Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams will always go on runs of flags with a cap or points system or without. If you get a good group together and they stay together for a few season why wouldn’t they be able to go on runs of flags. Do you want it so no one can play at a club for more than a season at a time? Tardy, Ferg, Maxted, Wharton sorry you all have to leave because we can’t win back to back flags, cya…
That's not ringos point. He's suggesting the points has created tiered comps. The stronger clubs get stronger and it's near impossible to go from the bottom of the ladder to challenge for a flag the next year. Supporters want hope as do players

I know a couple of people who work at AFL clubs, both in footy management and recruiting.

There were two Bendigo guys that both their clubs were keen to rookie last year but both of them knocked them back.

Money wasn’t the sole reason but they came away knowing the fella from Sandhurst we’ve already discussed was on a massive deal and there’s a fella at Square who was also on a fair whack.

When you start doing the maths on the salary cap it gets clear quickly that it is very hard to fit in many guys on a good rate and still spread the rest out amongst another 18-20 players.
I'm pretty sure they are letting you on. Rookie players are 90k plus game payments. No bfl footballer is on close to half of that

I'm pretty sure they are letting you on. Rookie players are 90k plus game payments. No bfl footballer is on close to half of that

I’m not suggesting they are on that or even close to it, (although one is if you count a new house build), just that the money is good enough to make them think about it.

You might rather stay in Bendigo and make 50 or 60 on top of your other income than have a crack in Melbourne for 90 for example.

Strath must have had a lot of players playing for a pie and a can of coke last year then - with one player taking a 3rd of the “cap” alone
All local kids this year weren’t they?
I know a couple of people who work at AFL clubs, both in footy management and recruiting.

There were two Bendigo guys that both their clubs were keen to rookie last year but both of them knocked them back.

Money wasn’t the sole reason but they came away knowing the fella from Sandhurst we’ve already discussed was on a massive deal and there’s a fella at Square who was also on a fair whack.

When you start doing the maths on the salary cap it gets clear quickly that it is very hard to fit in many guys on a good rate and still spread the rest out amongst another 18-20 players.
Pretty big accusation. Not too many more respected figures in local footy than Curnow and their President known to be an upstanding local lawyer and family man. You are basically pointing the finger at them

You reckon?? Who was it??
I pretty sure you know who.
See this is the problem when a player shops himself around to a heap of clubs, including in the same league - lots of people become aware of the asking price. And shoppers always end up at the highest bidder. Add 3 nights accommodation onto the bill as well and it really starts to add up.

See this is the problem when a player shops himself around to a heap of clubs, including in the same league - lots of people become aware of the asking price. And shoppers always end up at the highest bidder. Add 3 nights accommodation onto the bill as well and it really starts to add up.

Every time these conversations come up we get the same old ‘no way anyone gets that much’ but you don’t hear much by way of actual examples that back that up. I think it shows who has recent involvement in a footy club and who doesn’t.

People are very naive when they want to be. For example we know not far north of here you have a player declining 60k because he had a bigger offer from a club down the road.

How could anyone possibly think that sort of stuff doesn’t make its way down here and lift prices?

The salary cap is a farce and the only reason we talk about it is because it exists. Scrap it and use the points system properly and spending will come down.

Every time these conversations come up we get the same old ‘no way anyone gets that much’ but you don’t hear much by way of actual examples that back that up. I think it shows who has recent involvement in a footy club and who doesn’t.

People are very naive when they want to be. For example we know not far north of here you have a player declining 60k because he had a bigger offer from a club down the road.

How could anyone possibly think that sort of stuff doesn’t make its way down here and lift prices?

The salary cap is a farce and the only reason we talk about it is because it exists. Scrap it and use the points system properly and spending will come down.
Having played in the bfl and lived with highly paid players, the money in the bfl is not even close to what clubs in the north central, central murray, mallee league (when it was around) heathcote and gv used to pay higher. I can't ever see how a sandhurst could offer any footballer 40k+, what they can do is connect with people in Bendigo to help with your occupation and career. Same as square, I recall a builder moved to square for a couple of years, as it helped set up he's business by using those networks, such as Rosa landscaping etc. These guys could have got way more money travelling. A guy like brodie filo would get paid well if he ever went back to Eaglehawk, but it's nowhere near the pay he got at the raiders.

I might be naive, but I'd doubt more than 10 guys would have got over a 1k a game last year in the bfl.

rubbish. There is not a chance in hell in the last 5 years Strath have paid one player 1/3 of the cap.

Bendigo League money is not the same, I think you’ll find a lot of people playing in BFNL know they can’t expect the same money as they could get in the district leagues.

Tell me a player going from one league to another that doesn't add some mayonnaise to the asking price when asked what he expects?
Same applies for a job. Do you leave one employer and go to another looking for the same or less than you were getting to perform the same job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me a player going from one league to another that doesn't add some mayonnaise to the asking price when asked what he expects?
Same applies for a job. Do you leave one employer and go to another looking for the same or less than you were getting to perform the same job?
Plus asking prices are always different when talking to a bottom side compared to talking to a top side.

I have no idea who or what you are talking about.

In my season involved we had hardly any recruits. A young bloke, a bloke with family connections and a traveller from Geelong.

There was not one person who had accomodation paid for….the traveller stayed at the coaches house when he needed to stay.

Name names and I will tell you that you are wrong

I have no idea who or what you are talking about.

In my season involved we had hardly any recruits. A young bloke, a bloke with family connections and a traveller from Geelong.

There was not one person who had accomodation paid for….the traveller stayed at the coaches house when he needed to stay.

Name names and I will tell you that you are wrong
Of course you’ll tell me I’m wrong, even though I know I’m right.

I get the feeling you are going to look like a fool… humour Roota and say a name it’s simple isn’t it?
No matter what I say, I already know the response. Deny deny deny.
As I said, shop yourself around enough and the truth becomes known - especially if you’re willing to drive 2 and a half hours from home and stay in town 3 nights just to play local footy.

I disagree. I think it’s an assumed by those not in the know or those involved at a club that does cheat that it’s just a given that other BFNL teams cheat the cap and pay big dollars to players, it’s such a cop out and a slap in the face of many good people running successful clubs.

In my time heavily involved at one club and still being close to many who currently are involved at others I just don’t see it as being as wide spread in Bendigo as you make out.

Again I’ll say my head might be in the sand but I don’t think it is, the truth may lie somewhere in the middle.

As I said, shop yourself around enough and the truth becomes known - especially if you’re willing to drive 2 and a half hours from home and stay in town 3 nights just to play local footy.
Why would strath do that, when they've got such strong reserves and juniors. If it was an ex afl player bring 500 more people to.each home yes

2 and half hours is geelong, so it's Webb. What your club is willing to pay maybe more than strath too

I’m not suggesting they are on that or even close to it, (although one is if you count a new house build), just that the money is good enough to make them think about it.

You might rather stay in Bendigo and make 50 or 60 on top of your other income than have a crack in Melbourne for 90 for example.
It really is time to stop this crap. Hopefully you're just stirring the pot. If you think a club that was set up over the past 25 years by Danny Ellis and currently looked after by great people with incredible integrity would do that then you are so far off the mark it's embarrassing for you.

In Perth, a couple of years ago they were able to work out that everyone was under the cap in the WAFL that year ... when a WA Football Commission employee accidentally sent a reply-all email with an attachment that had a spreadsheet of what every player from every WAFL club was being paid that year.

Made recruiting the next summer a little more interesting that was for sure.

No you are just plain wrong on this one….categorically wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back