Bernie Vince?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might aswell post this as i have wanted to for months but decided not to

Two months back we were having a huge crack at Scully this was info from inside Melbourne

All the pressure was coming from us not GWS

The kid is not about money he wants success and we have been telling him that in our Midfield he will be like Chris Judd and will win premierships and that Melbourne are not going anywhere

His Manager also has pointed out to him that he will make the big bucks later in his career and that with Collingwood he will make plenty from the media

Have not heard anything for a bit so dont no where that is all heading but we were having a huge crack

IF we are after Scully how could we fit him under the Salary Cap?

Can't see us getting him, the Bumbers/Norf/Dogs will be interested if available on top of the expansion teams, not going to happen, if it did though we would have to give up a highish paid player to make way in the cap, i'd prefer us to build our own player via the draft TBH.

A few people here are concerned we are chasing another big name player because we maybe "vulnerable" with a Pendles/Daisy. This is incorrect and IMO has no link or bearing on our movements.

I can see why the club is making moves to attract players.

Firstly, the draft is compromised, so that speaks for itself.

And secondly, whilst we have always been a popular and attractive club, at this point in time, we are probably as hot as we have ever been to prospective players looking from the outside-in. The brilliant part about it is that players we can potentially be targetting know they will have to play for less to join us because of what we have currently assembled- sacrifice dollars for success. Right now, we can potentially lure players to a successful side with less dollars as opposed to being an average side having to pay top dollar to attract big players.

If we are after Vince, he will not command the same amount of $$$$ as he is getting at Adelaide or would get from other clubs. Money may be a deciding factor but at the end of the day, it is the price you pay for the ultimate success.

Right now, it would be almost impossible and crazy to knock back a chance to join Collingwood if they wanted you.

A few people here are concerned we are chasing another big name player because we maybe "vulnerable" with a Pendles/Daisy. This is incorrect and IMO has no link or bearing on our movements.

I can see why the club is making moves to attract players.

Firstly, the draft is compromised, so that speaks for itself.

And secondly, whilst we have always been a popular and attractive club, at this point in time, we are probably as hot as we have ever been to prospective players looking from the outside-in. The brilliant part about it is that players we can potentially be targetting know they will have to play for less to join us because of what we have currently assembled- sacrifice dollars for success. Right now, we can potentially lure players to a successful side with less dollars as opposed to being an average side having to pay top dollar to attract big players.

If we are after Vince, he will not command the same amount of $$$$ as he is getting at Adelaide or would get from other clubs. Money may be a deciding factor but at the end of the day, it is the price you pay for the ultimate success.

Right now, it would be almost impossible and crazy to knock back a chance to join Collingwood if they wanted you.

There's a story http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/07/28/collingwood-say-no-to-prodigal-clarke/11323

Stating that Collingwood said no to a Marty Clark return (i call BS on the article BTW unless Marty wants top dollar which i doubt) but surely getting a Marty Clark for chump change would be a better bet than paying 300k+ for a guy who was a mature age rookie and only had the one good year not to mention possible knee issues, not saying we can't have both though.

IF we are after Scully how could we fit him under the Salary Cap?

Well he was not that interested in big money all he wants is success

There's a story http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/07/28/collingwood-say-no-to-prodigal-clarke/11323

Stating that Collingwood said no to a Marty Clark return (i call BS on the article BTW unless Marty wants top dollar which i doubt) but surely getting a Marty Clark for chump change would be a better bet than paying 300k+ for a guy who was a mature age rookie and only had the one good year not to mention possible knee issues, not saying we can't have both though.

Clarke was struggling to get a game at the end off his last AFL season

Why would anybody think he would now get a game with Collingwood

His no chance and will take a full season to get his touch and pace and knowledge off the game back

I'm sure his future wife would be happy with that decision lol.

He and his manager know that the money will come and its not like Collingwood would pay him 50k a year be more like 330k a year which is alot of money for a 20 year old

Is Collingwood making a "move" for a big name player on an estimated guess that when the CBA negotiations are completed, each club will have more room in their salary cap?

