• offer of salary cap relief
  • offer of points relief to continue with bfnl

- offer to wave fees for 3 years until they are back on track

- offer to play lighting premiership in Maryborough start of 2025

- offer to run junior coaching clinic over the summer

- offer to assist with recruiting a high profile white knight

That’s a start Roota

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Offer to find the 20/25 open age players with some quality to at least compete that are not available in the Maryborough area.
Offer to grab the best of the quality from Natte and Carisbrook which are well administered clubs.
Offer to top the balance of players needed to complete to the task by raiding Dunolly Avoca and the newly merged Giants and effectively destroy those clubs as well.
Sorry but….
Merge Merge Merge wake up.

What? Some lip service and support... that's not going to alleviate the problems being faced by several clubs in the BNFL.
Since you're across it all, what support have they offered Maryborough and what would you like them to do for them and those other clubs facing problems?

Since you're across it all, what support have they offered Maryborough and what would you like them to do for them and those other clubs facing problems?
You can't tell me there is a massive gorge between the top and bottom teams. It has been happening for the best part of 20 years. The league is more predictable than it has ever been. Also, there are whispers on a development in regard to what the BFNL may look like in 2025. Stay tuned.

You can't tell me there is a massive gorge between the top and bottom teams. It has been happening for the best part of 20 years. The league is more predictable than it has ever been. Also, there are whispers on a development in regard to what the BFNL may look like in 2025. Stay tuned.

Tell us what the development is? You know so tell?

It’s not just a central vic issue

Answer the question.
Again, what support have they offered Maryborough and what would you like them to do for them and those other clubs facing problems?

Something would be nice

• offer of salary cap relief
  • offer of points relief to continue with bfnl

- offer to wave fees for 3 years until they are back on track

- offer to play lighting premiership in Maryborough start of 2025

- offer to run junior coaching clinic over the summer

- offer to assist with recruiting a high profile white knight

That’s a start Roota

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Financially they keep saying they are fine obviously who wouldn’t say no to some more help.

Answer the question.
Again, what support have they offered Maryborough and what would you like them to do for them and those other clubs facing problems?
I have no idea what they are doing (apart from what's been said in the local rag). What's your solution? I'm just another casual observer of the once-great BFNL.

I'd hope there's an afl practice game in maryborough next year, the ground would come up a treat I'd think. Have Collingwood do their community camp there for 2 weeks and try get a monthly pies school visit to get the kids playing should be number 1 priority in 2025.

Most of the top mcdfl teams this year have 4 or 5 maryborough 1 point players in them. If these guys go back, maryborough aren't magically a finals side either. Although you add bond and Crameri then they look okay. It's about sustaining this though. The clubs got 15 players. I'd still get a game in the guts next week for them .

I'm not sure the mcdfl is in great shape, there needs to be 3 or 4 mergers in place in the future as the numbers are spread thin over all clubs in that region

I'd hope there's an afl practice game in maryborough next year, the ground would come up a treat I'd think. Have Collingwood do their community camp there for 2 weeks and try get a monthly pies school visit to get the kids playing should be number 1 priority in 2025.

Most of the top mcdfl teams this year have 4 or 5 maryborough 1 point players in them. If these guys go back, maryborough aren't magically a finals side either. Although you add bond and Crameri then they look okay. It's about sustaining this though. The clubs got 15 players. I'd still get a game in the guts next week for them .

I'm not sure the mcdfl is in great shape, there needs to be 3 or 4 mergers in place in the future as the numbers are spread thin over all clubs in that region

Still cricket played at princess park so no AFL practice match will be played there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still cricket played at princess park so no AFL practice match will be played there
Bugger, it'd be good to see something do to reinvigorate people to connect with the sport in the area.
You have the Melb Storm going to Geelong & Ballarat, it's a shame more isn't done from the higher level to connect with the grassroots levels of the sport - particularly those regions doing it particularly tough.

Zero chance of afl Practice match at Maryborough the ground/facilities in general are no where near where they need to be for AFL game. Boundary to close to fence for one and the gutters. A game is out of the question a training session would be the most on field action you’d get but that would still be of value.

Good point - it is just not a Central Vic issue. What about the AFL providing one off grants to clubs like Maryborough, Corowa, Benalla last year and so on. Also help with facilities and other support. Look at the entire health of country football. Millions $$$ come in through TV rights and the likes. We are only talking about using a fraction of that amount.

I am not talking about a permanent arrangement. Just giving these struggling winless clubs a bit of a kick start and at then at the day they have to survive on their own, merge or move to a less demanding competition. I also agree with others that clubs should not be voting on who can come into their competition. The whole purpose of an administration is to make administrative decisions. This does not mean clubs cannot express their views - they just should not have the final say.

Good to read all the thoughts about Maryborough FNC. An update on the happenings are,

• Discussions with the MCDFNL are continuing.
  • Discussions continue with other potential options for the club.
  • Nothing had been confirmed as yet on the future of the club as we will be going to our members to determine what direction the club takes for 2025 and beyond.
  • As said previously we are undertaking a thorough process to be able to present our members all information so they can make a well informed decision.
  • One of the challenges for football around Maryborough has been the overlap between the 2 regional hubs, namely AFL Goldfields and AFL Central Victoria. Whilst they work together they often have different agendas/ views about football and that is understandable. The challenge is having them work collaboratively for the betterment of football in the area.
  • Many clubs in the MCDFNL are facing difficult times too. Struggling for players, volunteers and support as I have mentioned previously. This is no different to many other surrounding leagues such as Loddon Valley FNL.
  • An AFL practice game could be played at Princes Park although it’s unlikely as the AFL prefers to play fixtures in Melbourne or larger regional centres these days. Maybe that’s a sign of the AFL and their disconnection from community football. There have been discussions with the cricket association previously about this if the opportunity presented itself and it was supported by all concerned.
  • Whilst our senior football results are not good, our netball and juniors are going really well, our volunteer numbers and support remains strong and the club has excellent sponsorship and is financial.

My final comment is about those who just say wind the club up. How would you feel if you had a club that was 150 years old and you saw it as your club/home? Would you just say let’s end it and not try and get the best outcome with the club hopefully being able to continue. This is the most responsible and appropriate response.

Was great to see the Local Footy Show up our way the other week. Their passion and interest for community football is second to none. It’s a terrific show and Daryl, Ian and Steve do a fantastic job.

A great interview with our club and Maryborough Giants which is available at,

As logical and sensible as the last couple of pages of ideas for Maryborough are, not one of them will make a lick of difference now.

They are exactly the sort of things that should have happened since the hubs were established but they have failed to do.

Good point - it is just not a Central Vic issue. What about the AFL providing one off grants to clubs like Maryborough, Corowa, Benalla last year and so on. Also help with facilities and other support. Look at the entire health of country football. Millions $$$ come in through TV rights and the likes. We are only talking about using a fraction of that amount.

I am not talking about a permanent arrangement. Just giving these struggling winless clubs a bit of a kick start and at then at the day they have to survive on their own, merge or move to a less demanding competition. I also agree with others that clubs should not be voting on who can come into their competition. The whole purpose of an administration is to make administrative decisions. This does not mean clubs cannot express their views - they just should not have the final say.
Yep agree and the afl could certainly help these areas. Surely Greg madigan comes back and says community camps next year at corowa, Maryborough, Benalla, Tatura etc. And play practise games there leading up to the season. There's a real disconnect between afl and community clubs even though the afl has the majority of leagues under their umbrella.

When do we see afl clubs now come up to the regions and do clinics? Surely as full time footballers it's not hard, surely they don't require that many team meetings

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back