Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Forest just a query, why is Blake and the Denahys at Gissy, wernt they Maine juniors? Is Blake the son of Michael?

Yes he is, I don’t know the exact reasons but I’d guess it’s been covered in the recent chats. Bit of glory hunting and a bit of hubris would be my guess.

Do you think you would be given the green light by AFL if your move was to be to the detriment of the BFL, this applies for any side wishing to leave. If Maiden Gully had trouble getting in. I see getting out harder.

Can’t see how they could let Kyneton go without hesitation and not do the same for Castlemaine.

I’d never really warmed to it but I read a post in the Riddell forum pointing out the benefits of a move that really struck a cord with me.

I think a move there would be great, ticks a lot of boxes and to renew the rivalry with Kyneton would be great for both clubs.

I’ve come full circle from not entertaining the idea to actively hoping we make the move asap.
A decent drive to Melton and Wallan, lucky it would only be once a year. I'd love to see Maine in RDFL if they can't stay in the BFNL. Over the next few years I'm hopeful we will see Gis Giants, Melton Sth, Sunbury Kangas join and hopefully Castlemaine.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

When we played them one of the Golden Square blokes told me a couple of clubs wanted to sign him as one of those rookies from outside footy pathways but he knocked them back.
Suspect (and only guessing) he may feel he needs to prove himself in the BFNL first. I think he is worth taking a chance on in an interleague game just to get a glimpse of his potential.

Yes he is, I don’t know the exact reasons but I’d guess it’s been covered in the recent chats. Bit of glory hunting and a bit of hubris would be my guess.

Can’t see how they could let Kyneton go without hesitation and not do the same for Castlemaine.
IF and its purely hypothetical, Flat and Gissy want a move, Maryborough moves/disappears in its current form I think this forces the BFL board/AFLVIC into action on the viability of the BFL. Some may not agree but bring it on, at least know what the future holds.

IF and its purely hypothetical, Flat and Gissy want a move, Maryborough moves/disappears in its current form I think this forces the BFL board/AFLVIC into action on the viability of the BFL. Some may not agree but bring it on, at least know what the future holds.

If someone is going to have to pay for the mess they’ve created I’d say it will be Flat and or Gisborne.

Both their cases for leaving would be well trumped by Castlemaine I think.

If someone is going to have to pay for the mess they’ve created I’d say it will be Flat and or Gisborne.

Both their cases for leaving would be well trumped by Castlemaine I think.
Not going to be Flat or Gissys problem if they moved instead of looking at this through your black and white glasses as to how it effects Maine Im more interested in what happens to the rest.

surely the people entrsuted in overlooking the health of bendigo football aren't sitting back silently with the knowledge they could potentially have a comp of anywhere from 5 to 7 teams in 2025 or even worse clubs remaining against their wishes. what a mess.
Isnt the thought of a 4 or 5 team league(ex MAJOR league) a mouth watering prospect. NCFL/HDFL teams would be rubbing their hands together. Much easier to recruit almost locally than from metro.

Last edited:
Isnt the thought of a 4 or 5 team league(ex MAJOR league) a mouth watering prospect. NCFL/HDFL teams would be rubbing their hands together. Much easier to recruit almost locally than from metro.
Unless the afl tries for a state wide comp, finals sides in Bendigo Ballarat and Geelong play in one division, non finals div 2 or to minor leagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bit more of a look into interchange reduction in AFL CV Hub leagues;

Reduce BFL, HDFL, LVFL, CMFL and GRFL from 22 to 21 per team

(Actually can't believe NCFL is only comp in the hub with 21).

Above move alone would release (from senior grades only) 40 players. That is 2 extra senior teams filled in the hub that extra interchange spot.

Extend that to the reserves......

Had a bit more of a look into interchange reduction in AFL CV Hub leagues;

Reduce BFL, HDFL, LVFL, CMFL and GRFL from 22 to 21 per team

(Actually can't believe NCFL is only comp in the hub with 21).