Think about it, if the CBA goes through, the salary cap will go up a little bit, even if the AFLPA say it's more about programs for retired and injured players then straight out money, the SC will still rise.

Could we be the first club to be taking advantage of this, fully knowing the SC will increase in a significant manner (if not in 2012, at least by 2013)?

Clarke was struggling to get a game at the end off his last AFL season

Why would anybody think he would now get a game with Collingwood

His no chance and will take a full season to get his touch and pace and knowledge off the game back

Clark was homesick in his last year, think of the year before where he was very good, stood up in finals, has an elite tank, quick, tough and clever, will be a welcome addition IMO and it isn't like he's been doing nothing in the time he's been gone, with a pre season he'll be ready to rock come round 1 without a doubt IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deledio is contracted. Forget about it. Asking price will be through the roof.

Scully I would overlook, period. Firstly, he is GWS bound but secondly he is very average, despite the hype.

Bernie Vince is what you would call a bargain-ish buy for a player who has hit a road block but cn potentially turn it around ala Luke Ball style.

A first round pick (add a sweetener if needed) may be enough to secure him if he wants to join us.

You can definitely see Adelaide demanding top compo and reeling out his achievements ala Luke Ball last year- captain, BnF winner, GF player etc. :D

Also, I too call BS on the Clarke rumour. Hine and co love him.

It's a really interesting one and brings up a couple more interesting points.

I particularly agree with VinnieVegas's point that he doesn't seem like a good fit. In that our gameplan revolves so much around hard running and application and Vince is a clear one way runner with questionable commitment.

It's not to dissimilar to people worried about his knees.

I guess you can only assume that, if we are chasing him, we have done the research and believe if we got him we could get him back to being a really good player (potentially better than 09 due to higher defensive workrate)

Also based on the 09 potential he is not going to come cheap. A guy who has that sort of ability is still going to be highly valued by his own club and others in the hope that he can recapture it, I doubt we'd get him for less than a first rounder plus fringe player.

I don't see why everyone is so keen to hang on to first round draft picks. Especially late first round draft picks in a compromised draft. We have managed to find and debut kids this year and have a very young side. It's not as though we are going to have room much room for kids in our best 22 in the near future anyway.

The AFL's drafting system is aimed to make success cyclical. So when your up you have every commitment to make the most of it and get as many premierships out of it as possible. People placing a premium on draft picks seem to be thinking we can stay up forever and we can't. As others have mentioned, I highly doubt we will continue to trade away first round picks when the draft returns to normal and we have still uncovered kids without first round picks.

H-mac doesn't fit our ruck needs. Due to his injury problems and age he is going to be in competition with Jolly for the majority of his career.

Clark is a much better fit.

I think it will be hard for us to nab any of these guys, unless they make life hard for there own team by refusing to deal with anyone else. To put simply other teams have much more to offer in the way of tradebait and more to offer in the way of cash too.

Why would we try to do this and make it harder to keep our current guys? He is older than our current players we need to sign up and has a knee that will never be like it was in 2009.... cant see the point.

if we were to get him and lose any of Pendals, thomas, wellingham, beams, sidy, dawes, reid ect i would be pissed off

Throw the kitchen sink at Judd when he comes out of contract!

Why? hasnt worked for the Scum

Unless your implying you want to hurt him, bit harsh but fair.

We have many threads dedicated to how can we retain all our players.. then this one....:confused:

Is Collingwood making a "move" for a big name player on an estimated guess that when the CBA negotiations are completed, each club will have more room in their salary cap?

Think about it, if the CBA goes through, the salary cap will go up a little bit, even if the AFLPA say it's more about programs for retired and injured players then straight out money, the SC will still rise.

Could we be the first club to be taking advantage of this, fully knowing the SC will increase in a significant manner (if not in 2012, at least by 2013)?

Yep if that goes through it would allow Vince to fit nicely under the salary cap.

Yep if that goes through it would allow Vince to fit nicely under the salary cap.
Although players like Pendles only signed a 1 year deal because they want more cash once the new CBA has gone through. There won't be much left in the cap, and in saying that I still don't know why Collingwood would be interested in Vince.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie Vince?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back