Bernie Vince - Well worth the trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Was kind of surprised there was such a stink from Crows supporters when he was traded, as I would have assumed it would have been "good riddance" from the outside. He was talented, but always came across as a soft inconsistent frontrunner, who enjoyed a drink and being a lad more than working hard at his footy (one of the few players around who never really seemed to cop stick for this), didn't have nearly the hurt factor you'd want from someone getting so many possessions, and never really recaptured or built on that good 2008 season. Has changed his game significantly since going to Melbourne though, (contested footy and tackling were never a feature of his game at the Crows), and is playing better footy than ever because of it.
Adelaide fans will need to clarify but from what I've seen of Bernie I think this is a bit of a myth. He trains hard. He's fit. From what I know of AFL footballers it's incredibly hard to do that in this day and age and live a party lifestyle. No doubt Bernie likes to live it up a little bit but I get the feeling he's a lot more disciplined that it might appear. When was the last time he really got in trouble? Plus if Tex Walker can be captaining Adelaide only 1 year after he left could Vince really be a troublemaker if he took Walker under his wing?

Really though fan favourites are fan favourites. Logically Adelaide supporters will see the trade as the right move, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be disappointed to see one of their favourites go.

Vincent reminds me of Rick Ladson

Quality player who isn't in the teams top dozen, but is a near monty

His recruitment will look like a master stroke eventually
Vince isn't really comparable to Ladson. He won a B&F at the crows and is one of the in form players in the comp for the last month. Ladson was at best a decent role player, Vince was in the Crows top dozen and is now either the Dees best or second best player.

He has changed the way he plays completely, watched him a lot for Crows living in Adelaide and while he was always talented he wasn't very defensive or a good contested player. He is now a great tackler and runs hard both ways while getting great contested and clearance numbers. Has been very important this year in lessening the workload for both Jones and for our young mids. I didn't expect to see this from him.

Dees have won on a lot of trades since roos and the rest of the changes at CEO/board level.

Vince
Cross
Riley
Tyson
Lumumba
Garlett
Michie(was dominating wafl)
Newton
Frost

All good trade ins compared to gillies, Byrnes etc

Then the drafting

Salem
JKH
Vandenberg
Petracca
Brayshaw
ANB
McDonald
Stretch
White
Harmes
Hunt

Much better than the likes of Cook, Morton, etc.

Lots to look forward to for them.

Also they have Hogan. Nuff said

Adelaide fans will need to clarify but from what I've seen of Bernie I think this is a bit of a myth. He trains hard. He's fit. From what I know of AFL footballers it's incredibly hard to do that in this day and age and live a party lifestyle. No doubt Bernie likes to live it up a little bit but I get the feeling he's a lot more disciplined that it might appear. When was the last time he really got in trouble? Plus if Tex Walker can be captaining Adelaide only 1 year after he left could Vince really be a troublemaker if he took Walker under his wing?

Really though fan favourites are fan favourites. Logically Adelaide supporters will see the trade as the right move, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be disappointed to see one of their favourites go.

Not saying he was a real troublemaker, just always gave the impression that he could "get serious" and be more than he was. How much of that is perception and not reality, I don't know. Seemed like he had a few wasted years where he just meandered along as a player, never really getting better or taking that "next step".

Anyway, didn't think he was that great a loss for the Crows on-field when he left, as he was an inconsistent soft outside seagull a lot of the time, that seemed pretty replaceable based on actual output. Has obviously rectified that in a major way, credit to him.

Make no mistake the Crows spudded this decision up. Vince was the sacrificial lamb for Trigg's incompetence. All too frequently a player who shirks a contest has their courage questioned. Well, the same should have been applied to Trigg staying at the Crows while a former B & F and club favourite is made to pay for the sins. A terrific player and former club champion and popular player amongst his teammates. When the inevitable culture questions are raised about the Crows when Dangerfield leaves, one has to only look as far as the treatment of Vince to see where the problem rests.

Kudos to you Bernie for proving those Camry's wrong
You realise most of us hate Trigg, and agree with you, right?

I love that this thread was aimed a Port supporters for some reason.

I think most football followers would agree it was an odd trade for both parties to begin with. Adelaide so desperate to get a draft pick inside the first 2 rounds that they were willing to trade away a popular player and club champion for a 2nd rounder. Melbourne trading an early 2nd rounder for an aging player who hadn't consistently found his best form in quite a few years.

The trade didn't really seem to get either club closer to a flag, with the Crows trading away a player who under the right circumstances could catch fire and play at the elite level for the crapshoot of draft pick 23. Melbourne, who at the time looked like they needed to continue to stockpile talent trading away a pick for a guy who would probably be at the end of his career before their talent gelled and sent them up the ladder. I think both those things still hold true really. Vince will be over the hill before Melbourne are ready to genuinely contend, and Matt Crouch could still be anything or nothing.

Obviously, like plenty before him all over the league, he just needed the change of scenery, and full credit to him and to the culture at Melbourne for his turnaround in form.

