Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't possibly be true.

Our Castlemaine brethren know everything, something like this must have only happened last week for them to have missed it.

Well I’ve never claimed to be connected on most matters but Crazy would be the best connected poster on here bar none.

I’m sure Shane Jones will see this and be all over it though.

So it would appear that Maryborough is headed for recess next year unless there is a dramatic change in proceedings.

Assuming the lunacy of Broadford doesn’t happen and no other teams come in how do we see that panning out?

Can you manage to fit a 14 round season from April to September without it being farcical in terms of adding weeks off?

Or will they just bite the bullet and finish earlier? Could we see two teams have a bye each round to pad it out?
Final five remain or back to a four?
What about the salary cap? Will we see another increase by stealth despite a big drop in revenues?

So it would appear that Maryborough is headed for recess next year unless there is a dramatic change in proceedings.

Assuming the lunacy of Broadford doesn’t happen and no other teams come in how do we see that panning out?

Can you manage to fit a 14 round season from April to September without it being farcical in terms of adding weeks off?

Or will they just bite the bullet and finish earlier? Could we see two teams have a bye each round to pad it out?
What about the salary cap? Will we see another increase by stealth despite a big drop in revenues?
Based on?

Based on?

Westy’s article, knocked back from both leagues and Giants don’t want to talk merger.

Says they have had positive expressions from community but it hasn’t translated into anything meaningful and it’s basically now or never.

My feeling is they will do the year in recess and try to rebuild. Not a bad option as juniors can continue as normal.

Westy’s article, knocked back from both leagues and Giants don’t want to talk merger.

Says they have had positive expressions from community but it hasn’t translated into anything meaningful and it’s basically now or never.

My feeling is they will do the year in recess and try to rebuild. Not a bad option as juniors can continue as normal.
Just need to find their Hartley. Question is who?

Could they go down the same path Kyneton went for a season, and not field a senior team, but keep all others including reserves?

If marybourgh do have a year off next year it is fraught with danger. The MCDFNL clubs will feed of them going under, doesn’t sound like there is too many players left but I think it’s their most viable option to have a year off in seniors.

They will have to comeback with a massive bang and recruit a huge name coach with genuine connections to get interest and then lure the best local stars to be any hope.

You get the feeling unless they go to a divisional comp then not only Maryborough are in trouble but also the below major clubs are in major trouble - let’s not even start on the amount of minor clubs hanging on a knives edge

• Castlemaine
  • kangaroo flat
  • south bendigo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could they go down the same path Kyneton went for a season, and not field a senior team, but keep all others including reserves?

I get the feeling their demographics won’t suit that. Kyneton was in a fairly unique spot at that stage in that it had a core group of twos guys but couldn’t attract or afford the guys needed for a competitive Senior side.

I get the feeling there’s more young guys with ambition at Maryborough who would rather play senior footy.

Forest, I suggest you stop reading the articles in the advertiser 😂. They are not always accurate and whilst recess is something that has been discussed it is a last resort.

Correspondence was provided to all club members this week with an update on happenings and one thing mentioned was disappointment about the inaccurate reporting on the situation with the club.

I won’t deny recess hasn’t been mentioned/ discussed but I am very confident we will be around playing football/ netball in 2025.

I wish ‘local’ journalists would come and speak to us first rather than make incorrect assumptions. It is easy to write articles etc from a desk instead of making the trip to Maryborough to discuss our situation in person. We have been very open and transparent about our situation and will continue to do so.

PS - the Maryborough Advertiser has been great with their liaison with the club and reporting 👍.

Last edited:

When did that happen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recess is never good mate... look at teams like Jacana.....

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Forest, I suggest you stop reading the articles in the advertiser 😂. They are not always accurate and whilst recess is something that has been discussed it is a last resort.

Don’t worry lfg, I’ve known for 30 years the best place for the Addy is the bottom of the bin, especially when it comes to the country clubs.

I hate to say it, and you know I’m firmly in your corner, but it’s my own view recess is the likely result the ways things are going.

I’ve seen how hard it was to pull Castlemaine back from the brink at times over the years and we were never anywhere near where you are now. Unless you have a big rabbit to pull out the hat in terms of a coaching announcement then I just can’t see how you can do it, given it’s getting very late in the day for a merge or a league change that hasn’t already been explored.

I do sincerely hope I’m wrong though.

When did that happen?

This year, Kyneton out means less games under same cap.

And before Crazy has to say it I’d imagine we can all guess which clubs would have been happy with that and which not so much.

Are jacana still in recess, as in planning to come back or is it shutters for the last club in Broadie
All over red rover. Recess is never good. It takes clubs a long time to recover & that's if they can. East Sunbury were lucky to come back but they are on the end of serious beltings each week. I hope there is a good outcome for the Maggie's as there will be too many kids who will miss out.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

20 points, hope they can hang in there. Only ever seen floggings from these guys in my few years involvement at the camp. Wish I'd made the trip across !!!

Castlemaine were brilliant.

I’ve had some involvement with Strath as most know but I was not unhappy to witness that.

Played better, wanted it more and had some great interactions with some of the supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back