Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

so turns out and again depending on who you talk to broadford may in fact been led to believe a newly formed comp around some former boundary in the 70s was to maybe occur once they left the rdfl. the fact it hasnt is here no their. i think as a football follower we just wants communities still particpating but going to this league sounds too big a challeneg and could see them go into permanenet recess within a year or two surely.
guy who comes through work had a son play there years ago and thinks the moves have often been more about netball than football. my neice did some netball at kyneton and it looks a good strong comp so if broadford is about netball too then its not just the football that theyll struggle in.
why havent they rang the rdfl or hdfl?

Can we please stop talking about lower fees being a reason Kyneton left? They paid players and coaches more than anyone in their last 2 years in the BFNL.

Just because they could afford them doesn’t mean they wanted to pay them.

Kyneton were acutely aware of how pathetic the service they were receiving from the hub and absolutely resented handing over their hard earned dollars for it. It was absolutely a factor in why they left.

Just because they could afford them doesn’t mean they wanted to pay them.

Kyneton were acutely aware of how pathetic the service they were receiving from the hub and absolutely resented handing over their hard earned dollars for it. It was absolutely a factor in why they left.
What services does a hub actually provide or is expected to provide?

When the hubs were first pitched they were going to provide huge administrative assistance to clubs.

The reality is you’d struggle to find a club that can name one thing they do to help them.

What year did the Hub system kick off?

One thing i’ll promise you, is administrative workload has multiplied in the last 8-9 years.

Source:- Trust me, i know.

One thing i’ll promise you, is administrative workload has multiplied in the last 8-9 years.

Smithy can you tell us how much is your affiliation fee? Done a quick tally of clubs under the AFLCENTRALVIC umbrella. BFNL, LVFL,HDFL,NCFL all 9 teams,CMFL 11 teams and GRFL 6 teams, 53 in total at say $25,000 each per year total of $1,325,000. With all the snouts in the trough lets allow say $700,000 for salaries, does the other $625,000 go on admin?

Smithy can you tell us how much is your affiliation fee? Done a quick tally of clubs under the AFLCENTRALVIC umbrella. BFNL, LVFL,HDFL,NCFL all 9 teams,CMFL 11 teams and GRFL 6 teams, 53 in total at say $25,000 each per year total of $1,325,000. With all the snouts in the trough lets allow say $700,000 for salaries, does the other $625,000 go on admin?

I’m not 100% sure, staying as far away from the treasurers Job as possible.

One thing I do know, is the money is sent to various locations (AFL vic, insurance, league etc)

For all that money year after year, can anyone name 5 things that are better now than when volunteers ran the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see Sunbury leaving Ballarat for Bendigo. Unless you're talking about the Roos or Rupo?

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sunbury are certainly not leaving Ballarat. Very happy and settled there and the standard of football very good and the league well run. More interest in when Gisborne will look to make their move there as I am told the push within the club has gained a lot of momentum. 2026 is likely.

As for the other clubs, they are settled in their current situations. Not a chance of any move with the rumours as wild as the chance of a club in recess (Broadford FNC) joining the BFNL.

If Broadford does reform they will be in the Northern FNL in 2025.

They have certainly not been a settled club for a long time and have a storied history which hasn’t necessarily been positive (speak to those who played against them when the club was in Heathcote District FNL and you will hear of some pretty ordinary stuff). If they do survive the suggested move to Northern will be the best for them to recruit players and survive. Again their concern like many of these peripheral metropolitan clubs is what happens to netball.

Last edited:

Hubs were formed back in 2013-14. The plan was to centralise everything and hopefully have a single system to manage a group of leagues. Unfortunately this really didn’t work due to many factors, namely how different each competition was and how it had operated for many years prior. Change wasn’t accepted in the majority of cases.

The other plan was for the hubs to be a ‘one stop shop’ for supplies at a reduced cost. Again this didn’t work namely due to many leagues already having existing relationships with businesses and in some instances small businesses in regional towns where the arrangement in place with the respective league had been a long standing one and one member clubs wanted to keep.

There have been some benefits with the hub structure such as better communication with people in more senior roles and the ability to try and get a message across but this is not consistent and was dependant on who was involved and willing to listen.

The other issue was staff turnover. Many people coming and going and in some instances people in roles well above their ability and experience. Seemed to be a stopping point to gain experience so they can move on to better roles elsewhere.

I think when Paul Hamilton was involved with football in Bendigo it was the only time when things seemed to function well as we had someone that knew the game and was willing to listen. It was the same at Ballarat when Rod Ward was involved. Both were good at their respective roles.

Finally with the growing industry of WHS and risk management and the need to protect your club (and yourself) from potential litigation, I agree with Made4September that administration has increased ten fold. It is ridiculous now and no wonder volunteers are hard to find. It is a thankless job.

This is when the gv was taken over
Interesting to note the clubs around Shepparton voted for the new arrangement but the regional clubs didn’t. Lots of thoughts why this would be the case which probably would have included that Shepparton based clubs would have relatively easy access to the new arrangements compared to those in the respective regional centres.

Trevor Pollard and Keith Wellman, what great and loyal servants of country football they both were. It was people of this calibre why Goulburn Valley was the benchmark for country leagues at the time. The loss of people like this and having AFL involvement signalled the death knell of why country football is in its current predicament.

AFL Victoria not being an independent body any more doesn’t help either. They now seem to just toe the AFL line in the majority of instances. I will say Greg Madigan is doing a good job so far but he has a big job ahead of him to address the mess.

Smithy can you tell us how much is your affiliation fee? Done a quick tally of clubs under the AFLCENTRALVIC umbrella. BFNL, LVFL,HDFL,NCFL all 9 teams,CMFL 11 teams and GRFL 6 teams, 53 in total at say $25,000 each per year total of $1,325,000. With all the snouts in the trough let’s allow say $700,000 for salaries, does the other $625,000 go on admin?
That’s from the NCFL annual report. You would assume BFL is slightly higher..🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_7790.jpeg
    IMG_7790.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
They also administer Bendigo Junior Football League. Fees are lower, but there's a lot of clubs. I'd say most are paying 6k to 15k, maybe more depending on how many teams they enter. A couple who just a one or two sides would obviously be much lower.

Gisborne VP on abc radio today gloating how they don’t overpay players !!!!! Might change a bit when the Gisborne giants come in and decimate your depth. Also I’m sure bernacki isn’t playing for a pie and a can of coke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Clouds news flash.... local club president says it's highly likely for Broadford to come in. The Broadford conversation with the BNFL has been long and comprehensive.... Clouds Out...
Can't possibly be true.

Our Castlemaine brethren know everything, something like this must have only happened last week for them to have missed it.

I just cannot see how it would be a sensible or viable option for the league or the Broadford Footy/Netball Club
Mate I was just speculating yesterday. I know they considered GV but I didn't know they'd been so poor on field.

If the club Presidents are on board there has to be a compelling reason. Having another club as cannon fodder can't be the whole story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back