Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Early mail is that the interleague team heading to Melbourne is very depleted. More late outs in Jones from Strath and Tardrew. Some blokes getting a game based off their form should be buying lotto tickets

There’s a young bloke from Castlemaine, now Gisborne who hasn’t even been listed in the best players once in eight games so far this season!

Bit of a change from the 1989 calibre.

Has the Addy lost interest in this story?
Carol has given the Addy the cold shoulder by not picking up the phone by looks of things. Begs a couple of questions. Is the BFNL just bunkering down hoping everyone will just move on and pretend nothing is happening? Or is Carol and rest of board just not up to it when the going gets tough. Looking from outside the BFNL brand, whatever that is presently, is copping an absolute shellacking.

Can the Magpies do the unthinkable (by some) and possibly slip into the 5 by the end of proceedings at Wade St on Saturday week ? Tempted to jump in the car and make the trek from Seymour to find out.

Will take a 5-6 goal win to flip the percentage I’m guessing.

We should have won the first encounter but went down by two goals. Since then added Ryan Eyre who is a jet and there will be a couple more back from injury as well and have comfortably improved by 6-8 goals as a team since that game.

The case against is we haven’t done it in big games yet and haven’t won at Wade St for an eternity.

Will take a 5-6 goal win to flip the percentage I’m guessing.

We should have won the first encounter but went down by two goals. Since then added Ryan Eyre who is a jet and there will be a couple more back from injury as well and have comfortably improved by 6-8 goals as a team since that game.

The case against is we haven’t done it in big games yet and haven’t won at Wade St for an eternity.

Mags win simple

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some good points made relating to Maryborough as a town.

Yes there are socio economic factors at play in regards to income etc but the fact is the town has an old demographic and people moving to Maryborough are generally those who have retired and wish to purchase a cheaper property than in some more expensive areas.

Other issues to raise;

- The loss of younger people who move away to Melbourne and other places to work and study. Unfortunately there are not the job opportunities in Maryborough that the majority of younger people wish to pursue or attract younger people to permanently settle in town. Many people commute to Maryborough from Bendigo and Ballarat for work each day.

- The town has become popular with retirees due to cheaper housing. The club has seen some people become involved but unfortunately they don’t bring children into the club which are the future.

- Sponsorship for the club has been very good both from local businesses and business outside the town. In the current climate, we are pleased with the level of support provided for the club. Unfortunately unlike other clubs we don’t have a white knight or generous benefactor that is “pouring” large amounts of money into the club.

- Whilst there are children in town, we don’t have the numbers available compared to other clubs. Our junior club is doing very well but as mentioned the young people move away as they get older. Also clubs around the district are all competing for the same pool of children to fill their respective teams and use a range of initiatives/ incentives to have them join the club.

- Maryborough has strong community spirt and this has come to the fore in recent times due to the club’s plight. People from far and wide have rallied to support the club which has been fantastic. It’s difficult times where you see the community at its best.

I think whatever decision is made, the club will be able to survive on its own (well I hope so) and continue to provide opportunities for the community for years to come.

Finally, terrific to see 2 of our boys selected in the inter league squad. Both have been amazing this year and it’s great for them to receive this honour. We even had more players selected than Castlemaine FNC…..

Not simple. Square going a lot better and the Maggies have not proven anything

Golden Square will defeat Castlemaine comfortably. Whilst they have improved, there is still a fair gap between both clubs in ability. It’s also at Square which is a big advantage.

Golden Square will defeat Castlemaine comfortably. Whilst they have improved, there is still a fair gap between both clubs in ability. It’s also at Square which is a big advantage.

Was only a couple of goals last time lfg, and we led all day. I always think it takes a year or two to stop being intimidated by a strong side who have dominated for a long time and I think that’s happening with Square. We all expect them to be so strong we have underrated how far they have fallen away.

On Maryborough, what would your rough footy spend be at the moment? Would there be any capacity to take it up to the 200k plus competing in Bendigo would take over the long term?

Was only a couple of goals last time lfg, and we led all day. I always think it takes a year or two to stop being intimidated by a strong side who have dominated for a long time and I think that’s happening with Square. We all expect them to be so strong we have underrated how far they have fallen away.

On Maryborough, what would your rough footy spend be at the moment? Would there be any capacity to take it up to the 200k plus competing in Bendigo would take over the long term?
If Castlemaine are close to full strength they will be very competitive v Square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games aren't played on paper. I still remember that big Ollie came out of retirement one year to play at ff, with a young interleague side against Ballarat who had a strong side and won. Also the gv picked guys who wanted to play this year and beat a far more credentialed o&m side
Mid 80s a very classy and cocky BFL got their heads deflated by a committed NCFL at Donald

Aren’t they playing VAFA Premier B rep team? Should be a lot closer than playing premier VAFA rep team
VAFA 'B' grade is super strong as a competition ... depends on what sort of side they field.

I had an interest in VAFA Div 1 which is actually 'D' grade and some of the football is of a particularly high standard. Old VFA sides like Prahran, Preston etc.

It’s not a bad thing, we need all the pressure possible put on the administration at the moment and an interleague belting would be another piece of evidence for the prosecution.

Hate to say it but the uglier it gets the better.
I get that you want change and agree it's needed but is wanting an inexperienced interleague side to get belted they way you want represent yourself?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back