Above move alone would release (from senior grades only) 40 players. That is 2 extra senior teams filled in the hub that extra interchange spot.

Extend that to the reserves......
I don’t mind this but it most likely would be less u18’s doubling up in reserves.

floating the idea of a prison club is super interesting but i'd wager it'd be a logitstical nightmare to keep some of the sketchier ones from doing something dodge.

from memory, i can recall a couple of times early in the 2000s where kevin sheedy and the bombers either player (or most likley attended) a VFL game being played at the QEO, which i think did wonders for a lot of the younger people (like me) who started playing football a few years down the track.

it's like 1.5 hours to get to bendigo from melbourne, closer for cmaine and longer for maryborough, but the AFL really should heavily encourage players to actually go and support local rural communities during the off season (or even during the midseason bye).

it's still very unsurprising that the league is crumbling, overall

Ms McKinstry having a crack at “keyboard warriors” for spreading rumours about clubs and the league
Well that at least shows she can speak now just need something meaningful to follow. What do they expect if they dont show leadership and keep the public in the loop instead of the dark. If she cant handle the pressure perhaps she needs to reacess her position.

Enough is enough: BFNL's bid to stop damaging rumours and speculation

By Adam Bourke

The Bendigo Football Netball League has moved to dispel what it describes as damaging rumours and speculation being spread about the future of its clubs.

Speculation about the futures of Maryborough, Gisborne and Kangaroo Flat in the Bendigo league intensified, largely on social media, over the weekend.

BFNL chair Carol McKinstry said the mistruths being spread by keyboard warriors and some members of the media were disappointing and had the potential to hinder the relationships and hard work of clubs and volunteers.

"Poor Gisborne president John Wood is being constantly hounded by people suggesting they're moving to Ballarat,'' McKinstry said.

"His reply is categorically 'no'. If they had a change of mind we'd be the first to know. Gisborne is very happy in our league.

"People have totally misinterpreted what (Kangaroo Flat president) Leigh Bailey and his committee are doing. That's not about leaving our league (to play in the Heathcote District FNL).

"Talk about us as a board helping Maryborough and Castlemaine, well we extend the same sort of support to all clubs in our league.

"Maryborough continues to work through its situation and we'll continue to support the club as much as we can."

BFNL TAKES A STAND ON SOCIAL MEDIA RUMOURS
So disgusted with the spread of speculation about its clubs, the BFNL released the following public statement on Tuesday:

"It has come to our attention that there are circulating rumours regarding the future of club affiliation within the Bendigo Football Netball League,'' the statement said.

"The BFNL would like to take this opportunity to clarify and dispel any misconceptions currently circulating regarding the affiliation status of any current BFNL clubs for season 2025.

"Acknowledging the Maryborough Football Netball Club are currently undertaking a transparent, robust, and consultative sustainability review of the club, any other current affiliation speculation regarding BFNL clubs is ill-informed, disappointing, and seems derived from opinion or presumption across a range of media platforms, including social media.

"Whilst the BFNL acknowledge some uncertainty remains regarding the ongoing MFNC member engagement process, it is important to note that dependant on the outcome and recommendations, 2025 affiliation with the BFNL remains a feasible option. The BFNL remain fully committed to support the MFNC regardless of the outcome of their member engagement process.

"The BFNL prioritise accuracy in all our communications and felt the importance of addressing and dismissing all current speculation promptly to maintain trust within our community.

"The BFNL will continue to support all clubs and are committed to providing clear and reliable information to the football and netball community across our region as deemed appropriate."

McKinstry said the constant speculation was unfair to the people who give up their time to run clubs.

"These people are volunteers. The BFNL board are volunteers, the club presidents and committee members are volunteers and I think people forget that,'' McKinstry said.

"If these people (who spread rumours) want to do something positive they can trot along to their local football/netball club and offer to roll up their sleeves and contribute.

"Having community support behind clubs and volunteers means so much to them.

"These club presidents and committees are under so much pressure sometimes and we need to think about their wellbeing."

