Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

bhys16

Senior List
Mar 5, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am quite worried about losing our young talent this offseason, Yeo and Docherty look to be the perfect half back combo for years to come and should be the priority to resign. followed by big Billy Longer. The other two's eagerness to desert has broken any bond I had to them, although both Karnezis and Polec are scary talented, someones gain.
With this in mind I put together my team for the doomsday scenario we lose them all. I have included Brown and Black as I am blindly optimistic the champs can go longer than mere mortals.

squad still looks damn solid in my opinion.

Patfull Clarke Harwood

Adcock Merrett Golby

Mayes Rich Hanley
Luey Moloney Redden

Zorko Staker Rockliff

Green Brown Bewick

Bench: Lester, Crisp, Black, Martin

Best of the rest; Maguire, Raines, Paparone, Lisle, Beams, Close

Something like this:

B: Patfull - Merrett - Harwood
HB: Adcock - Clarke - Hanley
C: Mayes - Rockliff - Rich
HF: Beams - Staker - Zorko
F: Green - Brown - Martin
R: Leunberger - Redden - Moloney
I/C: Golby - Black - Lester
Sub: Bewick

Emerg: Crisp, Maguire, Raines

The same as your team, but Beams in for Crisp/Bewick, and a few positional changes

I would have Beams closer to the starting 22 on talent and form, just want to see how he has recovered from the knee injury, in his favour he has had the full year to rehab and should get a full preseason.. for the same injury reasons I hesitated with Merrett, but he should be ok..

also figure Staker will re-sign, would be very strange if he jumped ship now after the Lions investing so much in him and having developed such strong bonds with the players..

all this of course depends on what the new coach thinks, same with Black and Brown. would make very little sense but the new coach might not see room for them even if both wanna play. would be a monumentally unpopular decision but you never know..

Based on Crisp's form in the last 2 finals, I'd be surprised if he didn't make the upgrade next year- very surprised.

What I like about this bloke he LOOKS like a footballer. Now he's also playing like one.

By the middle of next season I can see Bourke replacing Merret in back half with Merret being swung forward. I think raines will not be In the 22 as we could use weardo in that role as more upside in attack or Beams (I think he shouldnt be used as a tagger though) . As much as I like Black one would hope we will not still be relying on him by this time next year and Chrisp will be in the side. I can see a big future as a wing/chf for Paperone esp with limited interchange and a big pre.season. Close and Lisle should be pushing for contention if we are to be in finals contention as I think we are a better side without Big jon B. Contentious yes truthful yes.

By the middle of next season I can see Bourke replacing Merret in back half with Merret being swung forward. I think raines will not be In the 22 as we could use weardo in that role as more upside in attack or Beams (I think he shouldnt be used as a tagger though) . As much as I like Black one would hope we will not still be relying on him by this time next year and Chrisp will be in the side. I can see a big future as a wing/chf for Paperone esp with limited interchange and a big pre.season. Close and Lisle should be pushing for contention if we are to be in finals contention as I think we are a better side without Big jon B. Contentious yes truthful yes.

If Maguire plays on Merrett will play up forward anyway(assuming Maguire can still play well). Our tall's down back will probably be Patfull, Maguire and Clarke.

My starting 22 would be.

Patfull Maguire Harwood
Adcock Clarke Golby

Hanley Black Mayes

Zorko Brown Bewick
Merrett Lisle Green

Leuenberger Rich Rockliff

Moloney McGrath Redden. Sub: Raines

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone. I don't have Beams in, I will wait until I see his pre season.

B: Harwood Merrett Clarke
HB: Adcock Patfull Golby
C: Rockliff Moloney Redden
HF: Hanley Brown Vince
F: Green Boyd Zorko
R: Leuenberger Martin Rich
I: Mayes Black Lester Beams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

b - Harwood Merrett Patfull
hb - Adcock Clarke Golby
c - Mayes Moloney Rockliff
hf - Hanley Brown Zorko
f - Green Lisle Staker
foll - Leuenberger Rich Redden
int - Beams Black Lester Mcgrath

Big years ahead for Crisp, Wearden and Paps.

I am completely depressed about this and now all I am feeling is that we are completely stuffed for another 10 years because of this. We need a miracle now. We will lose out on almost every trade unless Rob Kerr is holding a magic wand and creates some magic.

Yeo was like pick 30 wasn't he? If we get somewhere around that for him we may have another Yeo.

Polec was just costing us hospital bills and liked to yell at guys who weren't marking up in the NEAFL. He wasn't in the 22 and didn't deserve to be.

Longer/Doc are waiting to see what the coaches deal is. Fair enough too - they didn't get a lot of games and may be given more chance next year. Especially Doc, I think .. if Yeo goes.

For each and every player who leaves, we'll get one (sometimes two) back. It's not ideal and is probably related to coach/board instability, but most of these guys weren't in a really solid position in the seniors anyway.

I'm excited about Beams, Harwood, Clarke, Mayes, Green and Lester stepping up to be regulars in the 22 and dominating by year's end.

Go the ****ing Lions.

Yeo was like pick 30 wasn't he? If we get somewhere around that for him we may have another Yeo.

Polec was just costing us hospital bills and liked to yell at guys who weren't marking up in the NEAFL. He wasn't in the 22 and didn't deserve to be.

Longer/Doc are waiting to see what the coaches deal is. Fair enough too - they didn't get a lot of games and may be given more chance next year. Especially Doc, I think .. if Yeo goes.

For each and every player who leaves, we'll get one (sometimes two) back. It's not ideal and is probably related to coach/board instability, but most of these guys weren't in a really solid position in the seniors anyway.

I'm excited about Beams, Harwood, Clarke, Mayes, Green and Lester stepping up to be regulars in the 22 and dominating by year's end.

Go the ******* Lions.
Yeah it is far from the end of the world but losing Yeo, far out! I am not a happy camper about that one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back