Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If the afl were fair dinkum about umpiring, they'd pay them out of their pocket, 600 a game for seniors, 250 for ressies, 150 for thirds, 300 senior goals and boundary
That's $2200 per game mate. Multiply that by 5 or 6 then you are looking at 11-12K a round. Nearly 200k for the year and that's not including finals. Not sure how sustainable that would be around the state. I agree umpires should be paid well but they need more resources and training IMO.

If the afl were fair dinkum about umpiring, they'd pay them out of their pocket, 600 a game for seniors, 250 for ressies, 150 for thirds, 300 senior goals and boundary
If this is paid in cash let me know once it’s approved I’ll be spending the next few months losing 20 kilograms and getting myself fit to do 3 games a week though I’ll need every second week off to recover

Well I reckon the afl needs to pay up, otherwise there will be no umps, you'd already get more interest from ex players to do it, it's still small in the scheme of things when the nully president walks around with 25k in his back pocket for player payments each home game, and that's just one club

Well I reckon the afl needs to pay up, otherwise there will be no umps, you'd already get more interest from ex players to do it, it's still small in the scheme of things when the nully president walks around with 25k in his back pocket for player payments each home game, and that's just one club
He couldnt get Birchips wheelbarrow

Not really comparing like for like, most jobs don’t have a recreational component to them either. Compare the pay to other community sport umpires and it is far superior.

Ridiculous if umpires arrive 2 and a half hours before the game, especially in today’s era of paperwork being done online.
The ‘recreational’ side of it gets taken out of it, when they cop what they cop. If I rocked up to work and dished some of the shit that gets dished out, I’d be sacked. Conversely if I went to work, and was receiving the abuse, I’d be allowed to sue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stated he was a poor appointment when the decision was made. It ended in tears as I expected.
What happened to a club that nearly beat Sandhurst on the QEO in the opening round and defeated Eaglehawk earlier in the season?
Why have the wheels completely come off?

It is really disappointing as at one stage they were just outside the five and at that time breathing much needed fresh air and interest into the BFNL.

We despair about Castlemaine and Maryborough, but Flat have also been down for a long time. These struggling clubs have a habit is continually replacing their coaches. Castlemaine and Maryborough are guilty of this and need to stick with their existing well respected coaches and slowly build some depth. I think the trap for a bottom club starved of success (in any competition) is the appointment of a coach who promises to bring in players with him which would be appealing to a committee, but rarely works in practice.

Having said all that, with the extent of struggling clubs and clubs wanting to change competitions, I think now is the time for a larger relegation competition for football in central Victoria. It would be good to see clubs like Golden Square and Rochester playing one another again. I don't mean in the Bendigo league. I mean in an elite division 1 competition. If this cannot work at least the BFNL, Heathcote and Loddon Valley leagues should be combined into two divisions where struggling teams like Maryborough get a chance to catch their breath in a lower division. The team winning the premiership in the lower division could then go into the higher division the following season with some momentum including a solid supporter base.

Why should the AFL pay up Trent?

if they want to take over footy around the state(they are in charge of every country league other than picola), then when the welfare of the game is on the line, its their responsibility to do something about it, they need to get people into umpiring for all grades, by paying them a half decent wage allows that, gets better people involved in umpiring across the state across all levels.

We see needless money wasted on the TAC cup, for 1-2 guys to get drafted per team, that dont have a APS scholarship, why not put some money into umpiring and restructuring leagues and providing better pathways than the TAC cup, which is an outdated system

What happened to a club that nearly beat Sandhurst on the QEO in the opening round and defeated Eaglehawk earlier in the season?

It is really disappointing as at one stage they were just outside the five and at that time breathing much needed fresh air and interest into the BFNL.

We despair about Castlemaine and Maryborough, but Flat have also been down for a long time. These struggling clubs have a habit is continually replacing their coaches. Castlemaine and Maryborough are guilty of this and need to stick with their existing well respected coaches and slowly build some depth. I think the trap for a bottom club starved of success (in any competition) is the appointment of a coach who promises to bring in players with him which would be appealing to a committee, but rarely works in practice.

Having said all that, with the extent of struggling clubs and clubs wanting to change competitions, I think now is the time for a larger relegation competition for football in central Victoria. It would be good to see clubs like Golden Square and Rochester playing one another again. I don't mean in the Bendigo league. I mean in an elite division 1 competition. If this cannot work at least the BFNL, Heathcote and Loddon Valley leagues should be combined into two divisions where struggling teams like Maryborough get a chance to catch their breath in a lower division. The team winning the premiership in the lower division could then go into the higher division the following season with some momentum including a solid supporter base.
they have fallen off the cliff after the first half against storm, where they were 4-5 goals down. They need to go after Darren Walsh as senior coach for next year

The problem is it is very hard to attract candidates to take those jobs at struggling and the ones you can attract are often not ideal and therefore don’t last long.

You are spot on that the root cause of it is the lack of equalisation in the leagues and the region. They need to either use the tools they have like player points more effectively or do something as you suggest with a restructured competition.

It’s so obvious and yet there’s nothing happening. I have heard whispers there is something happening in the background around a AFL CV competition with divisions replacing the existing leagues but even if it is announced tomorrow for discussion it will be a long time before it is actually introduced.

Probably 25 years ago, a good player would see it as a challenge to try get the best out of flat, guys now want instant success now and would rather go to a top team. Flat must have plenty of money a d they'll save more with no more patton. What an opportunity for any perspective coaches out there would be my advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back