McKinstry said the BFNL board continued to work hard to retain and attract clubs to the league.

"We're working behind the scenes, but there is sensitivity around what we're doing,'' McKinstry said.

"We've been open with our strategic plan and we've always said we want a 10-club league and we haven't been sitting on our hands. We've been talking to other clubs, but those clubs are not going to make snap decisions. They have to work through their processes and some of those processes are sensitive, so we're not going to share that with all and sundry and put in jeopardy that good work."

Enough is enough: BFNL's bid to stop damaging rumours and speculation

By Adam Bourke

The Bendigo Football Netball League has moved to dispel what it describes as damaging rumours and speculation being spread about the future of its clubs.

Speculation about the futures of Maryborough, Gisborne and Kangaroo Flat in the Bendigo league intensified, largely on social media, over the weekend.

BFNL chair Carol McKinstry said the mistruths being spread by keyboard warriors and some members of the media were disappointing and had the potential to hinder the relationships and hard work of clubs and volunteers.

"Poor Gisborne president John Wood is being constantly hounded by people suggesting they're moving to Ballarat,'' McKinstry said.

"His reply is categorically 'no'. If they had a change of mind we'd be the first to know. Gisborne is very happy in our league.

"People have totally misinterpreted what (Kangaroo Flat president) Leigh Bailey and his committee are doing. That's not about leaving our league (to play in the Heathcote District FNL).

"Talk about us as a board helping Maryborough and Castlemaine, well we extend the same sort of support to all clubs in our league.

"Maryborough continues to work through its situation and we'll continue to support the club as much as we can."

BFNL TAKES A STAND ON SOCIAL MEDIA RUMOURS
So disgusted with the spread of speculation about its clubs, the BFNL released the following public statement on Tuesday:

"It has come to our attention that there are circulating rumours regarding the future of club affiliation within the Bendigo Football Netball League,'' the statement said.

"The BFNL would like to take this opportunity to clarify and dispel any misconceptions currently circulating regarding the affiliation status of any current BFNL clubs for season 2025.

"Acknowledging the Maryborough Football Netball Club are currently undertaking a transparent, robust, and consultative sustainability review of the club, any other current affiliation speculation regarding BFNL clubs is ill-informed, disappointing, and seems derived from opinion or presumption across a range of media platforms, including social media.

"Whilst the BFNL acknowledge some uncertainty remains regarding the ongoing MFNC member engagement process, it is important to note that dependant on the outcome and recommendations, 2025 affiliation with the BFNL remains a feasible option. The BFNL remain fully committed to support the MFNC regardless of the outcome of their member engagement process.

"The BFNL prioritise accuracy in all our communications and felt the importance of addressing and dismissing all current speculation promptly to maintain trust within our community.

"The BFNL will continue to support all clubs and are committed to providing clear and reliable information to the football and netball community across our region as deemed appropriate."

McKinstry said the constant speculation was unfair to the people who give up their time to run clubs.

"These people are volunteers. The BFNL board are volunteers, the club presidents and committee members are volunteers and I think people forget that,'' McKinstry said.

"If these people (who spread rumours) want to do something positive they can trot along to their local football/netball club and offer to roll up their sleeves and contribute.

"Having community support behind clubs and volunteers means so much to them.

"These club presidents and committees are under so much pressure sometimes and we need to think about their wellbeing."

McKinstry said the BFNL board continued to work hard to retain and attract clubs to the league.

"We're working behind the scenes, but there is sensitivity around what we're doing,'' McKinstry said.

"We've been open with our strategic plan and we've always said we want a 10-club league and we haven't been sitting on our hands. We've been talking to other clubs, but those clubs are not going to make snap decisions. They have to work through their processes and some of those processes are sensitive, so we're not going to share that with all and sundry and put in jeopardy that good work."

Looks like the kitchen is getting too hot ! Can’t wait for the solutions to be announced. A BFNL meeting is planned for Thursday apparently

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back