Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the mighty Maine winning by 2 points the average margin was 108 points - in the wet which would easily be the worst in the state possibly the country

All going well though let’s just keep doing zero

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Christ even when you win you are still negative

Surely they have no choice if they want to survive?
Rejected by MCDFNL clubs.
CHFL clubs don't want a bigger league and more travel, even if they only have to do it once every two years.
Merger options look scarce.
LVFNL too far away? LVFNL at risk of imploding anyway?
Surely afl vic make a decision on them? You can't have clubs make the decision, or we'll just end up with Broadford, Maryborough just go into recess and never come back. I'm not sure clubs are looking at the bigger picture, their looking after themselves. Which is okay, but it's rhe whole point of having a league board and commission to ensure all clubs can sustain playing at a level. Maryborough have shown they're no longer a major league town, but we can't have a place with a population and facilities like Maryborough not play football and not be used.

People complain about 1 extra trip, but if everyone had they attitude a club like hay would never exist. The benefits of having a town involved in competitive sporting leagues is essential for towns and the people in them. Increased travel is going to be the norm soon

Apart from the mighty Maine winning by 2 points the average margin was 108 points - in the wet which would easily be the worst in the state possibly the country

All going well though let’s just keep doing zero

It’s a very good point, would have been a horrific day dry.

The board chair made an appearance at the Camp yesterday and received some direct feedback about performance.

Surely afl vic make a decision on them?

When was the last time they made a decision on anything? The Heathcote league threw a gauntlet down to them last year and they still didn’t have the stones to lead.

Westy has their BFL obituary written today but also talking about the MCDFL so fair to assume he is off the pace.

It’s a very good point, would have been a horrific day dry.

The board chair made an appearance at the Camp yesterday and received some direct feedback about performance.

When was the last time they made a decision on anything? The Heathcote league threw a gauntlet down to them last year and they still didn’t have the stones to lead.

Westy has their BFL obituary written today but also talking about the MCDFL so fair to assume he is off the pace.

Lucky Carol went to the camp instead of the qeo - she might have been called up to play for Maryborough

Money talks and pays the bills.
Gone are the days of choosing a 'bigger' league for less money. More and more choose getting more money playing at 'district' level instead.
clubs and committees drive it all not the players so when the word mercanry gets used i dont blame any footbaler who can get remunerated for their time or skillset. blame the clubs when it dont work as whats the words often used in background checking. due diligance.

clubs and committees drive it all not the players so when the word mercanry gets used i dont blame any footbaler who can get remunerated for their time or skillset. blame the clubs when it dont work as whats the words often used in background checking. due diligance.
I agree. Footballers cannot be blamed. Though I think money is killing country football, the alternative would likely be even fewer players and clubs taking the field for two reasons:

1. Money means that the deficit of players in country Victoria, especially in smaller communities, is made up by players from the big smoke or non local players to make up the difference who wouldn't travel for a community they have no connection with.

2. Communities, and their footy teams by extension, are not as cohesive as they once were. Back in the day and not that long ago, I am sure the whole town would have come and supported the club on a Saturday, all the way up from young kids running the boundary for a can of coke and a pie to grandparents supporting the club. Nowadays there's many more options and people have many more interests than just watching or playing footy, let alone demographic factors which have been touched on re Maryborough. How many times do you hear now of players going to Europe mid year which kills availabilities? If that's the people who actually play and are invested, surely that is amplified in the community where the interest may not be as strong.

Surely afl vic make a decision on them? You can't have clubs make the decision, or we'll just end up with Broadford, Maryborough just go into recess and never come back. I'm not sure clubs are looking at the bigger picture, their looking after themselves. Which is okay, but it's rhe whole point of having a league board and commission to ensure all clubs can sustain playing at a level. Maryborough have shown they're no longer a major league town, but we can't have a place with a population and facilities like Maryborough not play football and not be used.

People complain about 1 extra trip, but if everyone had they attitude a club like hay would never exist. The benefits of having a town involved in competitive sporting leagues is essential for towns and the people in them. Increased travel is going to be the norm soon
if your local board commision or whatever you have read these pages like you all sugest then why are some of the more articulate or switched on contributors here not rattling cages of your clubs or trying to get more involved to help comunity football in your region. clubs pay league fees so why cop certain things instead or pushing harder on thiose you pay the wages of. in amongst some of the personal jibes and negatives youn all seem alinged in your care for bendigo refion footy and theres plenty of merit in what gets floated on here. we know why coaching and playing stsandards at pathway programs and vfl are the way they are (money and resources available) but if we cpontinue to let the same occur in our paid admin roles then as stakeholders like fee paying clubs or players or members or spectators we are all at fault marginally by acceptoing status quo. i used to love scooting around watching local footy and seeing small communites talklng to locals etc id hate to think towns like maryborough will potential become a lesser footy entity due to neglect, suport or the governing bodies not doing the repsonsible paid roles.

Last edited:
I agree. Footballers cannot be blamed. Though I think money is killing country football, the alternative would likely be even fewer players and clubs taking the field for two reasons:

1. Money means that the deficit of players in country Victoria, especially in smaller communities, is made up by players from the big smoke or non local players to make up the difference who wouldn't travel for a community they have no connection with.

