Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent if Im correct your an ex South man. Is their future as bleak as it looks or is there a way back?

Lack of support was stark yesterday.

I know the weather was ordinary but was the smallest crowd of the season at the Camp by far and there were plenty of locals there.

I’m not sure you could have got to double figures counting South supporters watching the seniors. Maybe the radio being there was a factor though.

Lack of support was stark yesterday.

I know the weather was ordinary but was the smallest crowd of the season at the Camp by far and there were plenty of locals there.

I’m not sure you could have got to double figures counting South supporters watching the seniors. Maybe the radio being there was a factor though.
No different at their homes games too

Finals are played at Sandhurst’s home ground though. Should they be played at neutral grounds, or you happy to keep your own home ground advantage in September?

Finals are played at Sandhurst’s home ground though. Should they be played at neutral grounds, or you happy to keep your own home ground advantage in September?
I can only answer this with my personal opinion.

The main (large) obstacle to playing finals away from the QEO is this ground is head and shoulders above any other facility in the BFNL. I am talking playing surface, spectator facilities, facilities for the opposition team and even parking. The great players like Peter Moroni, Dereck Filo, Tony Southcombe, Ron Best etc thrived on this QEO. They never viewed South or Sandhurst as having any sort of home ground advantage. It was their stage. Other leagues have alternative ovals for finals. Ballarat and the Ovens & Murray are very good in this regard. The BFNL lags badly behind them.

However in an effort to freshen up the league I believe the early rounds of the finals could be moved, especially outside Bendigo. For example 2v 3 and 4 v 5 is the first week of the finals. If the ladder stays as it is for the purposes of this discussion you could go one of two ways. That is the team finishing higher on the ladder gets the home game. Alternatively you go for a completely neutral venue. Using 2 v 3 as an example Gisborne v Strathfieldsaye could be played at Gisborne as a reward for Gisborne finishing higher on the ladder. If you went for a neutral venue the game could be played at Castlemaine or Maryborough.

What do you think should happen Mad Jack?

I agree with your thoughts AlburyE in the past the QEO was unquestionably the place for finals footy.

It was the big stage for the big league where the big boys shined. As that gravitas has diminished over the years due to things like the pathway system, it has exposed some issues.

The biggest problem is the QEO has the soul of a vampire and the atmosphere of the moon. If you don’t get a good crowd in there, then it’s dead.

Over the years as the diversity of teams in finals has diminished we’ve lost those partisan crowds, especially the country clubs who are the best followings.

When you get Sandhurst playing Strath or Square you end up with a phone booth full of people invested in the game and a large crowd of bystanders just there to have a look. It just doesn’t make for a real footy crowd, it’s like preliminary final AFL crowd vs Grand Final crowd.

I think you definitely improve the atmosphere by heading to some of the other grounds because the game is closer and the crowd is more packed in but as you say there’s drawbacks with those venues.

Maybe it is worth a go but the other thing is the hub has pushed clubs out of the revenue over the years so unless it goes back to clubs making money why would anyone want to put the work in to host?

What we really need is to get back to having more clubs represented in finals more often.

Eaglehawk also 4 points ahead, you play square and Eaglehawk the next 2 weeks

I agree with your thoughts AlburyE in the past the QEO was unquestionably the place for finals footy.

It was the big stage for the big league where the big boys shined. As that gravitas has diminished over the years due to things like the pathway system, it has exposed some issues.

The biggest problem is the QEO has the soul of a vampire and the atmosphere of the moon. If you don’t get a good crowd in there, then it’s dead.

Over the years as the diversity of teams in finals has diminished we’ve lost those partisan crowds, especially the country clubs who are the best followings.

When you get Sandhurst playing Strath or Square you end up with a phone booth full of people invested in the game and a large crowd of bystanders just there to have a look. It just doesn’t make for a real footy crowd, it’s like preliminary final AFL crowd vs Grand Final crowd.

I think you definitely improve the atmosphere by heading to some of the other grounds because the game is closer and the crowd is more packed in but as you say there’s drawbacks with those venues.

Maybe it is worth a go but the other thing is the hub has pushed clubs out of the revenue over the years so unless it goes back to clubs making money why would anyone want to put the work in to host?

What we really need is to get back to having more clubs represented in finals more often.
Interesting comments. What do others think?

I can only answer this with my personal opinion.

The main (large) obstacle to playing finals away from the QEO is this ground is head and shoulders above any other facility in the BFNL. I am talking playing surface, spectator facilities, facilities for the opposition team and even parking. The great players like Peter Moroni, Dereck Filo, Tony Southcombe, Ron Best etc thrived on this QEO. They never viewed South or Sandhurst as having any sort of home ground advantage. It was their stage. Other leagues have alternative ovals for finals. Ballarat and the Ovens & Murray are very good in this regard. The BFNL lags badly behind them.

However in an effort to freshen up the league I believe the early rounds of the finals could be moved, especially outside Bendigo. For example 2v 3 and 4 v 5 is the first week of the finals. If the ladder stays as it is for the purposes of this discussion you could go one of two ways. That is the team finishing higher on the ladder gets the home game. Alternatively you go for a completely neutral venue. Using 2 v 3 as an example Gisborne v Strathfieldsaye could be played at Gisborne as a reward for Gisborne finishing higher on the ladder. If you went for a neutral venue the game could be played at Castlemaine or Maryborough.

What do you think should happen Mad Jack?
I agree - I said it a week or 2 ago in here, all finals excluding the QEO should be spread around, huge revenue raiser for all clubs. And given the dwindling crowds, the atmosphere at smaller grounds would actually be much better. The QEO facilities are amazing, but one thing that’s happened with the away rooms on the pool side is a massive segregation of the 2 teams crowds. The old days were better where 1 teams supporters were in front of the stand, and the others on the hill in front of the south social rooms.
And the days when Filo, Moroni, Southcombe were putting on a show, there were 15,000 in attendance, and the GF was live on TV. The league could only dream of those types of numbers now - finals like the mid-late 90’s when 3 country clubs were right in the mix. Those days are gone.

