Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with roota on this Trent. The sign probably says about 3,400 but the surrounding dairy farms have upward impact on the community. The loss of jobs at MG will be twofold: families move away, which subsequently diminishes growth at a grass roots level. (And I am talking junior footy rather than dairy farms)

Couldn't tell you how many players live in town, as many travel back to their home club. I see the closure as debilitating rather than fatal, as it will indirectly impact other businesses in a rural town. It might take 2 years to see the full impact.

Chicken Hatchery just started up.
65 jobs there. And they buy everything locally,
Rochy is not dead.

If Wards shut down...... different story

I am hearing you Ost. As I say, it will be interesting in 2 years time but who knows ... Hello Nestles ...

Or Hello ACM. Sammy Vale's old man Mick Auld is a partner.
Mick could become chief employer at the factory.
1 question. Do you play footy
2 question. VFL level ?
Next comment.
Welcome to The factory. Sign here. And also here.
Training starts 12 Nov

Congratulations Maryborough. I hope it's the first step in the climb back. Enjoy the night!!

Love the comment by the coach, we were 0-47 before today now we are 1-0.

Congratulations to them, think having all teams playing strong footy is important for the league, let this be the start of something.

Strolled down the road to take a look at Sandhurst play Strath on the weekend. Without reading the Addy during the week, how many did Sandhurst have out? Who are they expecting back in the lead up to finals, and who's done for the year?

I am certainly in favour of a shake up of the Bendigo FL.

Opposition to change is simply small mindedness.

AlburyE you might get more traction from the Weekly Times. I have heard they are looking into the leagues run by AFL Goldfields (Ballarat). How you can run a district league with 17/18 teams (Central Highlands FL) is beyond me. 14 teams in Maryborough Castlemaine FL is also unwieldy. Both comps are very lopsided.

I would merge Ballarat & Bendigo Leagues plus chuck in the 32 district leagues in CHFL and MCDFNL and make 6 divisions. Top 2 divisions of 10 the bottom 4 divisions of 8. Trentham already drive to Navarre approx 150kms so travel could get no worse.

A second option is Gisborne & Kyneton join the 5 eastern clubs from Ballarat league to form a new league with 3 clubs stepping up from RDFL. Maybe a 2 division RDFL with 19 clubs.

Castlemaine & Maryborough drop down to a reworked district level. Maybe Daylesford & Hepburn plus stronger CHFL teams to form a "2nd tier" league

The 6 Bendigo clubs and 6 Ballarat clubs form a league. 18 game season means only 4 trips to Ballarat per season for a Bendigo team. Work the fixture so the Bendigo teams always play each other twice = 10 games. Then 4 home games v Ballarat teams and 4 away games v Ballarat teams.

I wish something would happen - change things up. Throw out all historical ties and get clubs into leagues or divisions that suit their ability. More competitive leagues drives up spectators and interest levels.

While I'm at it....

Ideally I see the Bendigo FL comprising teams only from Bendigo similar to the Bendigo District Cricket Association.

The YCW president said they would consider joing the BFL when they moved to Maiden Gully.
I don't know if this will work or the Strath model of a brand new club would have been better in Maiden Gully.

The other growth area is Epsom & it has ovals already built...

Strathdale & Flora Hill really should have football clubs. Quarry Hill has an oval.

8 Bendigo teams is enough to start a league, ideally it would grow to 10.

Another area that needs looking at is junior football.

Sandhurst Marist Dockers should grow into a senior club, home ground of Ewing Park is a problem - maybe play home games at QEO & Harry Trott.

Having Golden Square, South, Sandhurst, Eaglehawk, Strath have 2 x u12, 2 x u14, 2 x u16 just reinforces the strength of the clubs. Obviously they have worked hard to achieve this but for Bendigo to have 10 competitive teams in town the juniors need to be spread. Maybe cap each club at 1 x u14 and 1 x u16

I am certainly in favour of a shake up of the Bendigo FL.

Opposition to change is simply small mindedness.

AlburyE you might get more traction from the Weekly Times. I have heard they are looking into the leagues run by AFL Goldfields (Ballarat). How you can run a district league with 17/18 teams (Central Highlands FL) is beyond me. 14 teams in Maryborough Castlemaine FL is also unwieldy. Both comps are very lopsided.

I would merge Ballarat & Bendigo Leagues plus chuck in the 32 district leagues in CHFL and MCDFNL and make 6 divisions. Top 2 divisions of 10 the bottom 4 divisions of 8. Trentham already drive to Navarre approx 150kms so travel could get no worse.

A second option is Gisborne & Kyneton join the 5 eastern clubs from Ballarat league to form a new league with 3 clubs stepping up from RDFL. Maybe a 2 division RDFL with 19 clubs.

Castlemaine & Maryborough drop down to a reworked district level. Maybe Daylesford & Hepburn plus stronger CHFL teams to form a "2nd tier" league

The 6 Bendigo clubs and 6 Ballarat clubs form a league. 18 game season means only 4 trips to Ballarat per season for a Bendigo team. Work the fixture so the Bendigo teams always play each other twice = 10 games. Then 4 home games v Ballarat teams and 4 away games v Ballarat teams.

I wish something would happen - change things up. Throw out all historical ties and get clubs into leagues or divisions that suit their ability. More competitive leagues drives up spectators and interest levels.

Any changes to the HDFL or LVFL while we're at it?

I like the idea of Bendigo & Ballarat teams playing each other but why would it come to merging two traditional rival leagues? Are they struggling financially? Bendigo would do better off chasing Echuca, Rochy etc.

