Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Elephant in the room is what if clubs in either the Maryborough-Castlemaine or Central Highlands leagues don’t want Maryborough to join in 2025? What happens then? Can’t be discounted because of parlous state of playing list in footy and no A grade netball team.

This is why I expect the merger will happen.

This is why I expect the merger will happen.
If they merge with that team, surely they have to think of playing in the bfl. Surely football in maryborough isn't that bad. Where do the talented kids go? It's not like kids aren't getting drafted from maryborough. Even Ballarat, their best two locals ate playing in Ballarat presently

Impossible to see Maryborough getting enough votes to get into the chfl
Will be interesting to see what the mcdfl clubs think
Gives them 18 teams, no bye doesn't it? How many central highlands clubs would lose guys going back to play at maryborough ?

This baffles me completely why leagues in today's game wouldn't be rolling out the red carpet to clubs wanting to join and actually keep kids and communities into community sport, surely the net community benefit far outweighs anything else

Gives them 18 teams, no bye doesn't it? How many central highlands clubs would lose guys going back to play at maryborough ?

This baffles me completely why leagues in today's game wouldn't be rolling out the red carpet to clubs wanting to join and actually keep kids and communities into community sport, surely the net community benefit far outweighs anything else
2 divisions of 9 teams with a 16 round system makes a lot of sense for the CHFL. There are teams in that league that will never win a flag so why not create 2 divisions.

The bye is a good thing for players and volunteers these days
17 clubs is too many let alone 18
Adding a club outside the existing geographical landscape isn’t attractive
This is a league that killed off a club in the recent past
Just don’t see it happening

If they merge with that team, surely they have to think of playing in the bfl. Surely football in maryborough isn't that bad. Where do the talented kids go? It's not like kids aren't getting drafted from maryborough. Even Ballarat, their best two locals ate playing in Ballarat presently

No chance.

They are heading the other way demographically and they don’t have to financial capacity to even that up.

The data on the town in terms of socio economic factors is diabolical, it’s a hard enough road for Castlemaine and as a town it is a thousand times better placed.

No chance.

They are heading the other way demographically and they don’t have to financial capacity to even that up.

The data on the town in terms of socio economic factors is diabolical, it’s a hard enough road for Castlemaine and as a town it is a thousand times better placed.
Pretty sure Ted whitten and Doug Hawkins came from commission housing in braybrook.

Maryborough have had humm, adcock, Crameri, Lohmann that's a good sprinkle of talent from a club to get drafted in 25 odd years. Add delavedova in. Pretty sure class doesn't affect football talent forrest

Pretty sure Ted whitten and Doug Hawkins came from commission housing in braybrook.

Maryborough have had humm, adcock, Crameri, Lohmann that's a good sprinkle of talent from a club to get drafted in 25 odd years. Add delavedova in. Pretty sure class doesn't affect football talent forrest
And Troy Chaplin was from the town albeit he was a Maryborough Rovers product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance.

I think the biggest factor facing most leagues is the effect of covid on junior numbers in all age groups. I was talking to several junior coaches and the 2 years that were missed has caused a huge gap in numbers. Kids playing lower age after the gap found it difficult coming to terms with the physical side of and found it easier to pull the pin on playing. Lots of alternatives if they dont wont to play footy.

I think the biggest factor facing most leagues is the effect of covid on junior numbers in all age groups. I was talking to several junior coaches and the 2 years that were missed has caused a huge gap in numbers. Kids playing lower age after the gap found it difficult coming to terms with the physical side of and found it easier to pull the pin on playing. Lots of alternatives if they dont wont to play footy.

Great point.

Cost to play now is also a huge factor.

For 2 kids it’s around $300 in club fees, boots, helmet, mouth guard etc plus club merchandise which parents feel obliged to give their kids so they are just like the rest. Petrol to get to training and games.

It’s a big big cost

You don’t build a club from a couple of AFL level talents a decade though.

You need strong numbers of locals, and a capacity to recruit and fund top players around them. It needs a financial base that has to be generated from the local economy.

Median weekly income in Maryborough is $876. Strath is $2237.

You need strong numbers of locals, and a capacity to recruit and fund top players around them. It needs a financial base that has to be generated from the local economy.

You can make stats look any way you want. Outright home ownership in Maryborough would be much higher than Strath. And I would think that with the influx of older people settling in Maryborough the $Assets per head would be more than comparable. Biggest problem is that those settling in Maryborough have no ties to the footy club and if have no interest in footy arent going to help the footy club. Strath on the other hand all young families, lots of kids and a solid base to grow a footy club.
P.S. Unless their kids get poached by bloody Sandhurst.

Last edited:

It's about engaging the kids into your club, house prices in.maryborough are the cheapest in the league too, so that factor entices families even if there's not as much employment.

Socio economic factors don't help you kick the footy, I'd think maryborough kids aren't engaged in football and not from traditional football backgrounds. It's up to the afl to get these kids interested and the footy club to get these kids interested to come for a kick. Maybe the club gives out cheap dinners every Thursday for juniors and seniors. The clubs financially stable to do it. Maybe the bfl need to cut their costs for the league and hub as well, as it's turning kids away

You can make stats look any way you want. Outright home ownership in Maryborough would be much higher than Strath. And I would think that with the influx of older people settling in Maryborough the $Assets per head would be more than comparable. Biggest problem is that those settling in Maryborough have no ties to the footy club and if have no interest in footy arent going to help the footy club. Strath on the other hand all young families, lots of kids and a solid base to grow a footy club.
P.S. Unless their kids get poached by bloody Sandhurst.

It doesn’t really equate though. Fact is people in Maryborough just don’t have the discretionary income to put into a footy club.
By any measure they are going to be financially behind the eight ball when it comes to trying to raise the money required as a big league team. They don’t have the business base to support it nor do the locals have the capacity. For example they would never pull off a Kyneton style raffle.
They can still be a solid financial outfit but it would only work in a league like the MCDFL where they can compete on comfortable terms.
As I’ve said this is the sort of analysis we should be getting from AFL Central VIC.
I know most old school footy people turn their noses up at it in the same way they do when players chip then all around, but they are the critical factors that determine the likelihood of a club being able to compete or survive against other clubs.

Any comment from the bfnl since Maryborough have shown interest in joining other comps ? Are they still hoping to “work with them” ?

Joke continues

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Early mail is that the interleague team heading to Melbourne is very depleted. More late outs in Jones from Strath and Tardrew. Some blokes getting a game based off their form should be buying lotto tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back