One region needs to be brave enough to try it first. If that is this region and the likes of a Castlemaine/Flat start to see some success, the conversation will no doubt start in other areas by clubs in similar positions. By success I mean making finals and challenging the good sides.

Other brain farts I have had this week:
Recruits don't drop a point after a year of service, but drop 2 after 2 years of service. -1 each year of service after that.
Players need to play at least 8-10 games each year to lose points, Finals don't count.
Transferring within the league gain a +2, if that player is under 20 its an additional +1
There are no point exemptions/ deductions, just years of service to that club. none of this "moved for work", "has had a few years off and getting back into footy" crap.
What if I young player under 20 at a top side can’t break into the senior side or get continued games and wants to leave for a lower club for more senior opportunities? I don’t like it that they get an extra point let alone more points. Yes if they are playing regular senior footy and leave then I agree the club should be prepared for the player carrying an extra point to say 4 but if they haven’t played more footy why even are they a 3 let alone a possible 4. I don’t think it helps these players looking for senior opportunities..

What if I young player under 20 at a top side can’t break into the senior side or get continued games and wants to leave for a lower club for more senior opportunities? I don’t like it that they get an extra point let alone more points. Yes if they are playing regular senior footy and leave then I agree the club should be prepared for the player carrying an extra point to say 4 but if they haven’t played more footy why even are they a 3 let alone a possible 4. I don’t think it helps these players looking for senior opportunities..
I think if they have played under 5 games of senior footy, and the rest in the reserves they should be 1 point

I agree - I said it a week or 2 ago in here, all finals excluding the QEO should be spread around, huge revenue raiser for all clubs. And given the dwindling crowds, the atmosphere at smaller grounds would actually be much better. The QEO facilities are amazing, but one thing that’s happened with the away rooms on the pool side is a massive segregation of the 2 teams crowds. The old days were better where 1 teams supporters were in front of the stand, and the others on the hill in front of the south social rooms.
And the days when Filo, Moroni, Southcombe were putting on a show, there were 15,000 in attendance, and the GF was live on TV. The league could only dream of those types of numbers now - finals like the mid-late 90’s when 3 country clubs were right in the mix. Those days are gone.
Yes the segregation of the crowds is a valid point. Using a Gisborne v Strathfieldsaye game as an example would you play it at the home ground of the team finishing higher on the ladder (Gisborne) or a neutral venue such as Castlemaine?

Yes the segregation of the crowds is a valid point. Using a Gisborne v Strathfieldsaye game as an example would you play it at the home ground of the team finishing higher on the ladder (Gisborne) or a neutral venue such as Castlemaine?
Given it’s pretty much the same teams in finals every year, playing finals at the home of the higher ranked team isn’t going to help with revenue raising for the non-finals teams. Finals venues to be finalised straight after final round, or earlier if possible based on ladder. Senior qualifying on the Saturday, elimination on the Sunday, then other grades elimanation/qualifying to fit in around having as many as the same team at the same ground the same day. Similar for the following week. Senior prelim on neutral territory (QEO unless Sandhurst are playing). Grand Final to remain at QEO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carol saying Camp can't host finals because of one netball court would be funny if not insulting.

They manage to play regular season games there without issue.

Keen to hear the thoughts from the local supporters on the standard and quality of the umpiring going around country football? With the AFL chopping and changing and the ‘elite’ struggling with consistency, is this flowing into our local football?

What more can be done to assist our local groups with their umpiring, especially with the amount of $$ being thrown around by the clubs for players.

Have posted this in a couple of other groups around the region to get a good gauge on it all.

revenue raising for the non-finals teams

What revenue? Doesn’t the hub keep it all?
That's the point.

Leaving Bendigo would fix all their problems, leaving Bendigo would fix many clubs problems according to many.

Kyneton went backwards.

Maybe its not all the league?

Depends on your criteria I suppose, the senior football result is only one small piece of a club.

I’m sure they would point to things like better playing numbers across all teams, bigger crowds, a huge financial boost, much less stress and work for volunteers and committee members and more community engagement in the club as very successful measures.

There’s also the possibility that the Bendigo league isn’t as strong as we assume it is.

Keen to hear the thoughts from the local supporters on the standard and quality of the umpiring going around country football? With the AFL chopping and changing and the ‘elite’ struggling with consistency, is this flowing into our local football?

What more can be done to assist our local groups with their umpiring, especially with the amount of $$ being thrown around by the clubs for players.

Have posted this in a couple of other groups around the region to get a good gauge on it all.

It’s awful and getting worse. Most of the umpire pool appears to be far too old or far too young to do the job effectively and the basic knowledge of the rules is lacking.
Our region is a bit different because there are ongoing issues with the politics of the association which have created issues in recruitment and retention.
Numbers are declining so much I believe it has been decided to drop a league from the roster they currently supply umpires for next year.
As to what can be done, perhaps increasing the pay would help but there would have to be a level of performance expected as well.

Maryborough requesting to move into the MCDFNL. Interesting to see what happens there. LFG might have more on it possibly?

Heard also Giants merger not off the cards either, but not sure how true/ far along that is.
I think they need to merge wherever they play to get their player numbers to a healthy level.

I think they need to merge wherever they play to get their player numbers to a healthy level.

I think it has come to that, unfortunately.

Having 16 open-age players available to take the field on Saturday was far from acceptable. Out of curiosity, how many players are on the injury list at present?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back