Ballarat league seems to be going well. The Eastern clubs just all agreed to stay around. Cant see much of a benefit for Ballarat league

CHFL doesnt need to merge with the MCDFNL, CHFL needs to restructure their own competition. It's hard enough for some of the teams (old Lexton teams) to fill both sides. Cant imagine it being able to happen if Rokewood, Skipton, Smythesdale or Carngham all of a sudden has to travel up Harcourt & Campbells Creek way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'm at it....

Ideally I see the Bendigo FL comprising teams only from Bendigo similar to the Bendigo District Cricket Association.

The YCW president said they would consider joing the BFL when they moved to Maiden Gully.
I don't know if this will work or the Strath model of a brand new club would have been better in Maiden Gully.

The other growth area is Epsom & it has ovals already built...

Strathdale & Flora Hill really should have football clubs. Quarry Hill has an oval.

8 Bendigo teams is enough to start a league, ideally it would grow to 10.

Another area that needs looking at is junior football.

Sandhurst Marist Dockers should grow into a senior club, home ground of Ewing Park is a problem - maybe play home games at QEO & Harry Trott.

Having Golden Square, South, Sandhurst, Eaglehawk, Strath have 2 x u12, 2 x u14, 2 x u16 just reinforces the strength of the clubs. Obviously they have worked hard to achieve this but for Bendigo to have 10 competitive teams in town the juniors need to be spread. Maybe cap each club at 1 x u14 and 1 x u16
The biggest issue facing footy in the country is lack of players and whilst what you have proposed may reduce people copping floggings or travel times, the introduction of additional teams would dilute the already thin recruiting pool.

Who's everyone's tip for the flag men?
Went out and watched the borough outplay the storm comfortably, square roll sandhurst, it seems pretty open this year. Sandhurst suffering from some injuries to key players. Anyone outside of those four teams a realistic chance to play off!!!

They are all in the mix, unlike the Flat, absolutely rock bottom and would be lucky to be competitive against any of the top reserve sides. 3 years of Jugga and look what happens

My top 5

1. Square
2. Burra
3. Storm
4. Tigers
5. Dragons

Kyneton V Sandhurst elimination final would be a ripper

Sad that this is the same top 5 sides again. I hope someone else jumps up next year, South look best placed to do that.

& hilux Flat have had a few chances to play finals over the last 5 years and they have choaked. But this year they are much worse than they have been in Juggas time as coach. Who knows where they go we know they have money but they never get a real gun.

My top 5

1. Square
2. Burra
3. Storm
4. Tigers
5. Dragons

Sad that this is the same top 5 sides again. I hope someone else jumps up next year, South look best placed to do that.

& hilux Flat have had a few chances to play finals over the last 5 years and they have choaked. But this year they are much worse than they have been in Juggas time as coach. Who knows where they go we know they have money but they never get a real gun.
Hasn't been the flag defence we hoped for been hit with the truckload of injuries but we aren't quite done yet. South have been a bit unlucky as well Antonwicz could have finished with 70 to 80 goals and set up a return to the finals for the Bloods. I'm really not sure about a Flag selection maybe Square atm.

My top 5

1. Square
2. Burra
3. Storm
4. Tigers
5. Dragons

Would not say the Flat has choked as more like did not have the depth
They start well and fall off during the year as injuries and sore bodies take their toll

My top 5

1. Square
2. Burra
3. Storm
4. Tigers
5. Dragons

Tragic,
how do you know they have the money ?
last I heard they were tracking square and would not borrow money to buy players ( smart )
The sports club is a sponsor but does not tip in endless dollars and most would be surprised what the Flat get.
Cheers

Tragic,
how do you know they have the money ?
last I heard they were tracking square and would not borrow money to buy players ( smart )
The sports club is a sponsor but does not tip in endless dollars and most would be surprised what the Flat get.
Cheers

Crow, I know someone that spoke to the club about the coach positon at Flat this year. He said they had a player budget of $150thow for the season so I guess they have money or are willing to spend money

Crow, I know someone that spoke to the club about the coach positon at Flat this year. He said they had a player budget of $150thow for the season so I guess they have money or are willing to spend money
Tragic,
that would be the salary cap ?
I know they spent $170k last year and made a loss
They have no debt but now with the cap you can't throw the cheque book at it not that they would
They have to find ways on retaining the kids as any good kids produced either get poached or move on for a few dollars
will take some time but the otherway is not sustained

Tragic,
that would be the salary cap ?
I know they spent $170k last year and made a loss
They have no debt but now with the cap you can't throw the cheque book at it not that they would
They have to find ways on retaining the kids as any good kids produced either get poached or move on for a few dollars
will take some time but the otherway is not sustained

Yeh you are probs rite Crow, that would be the cap that they were able to spend. If they are spending $150k this year they are paying way to much. I see they lost to Maine on Saturday, the Kangaroos are back at rock bottom. Is Filo coaching again in 2018? They need a full list change, kids will help but they need some top line talent

Yeh you are probs rite Crow, that would be the cap that they were able to spend. If they are spending $150k this year they are paying way to much. I see they lost to Maine on Saturday, the Kangaroos are back at rock bottom. Is Filo coaching again in 2018? They need a full list change, kids will help but they need some top line talent
Tragic,
that is the issue trying to find quality players that will hang around while your kids grow
Would imagine that they would not be spending all of their salary cap but would be working hard on player retention as you can't keep turning your list over
as its to hard to rebuild a list quickly
need to focus on up and coming juniors and make sure they hang around
Find a couple of old heads to mix with the kids in the seniors and in a few years time all going well add some star quality
Much easier said then done though

The winner of Sandhurst v South Bendigo will play in this year's final - all over for the loser.

Can anyone advise if Wayne Mitrovic has retired?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FNL 2017

Back