• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the big issue is that the players being dropped didn't know yet and were finding out through the media.
If Morris calls the dogs and says he's running the story, we can tell the player first and it's not as big a deal. That seemed like Bevos main point to me
I find it difficult to believe players are ever caught unawares - Bevo and the coaches are in constant conversations with them about their form. In the post-game presser Bevo said he’d discussed Lachie’s role with him in the preseason and the fact he’d need to adjust a few things. Lachie would know how the land lay.

I think the big issue is that the players being dropped didn't know yet and were finding out through the media.
If Morris calls the dogs and says he's running the story, we can tell the player first and it's not as big a deal. That seemed like Bevos main point to me
I believe OP is being extremely tongue-in-cheek regarding the famous Taliagate incident.

My point was that it could have been a player...example Tim English speaking to his manager about this weeks team before the team is released and it gets out accidentally that way. I doubt it was a deliberate leak, more likely someone talking to someone before hand that had a relationship with Morris

I don’t think what Morris did on the Hunter or Gardner story equates to racism or sexism. Unless there is more to it.

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree. Beveridge rightly apologised so he and we should all move on and focus on the season.
Never said it did just drawing comparisons to the acceptance not being an example of something being right

There is another article on this topic online in the Saturday Paper. The ability to do links is not an ability I have. Not the usual journalist defending journalists piece. Looks at Bev motivation as the mental health of his players. Interesting point made that there are around 2000 accredited media people for AFL ( not all journalists some involved in getting tv broadcasts to air) compared with about a tenth of that number in the Canberra press gallery. So journalists have to make stuff up to stay relevant. ( not a quote from the article I am paraphrasing slightly there 🤣)

There is another article on this topic online in the Saturday Paper. The ability to do links is not an ability I have. Not the usual journalist defending journalists piece. Looks at Bev motivation as the mental health of his players. Interesting point made that there are around 2000 accredited media people for AFL ( not all journalists some involved in getting tv broadcasts to air) compared with about a tenth of that number in the Canberra press gallery. So journalists have to make stuff up to stay relevant. ( not a quote from the article I am paraphrasing slightly there 🤣)

Here you go Mr W:

Well written and thoughtful article. At last. Unfortunate that Caro, Damo & co won't take the slightest bit of notice, even if they bother to read it (unlikely).

Quite a few bits worth quoting. Here are a couple I liked:

On a scale of one to 10 of social value, where one is a serial arsonist and 10 is a paediatric nurse, Morris’s job would score about a two. And yet the gulf between this modest value and the immodest egos who practise it is hilariously massive. You’ll find more thoughtfulness and humility among paediatric nurses.

So, the question for me is not whether scrutiny of footy clubs is appropriate. It obviously is. The question is how many reporters seriously contemplate what scrutiny means, or should mean. Beveridge made a mess of that press conference, and I can sympathise with those who first saw a weird and intimidatory tantrum. I was one of them. But buried in his outburst were genuine grievances and, I suspect, more integrity than can be found in the subjects of it.

Here you go Mr W:

Thankyou, great article. I been thinking about this for weeks, and have been so proud of Luke and less so about the club for making him apologise.
Now Caro is at her nasty best trying to get another live kill to appease that false god of hers. This time it’s Jeff Kennett. Like him or loathe him he made a warm hearted joke that was taken the wrong way. Yet most of Cyril and his wife’s grievances were before Jeff’s time and not to do with Jeff at all, but apparently he has to resign? It’s a cold unforgiving world we are becoming.

The comment about journalists writing anything they like and hiding behind the cloak of public interest is on point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thankyou, great article. I been thinking about this for weeks, and have been so proud of Luke and less so about the club for making him apologise.
Now Caro is at her nasty best trying to get another live kill to appease that false god of hers. This time it’s Jeff Kennett. Like him or loathe him he made a warm hearted joke that was taken the wrong way. Yet most of Cyril and his wife’s grievances were before Jeff’s time and not to do with Jeff at all, but apparently he has to resign? It’s a cold unforgiving world we are becoming.
Anyone who transgresses against puritan dictates must be punished!

I was a bit concerned we were going to see a repeat performance in this week's post-match press conference. The very first question strayed into highly personal territory. "How did you keep your cool as the Mrs mounted?" Surely Bevo's bedroom behaviour is his own business, not the business of the football-going public?

To his credit though, he laughed it off and pretended the journalist was asking about the football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back