, Blair originates from the Bendigo Pioneers (Sandhurst Football Club). had an excellent 2008 where he received the best first year player award. Can play both defensive and midfield roles.

9. James Bristow (21) - In his third year with the Bendigo Bombers and ready to step up. Good size player who can play up forward and down the back.

10. Ben Duscher (22) - returning to the Bendigo Bombers from Rochester. Ben, a former Bendigo Pioneer, is known for his hardness at the ball and competitiveness. Can play a variety of positions.

11. Brad Collins (21) - recruited from Rochester, tall who can play both offensively and defensively

12. Lachlan Delahunty (19) - in his second year with the Bendigo Bombers, Lachlan made in impression in 2009 playing mostly senior football in hist first year in the VFL. A tall player who can play both offensively and defensively.

13. Robbie Hudson (23) - recruited from West Coburg. Lightning quick, small forward who finds the goals.

14. Serhat Temel (18) - recruited from 2009 TAC cup Premiers Calder Cannons. Tall forward with very good hands and excellent goal kicking ability.

15. Jacob Thompson (18) - recruited from 2009 TAC cup Premiers Calder Cannons. Jacob captained the 2009 Calder Cannons and is a very smart footballer. A forward who rarely wastes a disposal.

16. Matthew Ladson (18) - recruited from the Bendigo Pioneers (Kerang Football Club), smallish midlfieder.

17.Michael James (26) - recruited from Keilor, tall forward who can do damage in the forward 50.

18. Jack Redpath (19) - in his second year with the Bendigo Bombers after finsihing 2009 midway through the season with a knee injury. Tall, strongly build forward who is expected to make his mark in 2010.

Flaherty good choice as skipper, and looks a very good list so far. Just want 1 more ruckman in there

Christian Bock
Jason Laycock
David Hille
Paddy Ryder

Hooker perhaps..

Some good ruckmen at Essendon, I know what you mean though. I get a feeling that we (Bendigo) are going to try and find a Mitch Clark in their, a tall athletic KPP who is able to play ruck (James Bristow?, Jack Redpath?).

Here is quick look at the Bendigo Bombers list for 2010. With 21 spots available on the list, 18 have been filled. The three remaining spots will be filled within the next fortnight. Some old faces have returned whilst some exciting talent has been recruited and we welcome them to the Club. Below the names of the 18 players listed so far. (in no particular order)

1. Hayden Skipworth (27) - returning to Bendigo from Essendon. Quality midfielder, whose experience and leadership will be welcomed by the young 2010 Bendigo Bombers.

2. Jason Cloke (27) - returning to Bendigo from Williamstown. Flexible player who can fulfill roles both defensively and offensively.

3. James Flaherty (23 - c) - James continues in his third year as captain and fourth year with the club. His leadership continues to strengthen and he will be looking to build on 2009 which earned him 2009 VFL team of the year selection at Full Back.

4. Trent Shinners (21) - recruited from Frankston Dolphins. Quality defender adding strength to the Bendigo back line.

5. Paul Scanlon (32) - 2009 Bendigo Bombers senior Best & Fairest returns for another VFL season. Able to fulfill a variety of roles.

6. Sam Wood (19) - recruited from Spotswood. A young quality midfielder who has impressed everyone early at training and intra club matches.

7. Shane Page (18) - recruited from the Bendigo Pioneers (Kyneton Football Club), Shane made an impression in his two games with the Bendigo Bombers as 23rd player in 2009. Another quality midfielder who reads the play well and has excellent disposal.

8. Blair Holmes (20) - Commencing his third year with the Bendigo Bombers, Blair originates from the Bendigo Pioneers (Sandhurst Football Club). had an excellent 2008 where he received the best first year player award. Can play both defensive and midfield roles.

9. James Bristow (21) - In his third year with the Bendigo Bombers and ready to step up. Good size player who can play up forward and down the back.

10. Ben Duscher (22) - returning to the Bendigo Bombers from Rochester. Ben, a former Bendigo Pioneer, is known for his hardness at the ball and competitiveness. Can play a variety of positions.

11. Brad Collins (21) - recruited from Rochester, tall who can play both offensively and defensively

12. Lachlan Delahunty (19) - in his second year with the Bendigo Bombers, Lachlan made in impression in 2009 playing mostly senior football in hist first year in the VFL. A tall player who can play both offensively and defensively.

13. Robbie Hudson (23) - recruited from West Coburg. Lightning quick, small forward who finds the goals.

14. Serhat Temel (18) - recruited from 2009 TAC cup Premiers Calder Cannons. Tall forward with very good hands and excellent goal kicking ability.

15. Jacob Thompson (18) - recruited from 2009 TAC cup Premiers Calder Cannons. Jacob captained the 2009 Calder Cannons and is a very smart footballer. A forward who rarely wastes a disposal.

16. Matthew Ladson (18) - recruited from the Bendigo Pioneers (Kerang Football Club), smallish midlfieder.

17.Michael James (26) - recruited from Keilor, tall forward who can do damage in the forward 50.

18. Jack Redpath (19) - in his second year with the Bendigo Bombers after finsihing 2009 midway through the season with a knee injury. Tall, strongly build forward who is expected to make his mark in 2010.

Thanks

Looks like another forum liked your report.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Game Day Bendigo 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back