• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who don't have Foxtel, it appears Tom Morris is a Fox Footy/Cricket reporter and that Bevo and Tom are not on the best of terms, I could be misreading the room though.

He's spot on, actually.

Not that it will mean anything to the muckraker himself, unfortunately.

If that’s my coach, i’d be wondering how much energy he is putting into a journalist (who was doing their job). And no Beveridge can’t ban him from an afl pressa.

I'm wondering why you're putting any energy at all into anything on this board.

He's not your coach, is he?

Right sentiment, wrong execution. He followed up with justification for his initial attack, but the story will now pivot on his opening and closing salvos at Morris. And most media will close ranks around Morris. FC will have a field day, as will that 'purple' POS. It's going to be a long week and a bit until round 2.

Right sentiment, wrong execution. He followed up with justification for his initial attack, but the story will now pivot on his opening and closing salvos at Morris. And most media will close ranks around Morris. FC will have a field day, as will that 'purple' POS. It's going to be a long week and a bit until round 2.
Something needed to be said. The Club has been hounded for awhile by journos and it's obvious that it's starting to effect the players.

Yep, right message, wrong execution. Could've left some of the personal attacks at the door, but Morris is an absolute campaigner and clearly didn't follow the due process by confirming with relevant parties such as player agents etc, which Bevo alluded to.

Someone mentioned it in another thread, but reading between the lines, it sounds like Hunter may have found out from the leak before the club itself, given it was two days before the match. That's maybe why he made comments about player welfare etc.

Now Bevo needs support from our nowhere to be seen the president of our club

I'd think he has the (unspoken) support of every AFL coach.

Not that any will come out and say so publicly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few private messages from a few of them.

By the way, Buckley's response on FOX was interesting. Although he said Bevo did the wrong thing, he admitted to understanding Bevo's response.

I reckon he loved it, actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worse part is he said he is trying to destabilise the club because he supports Melbourne! That was such a cop out, getting annihilated in the Granny and then comfortably outplayed when it mattered isn’t because of tip rat Morris.

Sorry not a dogs supporter. Just curious what you guys think. Apart from him being [insert insult] what exactly did Tom Morris do wrong?
Protocol is (according to Bevo) to confirm leak with club and give club advance notice you're going to run the story. Bevo (coach) indicated Riley Beveridge and other journos do just that. Morris does not, and tries to make out he has facts which are more likely rumours - beyond the team selection issue this week.

Not a good look, would have been better to flush his head in the toilet like Damo. Now all the other journos will back him up and he’ll go even harder at us now.

But, **** whoever at the club is leaking so much info out.

Worse part is he said he is trying to destabilise the club because he supports Melbourne! That was such a cop out, getting annihilated in the Granny and then comfortably outplayed when it mattered isn’t because of tip rat Morris.
Yeah, that's where he erred spectacularly, even if it's true. I suspect if he had his time again, he would have omitted that part. It just gives a sore loser, petulant spin on what were some valid comments about Morris' methods. Too late now.

Not really sure how people can defend this tbh.
Have you watched the whole 6 minutes? Taking out the personal attacks and 'you're a Melbourne supporter', the rest is pretty valid. Unfortunately the valid criticism of Morris will be drowned out by a rabid media pack focussing on the personal attack - which is partly fair game as well, as Bevo has left himself wide open by adding some poorly chosen words as a preamble, and probably his parting shot as he exited the presser.

If that’s my coach, i’d be wondering how much energy he is putting into a journalist (who was doing their job). And no Beveridge can’t ban him from an afl pressa.
You should be more worried about your coaches finals record 1-5

Sorry not a dogs supporter. Just curious what you guys think. Apart from him being [insert insult] what exactly did Tom Morris do wrong?
Legally Morris is perfectly entitled to report what he heard and doesn't need to name his sources. It's about ethics according to Bevo, especially as he blames Morris for using leaks from the club to benefit the team he apparently barracks for.

Bevo's take is that respectable journos (he named Sam Edmond as an example) will instead ring the coach and say "look I heard this news from inside your club. Not good eh? thought you'd like to know that info like this is leaking out of your club".

Bevo also played the player mental health card. I struggled for a while to see how he could blame Morris for that. It seemed like a shot from the hip but I'm not a club insider - maybe there's something to it.

As others have said it plays right into the media's hands. Fox's ratings will go up and Morris will probably get a bonus. Meanwhile - under siege from the media - the players, coaches and staff will be distracted from fixing flaws in our game. That was the real story that should have come out of tonight.

Horrid commentary re. Bailey Smith's mental health.
If this is the context to his frustrations then I kind of understand why he might lose it like this. Bailey is a kid, Bevo is easily old enough to be his father. I’m sure he is protective of his players and the younger cohort especially so.

Look, it is a bad look but I couldn’t help but think that something else must be going on. Maybe Bailey’s struggles were worse than we’ll ever know and Morris’ commentary and coverage made it infinitely worse. Maybe Bailey nearly walked away from footy? Who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back