Benny Gale to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean Amarfio? or someone else? Doesn't Amarfio have an awful reputation as a hot head & an arrogant a-hole from his time at CA?

That's how he was smeared on the way out.

He also negotiated the biggest broadcast deal in CA history.

Yeah but they are selling everything they can. Land the clubhouse is on is leased from the Council.

I was pointing to Manly not fiiting the more regular template of say Penrith, just as the Eagles dont fit the regular AFL club ownership model.
As one who lived in Manly for a while & sat on the banks at Brooky, thats not good news DD!

The lockdown shutting the leagues clubs is massive for them too. I'd love to know the percentage of club revenue for the NSW RL clubs is from their pokies operations.

Then there's the ridiculously bloated NRL HQ, and their lack balance sheet (buying Docklands seems like a masterstroke now from the AFL).

Would love to know how this happened. The AFL has a comparable TV deal, 2 expansion clubs and a women's league to fund/subsidise, a relatively large media arm of its own, grassroots and development leagues to fund, a stadium to pay off, etc. Now attendance and sponsorship revenues would be higher than the NRL, but it still makes you wonder how the NRL are spending so much more to be in such a precarious position. :drunk:

Would love to know how this happened. The AFL has a comparable TV deal, 2 expansion clubs and a women's league to fund/subsidise, a relatively large media arm of its own, grassroots and development leagues to fund, a stadium to pay off, etc. Now attendance and sponsorship revenues would be higher than the NRL, but it still makes you wonder how the NRL are spending so much more. :drunk:
Instead of a headcount, someone ordered a neck count

Would love to know how this happened. The AFL has a comparable TV deal, 2 expansion clubs and a women's league to fund/subsidise, a relatively large media arm of its own, grassroots and development leagues to fund, a stadium to pay off, etc. Now attendance and sponsorship revenues would be higher than the NRL, but it still makes you wonder how the NRL are spending so much more to be in such a precarious position. :drunk:

Sydney "cost of living allowance" if you will.

Almost untill the start of next year.

Rag on Gil all we want but were in a position where AFL will survive, our loan is there and set up for clubs IF needed can draw against it with a great interest rate, we'll probably have to call the Dome NAB stadium for free just after the marvel deal however.

Start of next year isn't a long time, and then even if everything goes back to normal revenue wise they still have $300 million in debt they need to pay off.

I was pointing to Manly not fiiting the more regular template of say Penrith, just as the Eagles dont fit the regular AFL club ownership model.
As one who lived in Manly for a while & sat on the banks at Brooky, thats not good news DD!
I'm only 15 minutes from Brooky and it isn't good mate.

Damning numbers IF these numbers are correct.

NRL: The league's head office has around 400 staff

AFL: The company employs approximately 1,280 people, operates throughout Australia, and is administered from its head office in Docklands, Victoria.

Pardon my cynicism on the numbers here.

Last edited:
Daming numbers IF these numbers are correct.

NRL: The league's head office has around 400 staff

AFL: The company employs approximately 1,280 people, operates throughout Australia, and is administered from its head office in Docklands, Victoria.

Pardonn my cynicism on the numbers here.

Well comparing the respective financial situations of each league pretty much proves it. F*** knows how the NRL are spending their money, but they've sure as shit wasted it somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently 200 of the 400 employees at the NRL are development officers, so mostly trying to grow the underage pathways I guess.

Still, with 1/3 the staff of the AFL in total they must be well paid, or the wastage is ending up somewhere else. It's a mysterious money pit they've got there.

Channel 9 clearly had some knowledge of where it's going to come out as scathing as they did.

Well comparing the respective financial situations of each league pretty much proves it. F*** knows how the NRL are spending their money, but they've sure as shit wasted it somewhere.

There's almost certainly something fishy going on with NRL finances.

What about that report of how clubs were contributing to a rainy day fund, then when the time came to withdraw it they didn't initially get the whole amount?

There's almost certainly something fishy going on with NRL finances.

What about that report of how clubs were contributing to a rainy day fund, then when the time came to withdraw it they didn't initially get the whole amount?

PA was owed some sort of pension fund payment that wasn't paid last year too.

Still, with 1/3 the staff of the AFL in total they must be well paid, or the wastage is ending up somewhere else. It's a mysterious money pit they've got there.

Channel 9 clearly had some knowledge of where it's going to come out as scathing as they did.

I dont share your confidence of Nine. The NRL were on a beating to nothing.

I hope the NRL get this right whoever they choose, although many on this forum wouldn't care or would be happy to see the NRL fail (for some reason I don't understand), I've really grown into the sport, it's a huge part of the Australian broad sporting landscape and having multiple diverse options and elite sports and different athletes is a major part of why Australia is such a strong sporting nation with a sporting culture. I would hate to see the countries second biggest elite level league fall away, and SoO of course is year on year one of the most watched sporting events on the Aus calendar.

I hope the NRL get this right whoever they choose, although many on this forum wouldn't care or would be happy to see the NRL fail (for some reason I don't understand), I've really grown into the sport, it's a huge part of the Australian broad sporting landscape and having multiple diverse options and elite sports and different athletes is a major part of why Australia is such a strong sporting nation with a sporting culture. I would hate to see the countries second biggest elite level league fall away, and SoO of course is year on year one of the most watched sporting events on the Aus calendar.
I don't disagree with you here,

But I imagine AFL House would be loving this, and if there pathways fall away with this pandemic, then potentially kids move to AFL pathways....

This could be the AFL's best chance to grow the domestic market and it may be their only chance to squash NRL

I don't disagree with you here,

But I imagine AFL House would be loving this, and if there pathways fall away with this pandemic, then potentially kids move to AFL pathways....

This could be the AFL's best chance to grow the domestic market and it may be their only chance to squash NRL

The games will survive. AFL House has its own problems, see how drawn Gil is, he wont be getting his jollys at the problems of other sports.

The games will survive. AFL House has its own problems, see how drawn Gil is, he wont be getting his jollys at the problems of other sports.
Look at Union, even though it has always been a bit of a closed shop set-up, it's not attracting any top end talent in this country, yet I imagine all the local comps are still going.

Thats my point, if the premier product is farkked, it doesn't matter that the local comps will continue forever, business and money is made at the top end, for both player and the sport. If rugby falls away with Channel 9, clubs fall over with COVID-19, revenue and player payment drop away, it will no longer be the sport of choice. Players will look for better pay/playing environment, fans will leave the sport and look for alternatives, sponsors will look to support other clubs/sports for better market penetration etc....

This could seriously set the NRL back 40 years, and that will only be to the AFL's betterment, no matter how ratty poor old Gil looks.

and if there pathways fall away with this pandemic, then potentially kids move to AFL pathways....

Sadly this view (not saying it's your hope as I agree the AFL might benefit from this), but it's not good for the sporting landscape, population and players around Australia. Nothing is gained if kids have fewer options of sports to play, or the public have fewer options of sports to watch/attend, or the country has fewer options to compete in internationally, etc.

Apart from the AFL getting some more long term coin to fill their wallets, no one gains from squashing the NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Benny Gale to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back