2. Communities, and their footy teams by extension, are not as cohesive as they once were. Back in the day and not that long ago, I am sure the whole town would have come and supported the club on a Saturday, all the way up from young kids running the boundary for a can of coke and a pie to grandparents supporting the club. Nowadays there's many more options and people have many more interests than just watching or playing footy, let alone demographic factors which have been touched on re Maryborough. How many times do you hear now of players going to Europe mid year which kills availabilities? If that's the people who actually play and are invested, surely that is amplified in the community where the interest may not be as strong.
There's always been money in country footy though. The only problem is there's more money in metro comps. Gone are the days where we see a peter curran retire out of the afl system and coach a bendigo club. There's far more incentives for guys to play metro footy, higher wage, closer to work, less travel. There's not many tom kavanagh's that come back after not quote making it hoping good form gives them a second chance or a Jamie bond, Gordon sumner or brendan tranter ply their wares in the bush. Gone are the days where a young district footballer comes into major league footy to test themselves like a chopper Jardine or Lachie Brown or Brett Rogers, grant weeks

24/7 world now not all twosn or main streets close at noon, injections of non football populations into rural communites dont equate to football and netball loving people. i understand player payments are necessary otherwise many jsut work a 6ht day but when its more than triple a tax free day at work the argument becomes grey. which again goes back to clubs decision makers and what ,motivates the communitty club there only the current tporch bearer for.
liek discussed on another page the salary cap sees every club staewide having clubs functioning above, the ppoints system suportds loyalty but not quite junior content. perhaps a league needs to trial a set amount of local players per 22 then with a ppoints allocation thereafter. minium 6 real locals plus 30 more points for your loyal reduced 1 pters and recuits or something im not sure but some outside the square thinking could help.

There's always been money in country footy though. The only problem is there's more money in metro comps. Gone are the days where we see a peter curran retire out of the afl system and coach a bendigo club. There's far more incentives for guys to play metro footy, higher wage, closer to work, less travel. There's not many tom kavanagh's that come back after not quote making it hoping good form gives them a second chance or a Jamie bond, Gordon sumner or brendan tranter ply their wares in the bush. Gone are the days where a young district footballer comes into major league footy to test themselves like a chopper Jardine or Lachie Brown or Brett Rogers, grant weeks
It's not completely gone.
Fergus Greene returned to Sandhurst after deciding his time at higher levels was over.
Stewart Crameri returned to play for Maryborough.
Did a Geary return to BFNL footy as well?
Corey Jones eventually played at Wyche.
Perhaps we don't get as many back in the bush as we did in past decades because players were part time in the VFL era.
There's no chance any Selwood is returning to Bendigo because they can earn too much money in coaching or the media. Or they have no other skills because they were full time footballers, so they stay in the industry they understand.
Money has been ruining footy since I heard my grandfather tell my father that in the 70s. It's taking a long time to ruin it.
Population drift from rural areas is doing more damage than money, IMHO.
Mismanagement at club and league level is not exactly helping.

And realistically, you have a much better chance of getting a second chance by staying in the AFL/VFL system either by being picked up by another club in a rookie draft, delisted free agent, supplementary list, than playing in a metro league because the chasm between the fully professional AFL systems and the strongest metro systems like VAFA would be so large these days that no one could realistically assess dominance at those levels as being indicative of being at AFL level even as the 22nd bloke picked in a side unless you were dominating at say 15, which would be incredibly rare, because those players are already funnelled into elite pathway programs. They're not playing 16As for Strath.

And realistically, you have a much better chance of getting a second chance by staying in the AFL/VFL system either by being picked up by another club in a rookie draft, delisted free agent, supplementary list, than playing in a metro league because the chasm between the fully professional AFL systems and the strongest metro systems like VAFA would be so large these days that no one could realistically assess dominance at those levels as being indicative of being at AFL level even as the 22nd bloke picked in a side unless you were dominating at say 15, which would be incredibly rare, because those players are already funnelled into elite pathway programs. They're not playing 16As for Strath.
There’s some pretty hand kids at Strath 16As. There is some very good players coming through 16s for multiple clubs right now which given 2-5 years hopefully stay at those clubs and become solid Senior players. I do agree with most of what everyone is saying tonight. Money has a huge influence on country footy and to me this further backs my thoughts that a strong junior connection is so valuable. I understand it’s not a viable option for a lot of clubs though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone are the days where a young district footballer comes into major league footy to test themselves like a chopper Jardine or Lachie Brown or Brett Rogers, grant weeks

I was thinking about this on the Saturday and how it's nice to see Darby Semmens bucking the trend. He's not in the class of those Trent mentioned yet, but seems to be really growing as a footballer as the season progresses. He's certainly shown that he's up to the standard. Hopefully he stays around to play his best footy in the BFL through his twenties, before returning to his home club later on to finish his career much the same as Chopper and Browny did.

Unfortunately I think they're recess bound if they can't get out of Bendigo.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could Maryborough goto any neighbouring leagues? Correct me if I'm wrong (I live in WA so I'm not across it all), But geographically the Heathcote District and North Central as the next options. I didn't mention Loddon Valley as I've been told the league is on it's last legs.

The spinners at BFNL HQ been busy this arvo. Maybe a couple of Premier Jacinta's staffers have dropped in for some gold.
Maryborough pres: "I'd be lying if I said we weren't in heavy talks with the BFNL to continue in 2025. "(The BFNL's) Carol (McKinstry) and Cameron (Tomlins) have been unbelievably supportive." Have they been promised a final?

The spinners at BFNL HQ been busy this arvo. Maybe a couple of Premier Jacinta's staffers have dropped in for some gold.
Maryborough pres: "I'd be lying if I said we weren't in heavy talks with the BFNL to continue in 2025. "(The BFNL's) Carol (McKinstry) and Cameron (Tomlins) have been unbelievably supportive." Have they been promised a final?

What would you like to see them do?

What would you like to see them do?

Something would be nice

• offer of salary cap relief
  • offer of points relief to continue with bfnl

- offer to wave fees for 3 years until they are back on track

- offer to play lighting premiership in Maryborough start of 2025

- offer to run junior coaching clinic over the summer

- offer to assist with recruiting a high profile white knight

That’s a start Roota

Remove this Banner Ad