Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They have trained together twice a week for years for those zero flags. I suppose they are trying something different.
I suppose it's the old argument of Development V Tean Success. Personally, team success develops players much better than the stand-alone development of individual players

Nobody has come close to him - not a hair on his arse

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
i remember the days when grant weeks dominated back in the early 2010s. has there been anyone like him since then? i stopped following when i moved to melbourne unfortunately.
Justin Maddern was around that time also. A very good player.

Sharps kicked some massive number of goals, pretty good effort for a guy under 6 foot without a thumping kick on him
one of my colleagues at work mentioned him when i said i was from bendigo! he seems like a genuine jet, so hopefully i hear more about him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are they numbers wise Vlodrive? Do they have the depth for seniors, reserves and under 18's and how do you see the overall health of the club?
I haven't got a clue what their numbers are like. I just go by what I see on Facebook and read on here. However the photos uploaded to their Facebook not long ago shows they have a decent amount of numbers at training. They've also recruited a couple of guys from Melbourne. Time will tell how they go this year. But I think it'll be a long year

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just had a look on their facebook page seems to have recruited so good players. Hope they go well this season, we need our country clubs to go well. Its about time the likes of Strath etc fell down the ladder.

Just had a look on their facebook page seems to have recruited so good players. Hope they go well this season, we need our country clubs to go well. Its about time the likes of Strath etc fell down the ladder.
Maybe if the standard across the league has dropped they might just be a bit more competitive than the last few years. That can only be good for their confidence, and that's what they need.

Maybe if the standard across the league has dropped they might just be a bit more competitive than the last few years. That can only be good for their confidence, and that's what they need.

If the points system was administered correctly they would get their chance. But unfortunately until it’s either scrapped or scaled uniformly the hidings will continue

How are Maryborough going?

The club is travelling as we planned with some solid recruiting of players with good character and the right intentions. We are not getting into bidding wars for higher priced players that are shopping themselves around as it’s not part of the long term plan to be sustainable. The club has money in the bank and sponsorship is again solid.

Numbers have been building over pre season and generally good. The club is on the right track. We won’t be competing for finals but will show progress as the year goes on. We have an exceptional group of young players that will need time and support from experienced players and we as a club have tried hard to recruit a few more. Am hoping we may have a couple more on board before the year commences. They will be the ‘right’ players which is exactly what we have been seeking.

Things are looking ok and personally I am happy with how things are coming along. A long road ahead still but some promise and potential is there with the playing group.

Maybe 30 or 35 points, but you still want clubs try lure ex afl players, and that's all clubs, we want a peter Curran type attracted back to the league, to coach straight out of the afl

Well if Albury / Wangaratta / Yarrawonga / Sandhurst / Ballarat / melton / Echuca etc don’t have the points then guess what !!! Those Peter currans etc go to the clubs who’s points can fit them in

Last edited:
Maybe 30 or 35 points, but you still want clubs try lure ex afl players, and that's all clubs, we want a peter Curran type attracted back to the league, to coach straight out of the afl

I think you are chasing rainbows there Trent.

How many times in modern times have ex AFL players come to Bendigo, with points or no points?

And how many times have they made an impact on the league in terms of crowds or buzz?

Milne? Mates with Wilson attracted him, nothing to do with the league. Geary was probably a one pointer anyway. Monfries? Barely caused a ripple.
Patton? Zantuck?

Any boost from guys like that is dwarfed by the benefits the league would get from a fair and even competition where every game wasn’t predictable.

I think you are chasing rainbows there Trent.

How many times in modern times have ex AFL players come to Bendigo, with points or no points?

And how many times have they made an impact on the league in terms of crowds or buzz?

Milne? Mates with Wilson attracted him, nothing to do with the league. Geary was probably a one pointer anyway. Monfries? Barely caused a ripple.
Patton? Zantuck?

Any boost from guys like that is dwarfed by the benefits the league would get from a fair and even competition where every game wasn’t predictable.
Could we go with a marquee player type situation... outside points and salary cap. 1 per team???

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back