I love that this thread was aimed a Port supporters for some reason.

I think most football followers would agree it was an odd trade for both parties to begin with. Adelaide so desperate to get a draft pick inside the first 2 rounds that they were willing to trade away a popular player and club champion for a 2nd rounder. Melbourne trading an early 2nd rounder for an aging player who hadn't consistently found his best form in quite a few years.

The trade didn't really seem to get either club closer to a flag, with the Crows trading away a player who under the right circumstances could catch fire and play at the elite level for the crapshoot of draft pick 23. Melbourne, who at the time looked like they needed to continue to stockpile talent trading away a pick for a guy who would probably be at the end of his career before their talent gelled and sent them up the ladder. I think both those things still hold true really. Vince will be over the hill before Melbourne are ready to genuinely contend, and Matt Crouch could still be anything or nothing.

Obviously, like plenty before him all over the league, he just needed the change of scenery, and full credit to him and to the culture at Melbourne for his turnaround in form.
I'd be wary to undersell the need for a player like Vince at our club. The hole in the list as far as quality senior players was glaring. We simply couldn't afford to let Jones continue to carry the load in the middle on his own for another couple of years. It was an urgent need.

Getting to a stage where the young players can gel together into a contending side likely wouldn't happen without the recruitment of players like Vince and Cross who have been invaluable additions to the club environment.

I'd be wary to undersell the need for a player like Vince at our club. The hole in the list as far as quality senior players was glaring. We simply couldn't afford to let Jones continue to carry the load in the middle on his own for another couple of years. It was an urgent need.

Getting to a stage where the young players can gel together into a contending side likely wouldn't happen without the recruitment of players like Vince and Cross who have been invaluable additions to the club environment.

Absolutely.

I guess from an outside perspective, it was hard for a lot of us to see Melbourne being a club that could reignite a player like Vince, but as I said, it shows just how far you've come in terms of standards and culture that he (and the rest of your team) are playing such improved footy.

Absolutely.

I guess from an outside perspective, it was hard for a lot of us to see Melbourne being a club that could reignite a player like Vince, but as I said, it shows just how far you've come in terms of standards and culture that he (and the rest of your team) are playing such improved footy.
I don't think anyone can say with hand on heart that they saw Bernie producing this kind of footy when we picked him up. It's been a very welcomed surprise.

30 this year, didn't realise he was that old. Maybe Jesse Hogan or Christian Salem can teach him how to shave?

I'm glad the Crows traded him, they had way too many Aryan midfielders a couple of years ago.

Good to see him playing great footy again. It's a shame when players move clubs for the last 3-4 years of their careers and look like they're just collecting a paycheque, but Vince has a second wind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree there. If Melbourne were smart they would try and keep Roos involved at the club post 2016 even as just a consultant on trading and drafting as Roos is an expert at this. He is very very good at finding players that fill a need and make the team better for not much.

I've heard that he'll the 'Director of Football' after his coaching gig is up

He was what Melbourne needed. A gun at the right price (not a superstar) to support N. Jones and the quality young mids they have.
He's nothing short of a superstar when on. Some of his form this year and a couple of games last year have been elite. Doesn't get the attention it deserves because he's playing for a bottom side, and those performances perhaps don't shine as brightly because he's often playing a lone hand in a loss, but he's been huge when on song.

Dees have won on a lot of trades since roos and the rest of the changes at CEO/board level.

Vince
Cross
Riley
Tyson
Lumumba
Garlett
Michie(was dominating wafl)
Newton
Frost

All good trade ins compared to gillies, Byrnes etc

Then the drafting

Salem
JKH
Vandenberg
Petracca
Brayshaw
ANB
McDonald
Stretch
White
Harmes
Hunt

Much better than the likes of Cook, Morton, etc.

Lots to look forward to for them.

Also they have Hogan. Nuff said
Literally all of those draftees except for Jayden Hunt who we took in the 50s please me. As a Melbourne supporter that's a staggering feeling. I wouldn't change any of those picks.

You realise most of us hate Trigg, and agree with you, right?
Maybe, it just feels strange when Port and Crows supporters agree on something - something unnatural! :$

Old mate Go The Guts doesn't seem to though ;)

In all seriousness it will be a great question to revisit in 10 years time when Crouch has had a decent crack

This is the biggest load of chip on the shoulder typical wharfie shit I've read in a while. And there's a lot of it on BF. Absolute garbage. We 100% knew we were giving away a good player, but one who had been ordinary for a number of years since his B & F in 2009. We had to do it to get a pick, which gave us Matt Crouch. Who is a frigging ball magnet. Players often have a good season when they go to a new club. Maric did it too. But in both cases we had to make the hard call. And I'm glad we did. But keep the floggish comments coming.

And why exactly was it Trigg's fault? I'm pretty sure that he left the Crows by then, and even not, pick 20 for Vince looked like a great deal for the Crows (on paper) at the time ??

Colin Sylvia managed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie Vince - Well worth the trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back